23cm from PF88jt

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

23cm from PF88jt

Post by VK5TX »

Hi,

I have around 20w on 23cm into a 15 element antenna located in PF88jt.

Is it worth getting it out of the shed and putting it up to have a play?

I am only use to playing over short distances.

Ben
VK2AAE
Forum Novice

Re: 23cm from PF88jt

Post by VK2AAE »

I have no 23cm gear and NO experience with 23 cm at all but I write to say I am pleased to see someone try !
Trust the 23cm crew can give u an idea how it might go and give some encouragement.

pat r
VK2AAE
VK4ALF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ALF »

I have 2 w and have worked 100+km on voice and 200+km on digital . And am seriously surprised at the activity in Se QLD . There are a few guys always willing to answer your calls and when you are experimenting this is really helpful . I hope you experience the same when you get on air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Len Falknau VK4ALF

Facebook High Altitude Balloon Australia Discussion Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1649591138615809/
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi there Ben,
had to use the mapping tool to find your grid :D so now know where you are, there are active people in Pt Pirie and I some I believe in Pt Augusta but I believe it might be a case of by arrangement if you want some signals.

Looks like its about 200Km to the nearest centre of activity, given a bit of patience I am sure you will get some contacts.
I have worked Barry, vk3BJM when he was portable at Mt Arden from a spot near my home (my QTH is poor in your direction) so the actual distance is not the big problem, activity can be a blockage.

The one call that comes to mind is Alex, vk5alx, I think he has a good 23cm station, maybe it is time to follow the lead of the VK4's and have a local version of 23cm on each 23rd.

Good luck and let us know how you go
Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Ben

I also can operate 23cm from Gawler where I have a good outlook in the northerly direction. Like Peter I have also worked Barry VK3bjm from the MT Arden area with good signals. Also as Peter mentioned Alex VK5ALX has good setup in Whyalla and I have worked him several times with 5/9 signals. The other station that was active and I worked on several occasions from the northern area was Ron VK5KRA from Snowtown.

If you want to get setup and want to try let me know, always happy to give it a try.

73's Brian
VK5BC

ps -good idea Peter to follow the VK4 idea of 23cm nights
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Hi Ben,
Rare gridsquare, hope you can survive the summer heat!
Inland tropo propagation is rare, compared to the coastal stuff. Just look at the Hephurn charts.
If you can monitor Adelaide beacons or repeaters and alert us via the Logger when conditions are good, then you have a good chance of getting through.
If good conditions happen during a field day, even more chances of succsess.
I have worked Woomera on 2 and 70 SSB pre 1990 and later a 10W SSB station at Roxby on 2M.
Why not put up a simple 6M dipole and make use of that rare gridsquare with some summer E,s in December and January, while waiting for the 23cm troppo !
Cheers
Phil
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Sounds to me like the VK5s need to adopt the 23-on-23 operating event concept to create a focus for generating 23cm activity.

In SE VK4 the correlation between these operating events and the renewed level of activity (and investment in 23cm station capabilities) would be impossible to separate [but no doubt some pundit will argue otherwise :think: ].

This scheduled activity not only ensures that there is someone at the other end of the path, but also provides avenues for experimenting with the various propagation modes on paths, and in turn creates levels of activity to enable further experimentation.

Cases in point:
1. AE path to NSW - the 400 - 440km path between stations in BNE and Grant VK2MAX in Kempsey has been 'opened' via the use of AE. The learnings from this have now created highly reliable openings utilising planes in the now defined hot spots, and also highlighted the difference in paths and opportunities available to the BNE stations based on their location (relative to the plane paths), near terrain, etc.
2. Scatter paths - highly obstructed paths from stations in the north west of BNE to teh Sunshine Coast have been overcome by using scatter paths nearly 100 degrees off the LoS or true path.
3. Lightning scatter - using a storm that extended from a mid-point between VK4KAY (Warwick 126km) and VK4CZ, to over VK4CZ produced significant enhancement with MS like pings/burns from lightning strikes within the storm (and it also produced a nervous operator as the lightning struck not far along the ridge :crazy: )

This Friday provides the next of these opportunities. Who in VK5's going to pick up the challenge? :thumbup:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

I was think the same thing. My wife and I have just relocated to Broken Hill QF08rb and was wondering if putting up my 23cm antenna.

It will be about 3 months before I get to put it up. Will there be any interest from people to work Broken Hill on 23cm.

Eddie
VK4EDD/2
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

VK4EDD wrote:I was think the same thing. My wife and I have just relocated to Broken Hill QF08rb and was wondering if putting up my 23cm antenna.
It will be about 3 months before I get to put it up. Will there be any interest from people to work Broken Hill on 23cm.
Eddie VK4EDD/2
The answer would be Yes yes and Yes please :om2:
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Eddie

The answer is yes, look forward to working you.

73's Brian
VK5BC
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Firstly, Ben, should be able to work you from here on 23cm when presented with the solid tropo conditions I often get from the Port Pirie area.

Secondly, Eddie, I have worked a few stations at Broken Hill before, on the 2m repeater and simplex 2m. There used to be some 2/70cm beacons there also. I only get good conditions there probably half as often as I would to Adelaide, but it does happen.
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Eddie, yes
i have clear western takeoff from the mountain here at qf46pv, its at 940metres, no obstructions, running a second 4.6metre dish, dipole feed and 100 watts on 23cm

73 Dave vk2jds :om3:
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Hi All,

Sounds like I need to put the 23cm up. Like I said will be about 3mths before I get it up.

When it is in operation it will be 10 watts into a 35el yagi. Might have to look at getting an amp to give me a bit more oomph.

Will let you all know when operational.

Eddie
VK4EDD/2
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Hi Ben,

If you are still in PF88jt in about 3mths look forward to seeing if we can make the contact.

All the best,

Eddie
VK4EDD/2
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

Looks like I need to build a better antenna

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
VK5BI
Forum Novice

Post by VK5BI »

Ben,
at some stage I will be venturing up into the mid north PF96F (Gulnare) to work some DATV with alex vk5alx in Whyalla.
I also have a 23cm transverter which I could also take and give the path a try. I would be about 330m ASL.

Wayne VK5BI