HF antennas on Mazda BT50

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK6MB

HF antennas on Mazda BT50

Post by VK6MB »

As indicated by the subject, I am looking for any information regarding how you have done your installion.
I have the Mazda alloy bullbar and a fibreglass canopy.
Has anyone had problems with RFI with regards to computer or the 3.2L 5cyl diesel?

Thanks
Mike VK6MB
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: HF antennas on Mazda BT50

Post by VK4TI »

You need a proper ground plane and bonding , http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs ... kup-trucks might help even if about cb antennas it is applicable
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

Thanks Barry,
That is a site I haven't seen before, I usually use this one
http://www.k0bg.com

I will probably go this way, with the VK2CD screwdriver base starting at the top of the tub -

http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g ... alNumber=2

73 Mike VK6MB
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

The mount shown would work but if the pickup already has a ladder bar then think about something there
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Mike,
I will be very interested in what rolls out of this, we have an older Holden Jackaroo Diesel (model year 2000), that has earlier style electronic injectors. This thing generates so much noise when running it defies description (S9 +40 on 7 MHz), so I opted for an older Holden Rodeo ute when I was looking for a ute for ham radio, minimal noise when motor running but it has other vices with fuel pump noise and birdies from its control micro.

As both our Jackaroo and Rodeo are getting old, a Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50 had been on our radar, so keenly watching.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

I suppressed my Holden Apollo (re-badged Camry) using all the normal techniques. Bonding straps every where, bypass capacitors etc, etc. Electric fuel pump suppression was a must as it was a major source of electrical noise. All this suppression significantly reduced the noise level but not to an acceptable level to me.

Problem was solved by the simple addition of an earthed mesh screen over the engine. Now there is no detectable noise on any band HF through the UHF with the engine running under any load conditions. Mesh held in place with heavy duty cable ties. Easy to remove if need be.
MESH OVER ENGINE
MESH OVER ENGINE
IMG_4538r.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
Also, but as yet not followed up or verified. The radiator is now days floating above earth hence could well provide an avenue for the electrical noise to escape from under the bonnet. Direct earthing of the radiator core is not on as this would lead to accelerated corrosion (most are aluminium these days). Earthing would need to be via capacitor to ensure DC isolation is maintained between the radiator core and vehicle chassis.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3GYH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3GYH »

Hi Mike,

I too would be interested in seeing how you go.

I am in the process of fitting an Icom IC-706 MK. 1 into my Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. It has the 1HZ indirect injection diesel engine - so I will be curious to find out what sources of noise it generates against the more modern direct injection diesel motors, hence it would be good to compare some notes. As I go along, I will try and take some photographs as well as document my installation and findings - these will probably end up on my website.

Cheers, Mike P.
Cheers and 73,

Mike VK3GYH / M0GYH

"De omnibus dubitandum"