ISS Monday night

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK4KHZ

ISS Monday night

Post by VK4KHZ »

The following scheduled ARISS voice contact should be audible over Eastern Australia tomorrow night from 9:21 UTC on 145.800 FM.

Upcoming ARISS Contact Schedule:

Scuola Media Statale “G. Marconi”, Soleto, Lecce, Italy, telebridge via VK4KHZ The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be NA1SS The scheduled astronaut is Kimiya Yui KG5BPH Contact is go for: Mon 2015-11-23 09:20:40 UTC 87 deg Watch for live stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkFhGc2nes4 (***)

This pass will also be visible in many parts of Eastern Australia.
Last edited by VK4KHZ on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK4WDM

Re: ISS Monday night

Post by VK4WDM »

HI Shane

I will be listening.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

At the risk if demonstrating I know nothing about space comms: what direction should I beam (or would I be better off with my little halo?) and how big a signal can be expected?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

If you register with this site, enter your coords and then click on "ISS" it gives you the time, direction and angle above the horizon for the pass.
http://www.heavens-above.com/

Can't help with expected signal strength, I have never heard them.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Many thanks Wayne - sorted (I think). Cheers Grant VK3ZTE
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Grant

I am a space communication virgin. I have three satellite compatible radios but have never even heard a satellite much less worked through one. I can't seem to get my act together and sort out the technology - I need somebody to come into my shack and steer me through the process.

Using the Heavens Above site I have managed to see the ISS on visible passes and always listen just in case. Perhaps this will be the night when we hear them.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Thanks Shane for posting this up -

I have shared with some enthusiastic "future hams" - definitely the sort of thing that can inspire the masses....

Regards
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Loud and clear here 59+ in Townsville :D Dropped out at 09:28z. My first reception from space, thank you Shane :clap:

Wayne VK4WDM
Last edited by VK4WDM on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Well done Wayne. Nothing heard here though. I have to figure out what went wrong. Fairly quiet 2m front end, decent communications with proper FM discriminator, more than! 10dB of ant gain pointed in the right direction as far as I can tell but horizontally polarised! Did anyone else have success? Grant VK3ZTE
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Good signal here with just a quarterwave whip on the side of one of the masts on the house roof and alinco dual bander bolted under the kitchen shelf
It was dropping in and out towards the end of the pass. You need an omni antenna , there is plenty of signal from them
Well spoken fellow on the mic from up there.
73 Dave vk2jds
Last edited by VK2JDS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK5EI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5EI »

Good solid signal received in Adelaide. Hope all went well with the telebridge Shane.

Well done :clap: :clap:

Joe
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Heard here just SW of Brisbane by myself on a handheld and also by Nick VK4FNDG on a FM base/mobile at his home.
If nothing else, I found out that the astronauts use sleeping bags and are going to offload a pile of rubbish shortly to be taken back to earth.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Doug
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Well tonight's contact was hard work. The audio from the school was difficult to process and understand with lots of echo however the signal from the ISS was very strong.

Wayne, I am pleased you heard the Astronaut!

The radio used on the ISS was the Ericson Hand Held which is a 4 or 5 watt radio.

The local radio announcer from ZINC FM was also tied into the contact so hopefully the ARISS program will get some positive publicity.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Embarrassing - was tuned 1MHz low - ouch! Well done everyone else. Grant
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Oh...ZTE that will do it!
Maybe next time.
VK4ALF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ALF »

Great copy from the SW .I was on a hill waiting for the 23cm night and helped pass the time . Audio was really clear and the 817 made it easy ot follow dopler

Thanks for alerting us to the activity
Len Falknau VK4ALF

Facebook High Altitude Balloon Australia Discussion Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1649591138615809/