Suggest a transceiver for Foundation Call

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4WDM

Suggest a transceiver for Foundation Call

Post by VK4WDM »

I am mentoring an elderly bloke towards his foundation license and he asked advice about what HF transceiver to buy. He is a pensioner and cannot afford big dollars. He would prefer something simple to operate with variable output power so he can use 100w once he up-grades. His main mode will be CW (ex RAAF and marine op, can still do 25wpm) and wants a wide band receiver as he is an avid SWL.

Suggestions please.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Re: Suggest a transceiver for Foundation Call

Post by VK6OX »

Hi Wayne, if you can find out what his max. budget is, then I think we'll be able to help with a number of options.
Without that detail it's a bit hard to offer any suggestions.
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Andy

I would say $600 would be the max but lower would be better considering the associated costs of the exam and license.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

A Kenwood TS 480 SAT would be a good entry choice if within his financial means. Fully power adjustable, internal auto tuner which can help on mismatched aerials, and a good performer on CW with adjustable IF even without extra filters.

Has two input ports for either straight key or iambic paddle plus two separate selectable aerial inputs.

Have seen a few appearing from time to time on the second hand market.

73's Nick
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Plenty of "shackinabox" type radios out there.

IC706, IC718, FT857, FT897 even the TS50 to name a few. You just need to be there at the right time when they come up on VKham.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

wayne a good cheap starter in the ic 718 a bit rough an ready re filtering etc but still serviceable . 5-650 they can be had for s/hand
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

Maybe a list of radios to avoid may be suitable??..
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

A bit older would be a good used FT-840 (Yaesu's version of the IC718 - or is the Icom a version of the Yaesu?). Rigs like the FT840 and IC718 don't have menus so should be quite easy to use. The FT747 is older than the FT840 but is cheap/plasticky looking.

A CW IF filter would be desirable but if you don't have one there are alternatives eg a homebrew filter from an op-amp or even a speaker held over a glass.

Even older (1980s) solid state rigs eg IC-751 would do the job and may have CW filtering and other features. However there may be issues with dry solder joints, unlocking PLLs, display problems etc. Rigs much older than this won't have the required general coverage receiver.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Spent the $850, it will be worth it.

http://www.vkclassifieds.net.au

Do not limit yourself with a non-digital tuned radio such as the TS-120s from 1977.
A digital display is no indication here (Many early Icoms do the display badly).
Stability is needed for digital modes.
The FT-840 in my collection is magic. Has full Rx coverage 0.5 - 30MHz.
CAT control is needed today for contest loggers and satellite doppler correction.

It will hold it's resale value.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Alan

That sounds like a great radio but not for my mate. To him paddles belong on a canoe, menus in a restaurant and digital is poking a finger in somebody's ear :D He is a Morse addict and once he gets his license 99% of his operating will be straight key CW, which he is really good at.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

I should think a modest power solid state unit of any reasonable age will do seeing he will be diddydahing , a suitable rx external to his ham radio can be had cheaply I expect , maybe a valve radio running less watts as I assume he would handle some tuning ?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"I assume he would handle some tuning?"

He thinks that modern ops have it too easy with our auto-tuners and such. He earned his craft on the big old valve gear of the 1950's and has no problem being the "2nd op" in the RAAF museum station VK4KG when we are running vintage gear. If anyone worked VK4KG on 40m CW in the RD contest he was most likely on the key, or when I was on the key he was my back up ears :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

exactly what he needs and he can run split if he want to chase dx and it wont break the budget. the guy who wins the qrp section of teh dx marthon uses 1 .
ts 120 with 2nd vfo.

cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG