2m/70cm JT65 and other modes like CW

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

2m/70cm JT65 and other modes like CW

Post by VK3MEG »

HI seeing a bit more activity on this mode i cant run fsk on my ic7100 with out an inteface so jt it is for me. seems to be a good mode rex vk7mo mention jt65a would be best and it seems to work ok also he has some ideas re who first the Southern station = even the north station = odd seems to work and no overlapping each other. with the summer coming up and new evolutions of this software things are looking interesting.

also for 6m consider jt65 for above 52 meg

secondly have you considered cw . i'm a hf dx'er and ended up having to learn cw to get some of the tough ones but it can also be usefull on the higher bands. its pretty easy now with good keyers and decoders its another tool for the tool box. Best if you learn your call sign by sound but not nessacary. i realized alot of you ex z calls didnt get morse me i didnt get a license because of cw. when a contact is thin it quite often comes through for you.
73's
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK7MO
Forum Novice

Re: 2m/70cm jt65 and other modes like cw

Post by VK7MO »

There might be a miss-understanding of my position. The World Wide standard which we follow in VK is JT65b for 2 metres and 70 cms. This allows for the drift which some stations suffer at VHF and UHF. At 1296 where drift can be greater the standard is JT65c. The reason I mentioned JT65a is that VK7FFB was running WSJT-X which is not yet optimised for JT65b and is about 6 dB down in sensitivity. I expect this will be fixed over the next month or so - but in the meantime it is better to use WSJT10 and JT65b on both 2 metres and 70 cms to keep with the standard and allow for stations who have moderate drift (ie not GPS locked). Another standard is that Southerly and Easterly stations TX first period and it is also best to use the focus frequency in the Bandplan of 144.225 and 432.225 for JT65 or if there is interference go up 100 kHz to 144.325 and 432.325 as also listed in the bandplan.

73 Rex VK7MO
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: 2m/70cm JT65 and other modes like CW

Post by VK3HZ »

If the FSK you are referring to is FSK441 in WSJT10, then it uses the same interface between radio and PC as JT65b.
So, if you can run JT, you should have everything you need to run FSK.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ