3.4 GHz Transverter Conversion (3.5 GHz WiFi transceiver)

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Re: 3.4 GHz Transverter Conversion (3.5 GHz WiFi transceiver

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

**Comments & Corrections**

I have attached a revised version of the spreadsheet for the ATMega in the TRI3500 transverter project.

In discussions with Dave 5KK we determined that pin 3 of the atmega is not connected to the pcb. This is because the board has a track error connecting pin 1 to 3 and as pin 3 is a ground in the atmega, this would disable PLL1. I never noticed that the pin had been removed when I took the ATMega8 off the board and probed the wiring!! Table in the spreadsheet has been corrected and also shows where a couple more pins go.

I have actually just fitted an ATMega 328 to the donor board for code development but as Lee has said I had to reroute two pins to allow use of the Arduino serial interface. The 328 runs fine and I have configured it according to the identified pins on the board, as far as we know. I am developing the code to program the two plls now. I intend doing a number of other things in the code besides just setting frequency. I tend to agree with Lee that it would be good to program the existing chip via the ISP port and will investigate that as soon as I have workable code running on the current setup.
ATmega in TRI3500 - v4.xls
ATMega in TRI3500
(160.5 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
The fun continues.......

Cheers Tim VK5ZT
VK3PK

Post by VK3PK »

H Tim/all,
I have also found out a few more things and have a modified spread sheet. It is probably worth having a
consolidated one at some time.
I have the ATmega8 under control and can set it to any frequency within the range of the VCO (which I am still to determine). If PLL1 is out of lock, it beeps at approx a 1 second interval until it locks up.

Re-programming the ATmega128 is quite easy from the Arduino IDE, when you temporarily configure and Arduino to be an ISP & select "Arduino as IP" and then Sketch>Upload using programmer. All you need to make is a programming lead... easy as! Using this is actually faster than using the normal Arduino bootloader etc.

A basic starting sketch is appended. Note that the PA is turned off, until someone gives me the logic that they would like implemented.

I propose to use PLL2 as a tune-up source (on 7th harmonic) ,which can be enabled by a link being present or not.
It will jump between two frequencies at a 1 second interval.
Lee VK3PK

This will run on an ATMEGA8L IE. as a Arduino NG
*/
//PLL1
#define LD1 0 //lock detect pin 30
#define LE1 1 //load enable pin 31
#define CE1 3 //chip enable pin 1
//PLL2
#define LE2 10
#define CE2 6
#define LD2 8
//PLL1 & 2
#define DATA 4 //for both PLL,s pin 2
#define CLK 5 //for both PLL,s pin 9

#define PA_PWR 2 //applies power to PA when PLL is locked
#define BEEPER 7
#define PWM 9 //drives a charge pump

//buffers for ADF4118 three most significant bits of low order byte are not sent
byte ref[3]= {0b00000000,0b00000000,0b00010100}; // 2Mhz
byte ncounter[3]= {0b00000000,0b00001011,0b10001101}; //1478 Mhz.
byte initialization[3]= {0b00000000,0b00000000,0b10010011}; // NORMAL OPERATION, DIGITAL LD, PHASE DETECTOR POLARITY - POSITIVE

void output(byte databuffer,byte bitmask)
{
//Serial.print(databuffer);
//Serial.print(" ");
while(bitmask!=0)
{

//output bits & clock them

//Serial.print(bitmask);
//Serial.print(" ");
if ((databuffer&bitmask)>0)
digitalWrite(DATA, HIGH);
else
digitalWrite(DATA, LOW);
digitalWrite(CLK, HIGH);
//delay(1);
digitalWrite(CLK, LOW);
//delay(1);
bitmask/=2;
}
}

void serialize(byte *databuffer)
{
//set up for sending 21 bits
output(*databuffer++,0x10); //send 5 bits, set mask bit to b5
output(*databuffer++,0x80); //send 8 bits, set mask bit to b7
output(*databuffer,0x80); //send 8 bits, set mask bit to b7
digitalWrite(LE1, HIGH);
delay(10);
digitalWrite(LE1, LOW);
delay(10);
//Serial.println();
}

void setup()
{
//Serial.begin(9600);
//check data levels in data sheet
pinMode(BEEPER, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(BEEPER, HIGH); //shut up beeper before it drives me crazy
pinMode(CLK, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(CLK, LOW);
pinMode(DATA, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(DATA, LOW);
pinMode(LE1, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(LE1, LOW);
pinMode(CE1, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(CE1, HIGH);
pinMode(PA_PWR, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(PA_PWR, LOW);
pinMode(PWM, OUTPUT); // PWM this has period of 123 uS. in original, but seems to be non-critical
analogWrite(PWM,128);
pinMode(PA_PWR, OUTPUT);
serialize(initialization);
serialize(ref);
serialize(ncounter);
serialize(ncounter);
}

void loop()
{
delay(1000);
if(!digitalRead(LD1))
{
//Toggle beeper
if(digitalRead(BEEPER))
digitalWrite(BEEPER, LOW);
else
digitalWrite(BEEPER, HIGH);
}
else
{
//silence beeper
digitalWrite(BEEPER, HIGH);
}
}
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi Lee

Well, you have been busy!

I suggest you add your information to the existing spreadsheet and up-issue it to 5 so we have some sort of configuration control!!
Just post the new one here...

The code looks good too. You have solved a couple of issues that were bothering me in my efforts!!
I am a relative newcomer to C++/Arduino etc. I really am a novice but learning fast.

OK on reprogramming the existing Atmega8....I had a look at that last night and pretty much discovered what you have explained.

One of the ideas we had discussed here is to use PLL2 as an alternate IF source to give the panel a 'beacon' mode without the need for an IF radio.

Anyway...I will certainly be using some chunks of your code in my project....cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Back to the RF bits (with due acknowledgement to the excellent work of VK3HZ, VK5ZT and VK3PK). The RF stuff just got a whole lot easier.....

Yesterday, with the assistance of David VK3QM (the instigator of this project), I converted two panel transverters to ham operation. Unfortunately, we damaged one of the filters taken from the "donor" boards (refer to the original conversion notes on this forum). The other transverter was a reasonably successful conversion, but the poor conversion gain got me thinking about an alternative to the filter that follows the RF amplifier section (noting VK2JDS's good work with pipe cap filters). The "donor" filter operates well down on its lower frequency skirt, which I imagine is pretty unpredictable from unit to unit, and clearly seemed to exhibit excessive insertion loss at 3400 MHz.

In discussing the above with Lou VK3ALB, it suddenly occurred to us both that in the process of conversion, a perfectly good tuneable block filter is liberated which can be used for this very purpose. Just simply wire in the (now unused) TX diplexer filter into the position where the excised RX filter used to be. A picture tells a thousand words.....see below. I used a couple of lengths of thin (2.5mm?) PTFE coax that I had on hand. One is about 135mm long, the other about 185mm.

The RX conversion gain jumps noticeably, and the filtering is so good that I can't measure the image rejection. Best of all, this makes the conversion process so much easier, and does not require scrapping another unit for its filter. I suppose they're $50 each now. :wink:

An EME162 MMIC kit placed in front of the whole shebang as an LNA further increases conversion gain, and for practical purposes, lowers the RX noise figure to the point where it's about as good as it needs to be for terrestrial operation.

I'm going to mount my transverter on my tower just to see how it turns out. Several other Geelong operators are thinking along the same lines.

Chas
VK3PY
Attachments
Post-RF Amp Filter
Post-RF Amp Filter
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Well done Chas and Lou !

This project just gets better and better.

The ones i have been making use dc and rf switching, just a cheap rf diode and another bc547 and some resistors and it will key up and run off any old uhf handheld, making the panel a truly portable handheld device with a 18650 pack or lipo battery on the back.
I must try out that tx filter idea with the semirigid. Have got some open on the bench now.

73 Dave vk2jds
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

VK2JDS wrote:
The ones i have been making use dc and rf switching, just a cheap rf diode and another bc547 and some resistors and it will key up and run off any old uhf handheld, making the panel a truly portable handheld device with a 18650 pack or lipo battery on the back.
Indeed, Dave. Just how easy can it be to get onto a microwave band? Just a year or so ago we used to refer to 3.4GHz as the "Cinderella band" due to the dearth of equipment available to hams. Now it turns out that this band is the easiest, and cheapest, microwave band on which to get started. One panel link and a cheap'n'cheerful Baofeng UHF FM hand-held radio is all that's required. And the results can be astounding, as I'm sure you you can attest. We're not talking about working across your back yard. Even with such apparently low power, distances of a couple of hundred km are attainable. Not only that, but the system capability can be expanded as time, finances and determination permit. This project is not a poor man's substitute for the real thing. It's the real deal.

Chas
VK3PY
VK3PK

Post by VK3PK »

Hi Tim,
OK on using PLL2 as a beacon source. That is a good idea! There is plenty of computing grunt left to do that. In fact you could probably implement a Robot to automatically make contacts for you to do propagation studies . hi hi!

I have changed the code a little, because I realized that the PLL only latches the last 21 bits so three lots of 8 bits can be banged out.

I believe PB1 is a TX ALC control , which varies the transmit power inversely proportional to the RX level,
so the LABEL for it should probably be ALC. However, in our operation we are probably not really concerned with that and therefore we probably do not need to implement the PWM at all, just set it to 0 or 1 (after I work out which way it should go).

Lee
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi Lee and Chas...

Chas

Using that surplus Tx filter is a neat idea....you may have altered the market for these units!!! I will probably do that on the 'donor' unit I am playing with.

Lee

OK on the code change....I had assumed that sending 24 bits would not matter...its done on other plls we play with. That is what I did on my first code effort. Unfortunately the plls did not lock. That's about the time you posted your code...which did not work either so I suspect I am chasing an error in the board wiring/pin designations. Easy enough to look at what's happening with a CRO when I get the time.

Also OK on the PWM output. I did not intend using that for anything and may re-designate the pin for something else after checking what is "normal" voltage there on my already converted unit. Tracing out where some of these last few pins go is getting pretty tedious!

FYI I plan to incorporate TX/Rx sequencing, optional change of IF, a beaconing mode generating a morse ident and rf detection to key the system (for fm, digtal modes) into the code. I reckon most of the rf circuitry required already exists in the form of the RSSI detection system!

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Hi all

I have finally finished the mods and am keen to see how it performs on the big day.

After a discussion with Lou i have done the mod Chas described but i used .085 hardline to try minimize losses but to get it to sit neatly was a little difficult in the end i just solded the hardline to the side of the ceramic filter and this seems to hold well.I tuned the tx filter with my sweep gen and the best insertion loss i could get was 5db however i fell this mod will do more to reject outer band signals and has a reasonably sharp responses around 3.4ghz? with this mod now every panel can be used and no donor panel needed.

i found the tin boxes really easy to remove waving my pencil gas torch around the top of the box till the solder melted

over all i think the hardest bit was trying to find a screw drive to fit the little trimmer cap :J

hopefully i can do an on air test before the big day!

Matt vk3pp
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK3PK

Post by VK3PK »

Hi Tim,
Made some discoveries today.
ADC0 measure the temperature on an LM50 silicon thermometer (near the ISP socket. :eh:
A compensating voltage proportional to the temperature is fed back to TX mixer1. The block diagram shows the TX driver but that is not correct. That is not required in our case, so the PWM code & pin is not required.

There is no TX squelch at the ATmega8. The IF signal drives the PA control voltage via the comparator & is only disabled by the micro if the PLL's enabled AND out of lock.

I have change the pre-compiler directives to calculate the A & B values for any frequency at compile time.
No more spread sheet & calculator. 8)

We have already been discussed some of the mods that you have suggested & have them on the drawing board. In particular, I will be implementing the sequencing in the next few days when I get an hour or so and some specifications of what is wanted..

Attached v5 of spreadsheet. I have made some comments as well as a few changes.
Lee VK3PK
Attachments
ATmega in TRI3500 - v5.xls
Update by Lee VK3PK 27/1/2016
(145 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi Lee

Great stuff....looks like we now have all the pins nailed down and there are plenty of spares...

Apart from the temp sensor, I had come to pretty much the same conclusions on the other pins. :)

Thanks for the updated spreadsheet.

I now have code running on my test board. An incorrect pin designation and a bridged track on the pcb conspired to stop it working!!
Having known good code (yours) to start with was handy! I reverted to my original code and with a couple of minor changes...it now runs OK.
I replaced that bloody annoying beeper with a led...much quieter! The led is flashed according to the error eg. two flashes if pll1 not locked, 4 for pll2.
As of late last night pll2 was not locking...that's tonight's problem! Once that is solved I will probably program the beacon mode and mod the board to support it which should be pretty easy.

The fun continues.....

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

The internal beeper can actually be quite useful for the constructor with limited test equipment. The beeper is used by the installation techs to set the azimuth of the panel. The stronger the signal, the faster the beeps. It starts responding when the RX input is greater than about -50dBm. It stops beeping after a few minutes. Cycle the power to the panel to start it again. Use a transmitting panel set a suitable distance away as your signal source, listen for an increase in the repetition rate of the beeps as the signal increases in the RX of the second panel. You can do all your RX adjustments using this approach. The end result is very close to that achieved with proper test equipment. You don't even need a receiver connected to the panel to make these adjustments.

Once you are done you can disable the beeper by putting a blob of solder across the two very conveniently placed pads indicated in the picture.
Mute that beeper
Mute that beeper
*edit* Not sure if I've mentioned this previously but I've tested these panels at 3398 and 3395 by simply reducing the IF frequency to 442MHz and 439MHz respectively. There was no noticeable change in performance but I did measure a small decrease in TX power < 200mW. So they're effectively future proof for some time to come.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

Due to the flurry of activity recently and in particular the significant change in the modification process for these panels I thought it best to get a new version of the conversion guide published. There are more things in the pipeline, specifically details of all the good work done in the coding area and I will add them to the manual as time permits.

For now I have deleted references to donor panels, changed the description of the conversion steps and added tick boxes on the check list page. I've also included a section on adjusting the filters using the audible S meter (beeper).

Of course E&OE

For those of you that have missed out on this exciting project we will have more panels at the Werribee Hamfest. It takes less than 8 hours to modify a panel, if you pick one up at the hamfest you could have it on the air in time for the 3.4GHz QSO party the following weekend.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Lou,

I'm glad I dragged the chain on this as Chas/David/Lou's lateral thought about re-using the Tx filter has simplified things even further. Better get onto it now though.

BTW, one minor comment. You mention at the end of the conversion notes that "bricking" the ATMega8 with dodgy code has no way back. The original code is attached to an earlier post here and, worst comes to worst, can be reprogrammed into the chip to bring it back to "factory fresh" :D

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi David,

Excellent news regarding your conversion. Even at my work rate they take less than 8 hours to convert. As for bricking the micro, yes I understand the risk is very low but it doesn't hurt to be a little cautious. There is more to be added to the manual and I imagine the micro section will increase the page count. There are many good ideas out there.

Now there's another bloke out there with a very excellent microwaver beard - I wonder how he's going? :om3:
Lou - VK3ALB

VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Same here, I'm glad I dragged my feet a little with starting the conversion, as now it seems easier.

All going well I'll get it finished before July so I can pick up another project at GippsTech 2016.

I just need to encourage some more microwave activity in VK1, otherwise I'll be talking to myself!
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK1JA wrote:I just need to encourage some more microwave activity in VK1, otherwise I'll be talking to myself!
If you have some people in mind why not bring them on board with the panels? An excellent introduction.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

H Lou,

I've done just that :)

Hopefully it stirs some interest locally, it certainly is a cheap and fun way to get on 3.5Ghz !
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

It's also fast to deploy and get on air.

Cheap WiFi panel - $25
Aldi bike stand - $40
Yaesu FT817 - $ not very much when you consider how versatile it is.

Playing on a band that had no activity only 12 months ago - Priceless.
Quick deployment
Quick deployment
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

VK3ALB wrote:
Yaesu FT817 - $ not very much when you consider how versatile it is.
At a pinch you could just hang a cheap'n'cheerful Chinese hand-held UHF rig onto the panel transverter and operate FM. Way cheaper than an FT-817, and many hams would already have a 70cm HT lying around, under-utilised.

Chas
VK3PY