Heads Up!: 2015 Spring VHF-UHF Field Day

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Heads Up!: 2015 Spring VHF-UHF Field Day

Post by VK2ZRH »

For those that have not yet noticed, the rules for the 2015 Spring VHF-UHF Field Day have been posted to the WIA website, here: http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/

Posted as a community service announcement. :)
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3LL

Re: Heads Up!: 2015 Spring VHF-UHF Field Day

Post by VK3LL »

The Management and Staff of VK3KQ/p is pleased to advise that we will be operating from our usual portable location in the Ross Creek State Forest, near Enfield, around 25km south of Ballarat, QF12VG.

The Spring Field Day will see some slight changes to our antennas on 2m and 70cm, with the yagi heights now optimised for ground gain. We'll be posting our location on the Contest Radar and also running AirScout for some AE experiments if anyone is interested - we have a nearly ideal path for AE contacts into Adelaide, Mt Gambier, Canberra and central VK7 for such experiments (perhaps it has something to do with our FD site being an old VOR navaid location). Our 70cm operator Mike VK3RZ will be leading our AE endeavours as he is significantly more experienced in these matters than myself.

As per the Winter FD, we'll have three operators: Ralph (me!) on 6 and 2mx, Mike on 70cm and Damian on 1296-10GHz. :om3:

Incidentally, for 9cm operation we have modified our IF so we can operate on either 3398.150 OR 3400.150MHz. Can we get an indication of what frequency others around VK3 will be using so we can program up our rig controller accordingly?

Cheers, and good luck in the contest.

Ralph VK3LL
(part of the VK3KQ/p team)
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

I'm sure this one should be in the Contests, Field Days, Portable, SOTA part of the forum. No wonder I couldn't find it in there when it disappeared from my New Posts listing.

I plan to be back at Beechmont (SE Qld) for this one as I have some unfinished business from that locality. Typically, operations from 50MHz to 10.3GHz are anticipated and I, too, would like to know if 3398.150 OR 3400.150MHz is where to find other VK4 operators. I might have a second operator (grandson is now an F-call) this time so that will change my category.. (hmmm...) although it will still only be Saturday lunchtime until dark operation.

This FD is only a few weeks away so I will have to get the transverters on the workbench for a cross-check - and frequency change if required - as soon as I have this weekend's JOTA activities out of the way.

Speak to you all then.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all!

Subject, as always, to the weather, I propose to be operating for a couple or three hours from Mt Gravatt in Brisbane (QG62MK) on the Saturday evening after about 6:00 p.m, then re-commencing on the Sunday morning from the Border Ranges National Park (QG61NP) in Northern VK2 from around 6:00 a.m through to the end of the contest period.

All bands from 50 MHz to 76 GHz will be available for use. On the 'busy' bands, SSB operating frequencies will, as usual, be the main calling frequency of .150 on each band with frequent QSY'ing to .175 or other frequencies close by. I will usually also be keeping an eye on 146.5 MHz and 439.0 MHz FM simplex channels, which often also serve sometimes as liaison frequencies for microwave operating.

Regarding liaison, mobile 'phones (Testra, at least) don't work at the Border Ranges site - they hear just too many base stations - so greater reliance will have to be on SSB and/or FM on 2 metres or 70 centimetres for liaison.

All QSOs will be appreciated and enjoyed. Let's all have fun!

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

VK4ADC wrote:I, too, would like to know if 3398.150 OR 3400.150MHz is where to find other VK4 operators..
The FD is now less than 3 weeks away now and I am in a quandary as to whether to shift my operations down the 2MHz on this band.

We really need to know where to look for the other end so now is the time to settle this.
Get your fingers on the move on the keyboard and tell us all where you will have your gear set up for ... 3398.150 or 3400.150.

It's not like we are talking 2KHz where a quick sweep of the tuning knob will find you so please take the time to respond NOW.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Doug,

I suggest you stay where you are. To my knowledge no licenses have been issued in the 3400 - 3425 range so there is no reason for you to move. By all means we should plan for the time when we must move but right now I think our time would be better spent making the usual preparations.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Absolutely Lou,

Why vacate a frequency allocation voluntarily when it is unnecessary at the moment?

The way things are progressing with the NBN, we could be waiting many years before the allocation closest to 3400 is actually used.

Like the VK3LL team, it is a simple matter to change the IF to 143 (from 145) to get down to 3398 Mhz if ever needed.

The VK3ER/p team will still be calling on 3400.150 as usual.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

I will stay with the consensus and remain on 3400.150 until further notice..
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

Can't make it for the field day....will be in the Barossa at an air force reunion, I have a feeling it ain't going to end well!!

Phil VK4CDI
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Okay, by popular vote, VK3KQ/p will also remain on 3400.150MHz as well. Thanks for the advise Lou and Peter.

Ralph VK3LL
VK3APW
Forum Novice

Post by VK3APW »

Just wondering if any stations will be sporting 24 & 47GHz in VK3 ( apart from 'ER ), for the Spring FD, please?

Peter vk3apw
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3APW wrote:Just wondering if any stations will be sporting 24 & 47GHz in VK3 ( apart from 'ER ), for the Spring FD, please?

Peter vk3apw
We will
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Peter,3APW,

We will have our usual 24 and 47GHz setup, but those trees are still a problem towards the south and west. (not to mention the Brisbane Ranges which block the direct path to the Geelong township area)

Depending on where you operate from, we will certainly give it a go.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings again to all.

Developments that have happened since my earlier posting.....now, weather permitting, I will only be operating on the Saturday evening - I have a non-radio commitment on the Sunday morning that I need to be involved with.

So on the Saturday evening from around 6:00 p.m. (or a shade after) onwards, I'll probably be at Mt Gravatt as previously indicated, but I am also considering seeking land-holder permission to use one place or other on Mt Cotton in greater Brisbane - not hugely different, but it's always interesting to use a different location.

Regarding the 9 cm band, I'll be happy to offer contacts on either 3400.150 MHz or 3398.150 MHz.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug, VK4OE.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Saturday afternoon is the Melbourne QRP by the Bay gathering (details https://www.facebook.com/events/698958660206329/ ).

But weather permitting we might take along a small 2m SSB station. So you may well hear multiple callsigns on air.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Hi,

Blue Mts. BMARC will be trying, yes trying from Andrew VK2XPT's place Mt Riverview.
6m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm, SSB and possibly FSK441

Alan VK2ZIW (BMARC secretary.)
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

I've just sent an email seeking access to Kobble Creek site.... and if granted, I will be active on 2.4 and 10GHz late Sat afternoon and again early Sunday morning.

10GHz LNA also arrived in post yesterday, and will be fitted this weekend.

Station:
2.4GHz: 30w 24dbi gridpack
10GHz: 3w 60cm prime focus dish

Grid: QG62JR93
ASL: 370m
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

Looking forward to the Field Day.
We have done a little preparation work . :om3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3L7GrN6PJg

Cheers
Damian VK3KQ
0439 399215
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Have just received a note from the owner of the Kobble Creek site that it is now locked (due to consistent trespassers :thumbdown: and the commencement of road rebuilding).

Luckily I will be provided access to the key for Sunday morning as the result of cleaning up rubbish from the site on my last visit (removed a couple of bags of McD wrappers, beer bottles, cigarette buts, etc).

With access only on Sunday, I will definitely only take 2.4 & 10GHz with me, and leave behind only footprints!

Saturday afternoon I may operate from home or just behind me from the Clear Mt lookout... will announce on the day (sorry).
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I will be operating from home which does not have a good outlook to the south, but you never know, some sporadic E might kick in. Will only be on 6m,2m,70cm. Haven't got 23 or 3cm organized yet (don't have enough time to do things once you "retire"!)

Wayne VK4WDM