Port forwarding issues on The HG659 Router

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Port forwarding issues on The HG659 Router

Post by ZL3MF »

Hi guys seem to be having some issues with port forwarding on the HG659 router here are my issues
My old Vodafone router worked 100% (HG556a) Vodafone has upgraded me to the HG659
Ok this is what I am trying to do:

Echolink

So I go to router setup
select Internet
select forwarding
an new port mapping
then go to add port mapping application
then add port application
I then add "Echolink"
External port xxx xxx (supplied by Echolink]
Internal port xxx xxx (supplied by Echolink)

TCP/UDP (supplied by Echolink]
When I do a "fire wall router test" this is what comes up...
"Local IP address: 192.168.1.5.

Firewall Test Results: FAIL.
The test successfully connected to the EchoLink server on TCP port 5200. This means that your system's TCP configuration is correct for use with EchoLink..
UDP ports do not seem to be blocked, but the tester did NOT receive a response to some of the UDP tests. If you have a router or firewall installed, be sure its Port Forwarding feature is correctly set. See Help for details..
In the current configuration, you might be able to connect with many of the nodes in the EchoLink system, including the EchoLink Test Server. However, you might experience problems connecting to certain other nodes, or accepting connections from certain nodes. For best results, please enable the Port Forwarding feature of your router, if possible..
There appears to be a router between this computer and the Internet. A router normally requires special configuration for use with EchoLink..
This version of Windows includes Windows Firewall. If Windows Firewall is enabled (which is the default), an exception must be added to un-block EchoLink and allow it to access the Internet. (If you chose the Unblock option when you first started EchoLink, this exception has probably already been added.)".

Have I missed anything? One thing I have noticed is there is no option for "NAT" settings and have no options regarding hosts computer IP address

Remember the old router worked 100%
Also having problems with my Sony Bravia snart TV and Panasonic Home Theatre system

The Panasonic logs into the WiFi 100% but will not access the Internet or I can not use my remote App on my iPhone (other router worked 100%)\

Also have a Sony App for the smart TV it does not work either (also other router worked fine)
What am I doing wrong?
Regards Mike

ZL3MF
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Port foewarding issues on The HG659 Router

Post by VK4TI »

looks right acording to the guide , did you reboot the router ?
if there is a common fault try again save and reboot
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK4TI wrote:looks right acording to the guide , did you reboot the router ?
if there is a common fault try again save and reboot
Hi yes have done all of that also checked for firmware update even put back to factory defaut and started again....no cigar.

Cheers Mike

ZL3MF
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

"ZL3MF"looks right acording to the guide , did you reboot the router ?
if there is a common fault try again save and reboot[/quote]

Hi yes have done all of that also checked for firmware update even put back to factory defaut and started again....no cigar.

Cheers Mike

ZL3MF""

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Per ... d-p/185746 has some salient suggestions

what happens when you go to a dos promt and type tracert to an external url ?
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

Re: Port forwarding issues on The HG659 Router

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi Mike,

Sounds like any device isn't getting out to the net.
Ok so you have an ip address no doubt dished out by DHCP of 192.168.1.5.
Start from basics... Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all, look for the network adapter that you are using. You might have to scroll up a bit.
Check the gateway address is what the router has been set up for. Often it is at one end of the subnet or other. something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254.

If OK try and ping the gateway address and see if there is a reply in so many milliseconds.
Next try ping google dns at 8.8.8.8 and see if you get a reply.

Do you get a reply? If not, there maybe a WAN config issue. If yes, you have at least basic connectivity.
Lack of being able to ping outside the router maybe an ATM VC Mux issue, wrong PVC, (0/100 for NZ) or wrong username / password for PPP.
Another problem can be if the router somehow is not masquerading your private IP address range behind the public IP assigned by the ISP.

You should be able to find a status page that shows if you have connectivity. Hopefully it provides a view of the public IP range.
If you see a public IP etc, you should be connected OK.

Setting inbound PAT (Port address translation) varies from router to router but you may have to set up the tcp / udp services as predefined objects and then apply to the inbound PAT rules.
If it has stateful firewall on, try turning it off to see if it works. Try and reduce it to the simplest config and work up from there.

cheers,

Simon
ZL1SWW