6 meter Quad

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
P29ZAD

6 meter Quad

Post by P29ZAD »

My dipole just does not seem to work well enough to make a QSO with VK on 6 meters.

I'm a newbie at making antennas and supplies are hard to find here my QTH but I have made a 2 meter quad with P29TL.

Does anyone have a simple 2 element quad design for 50 MHz?

Hope to work VK and the rest of the Pacific soon on 6 meters.

Jerry
P29ZAD
http://p29zad.blogspot.com/
VK4WDM

Re: 6 meter Quad

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Jerry

I have used a quad on 6m with very good success but it is going to need more than two elements to be really useful - four would be minimim and six would be much better. I will have a rummage around and see if I can find the design. You can put the 2m quad on the same boom and spreaders.

With the sun spot cycle on the up 6m is going to get very exciting in the need few years with worldwide contacts possible. 6m stations in P29 are quite rare so it would be worthwhile putting up a good yagi at some stage - you will be in great demand!

I travel to PNG quite often and have good contacts in the aviation industry so it should be possible to get the materials to you if you can't get them locally.

What is your QTH?

Wayne VK4WDM (Townsville)
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Welcome to VK Logger Jerry, and the associated Forums.

Why a quad?
They are large and somewhat cumbersome.

You would do very well with a 5 element yagi.

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I know from experience that getting alloy tubing to make a yagi in PNG, esp the remote parts, is extremely difficult wheras wire and wood for a quad can usually be found almost anywhere.

I suggest that Jerry puts up a quad initially and I will try and figure out how I can get the makings of a a yagi to him later in the year. We certainly need more VHF activity from P29 and I will be pleased to help out anyway I can.

Wayne VK4WDM
P29ZAD

Post by P29ZAD »

I have thought about a yagi, but Wayne VK4WDM is correct and the supplies are harder to find. I have the wood and wire and would like to make this antenna for little or no cost if possible.

Jerry
P29ZAD
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

There is a good design at
http://www.softcom.net/users/kd6dks/quad.html

Once you get above about 4 elements you are probably better off with a yagi. There seem to be more urban myths about quads than any other antenna.

David
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Jerry

Drop me an email at: nmelrose5@bigpond.com re your location in PNG and we will start talking about getting you a yagi.

I can make the elements telescopic and fit them into a large mailing tube or similar item such as a poster transportation case. The boom might be a bit more of a challenge but it could be made in three pieces to fit into the container (or you might be able to scrounge a piece of gal pipe).

I travel to PNG on health project activities four or five times a year and we usually carry a lot of gear, so the addtion of a large mailing tube etc will not be a problem.

I also have some contacts in the aviation industry up there that gives us another option for transport.

Meanwhile give the quad a go.

Wayne
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

If you do build a quad, 3 elements would be a better choice as it is easier to obtain a direct 50 ohm match with 3 elements as well as a bit more gain and directivity. This would save some effort in building a matching system to suit a 2 element design. If you find a design you are happy with I would be happy to run it thru EZNEC....let me know.
Good Luck
Paul vk4apn Cairns
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

There is also a very effective wire only antenna that you could easily try. Half Square. I have built several of these over the years and work very well and certainly better than a dipole. I have the EZNEC file of the last one built....to give you some ideas. 50 ohm direct feed, bi-directional pattern, 4.5dbi gain. antenna is essentially 2 vertical 1/4 radiators joined by horizontal 1/2 wave at the top, fed at the junction of the vert/hor section (either end). I can send you further details and printouts if you are interested.
Paul vk4apn Cairns
VK4CC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4CC »

I know the original post was a request for a design for a two el quad but I thought I'd share my opinion on two el quads on 6m.

This is my first season on 6m and I am using a 2 el quad as my first 6m "beam" antenna. I have found it to be very good with strong contacts into VK2, VK3, Vk5, VK7, ZL and A35. I am considering two more elements for next summer and am tossing up whether to add them as directors in a 4 element design or stack them as a second 2el array. One of the features of 2el is a wide "aperture" with acceptable front to back ratio and good side rejection. Adding 3dB by stacking the 2 x2el quads and keeping this wide angle view is quite appealing. (I also have a 20el yagi on 70cm and have had trouble aiming it accurately)

My humble opinion only.

Col
VK4CC

PS The quad is a portable 2el commercial product from the US and is very easy to assemble and erect. Email me if you want the manufacturer details.
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi Jerry,
If you want an easy to build, remote locale supplies friendly, design that works:
http://www.shelbrook.com/~ve7ca/AntSix.htm
There is a link on the page to his original article on 2 element quad for 6 metres, plus he has a design to add a director if you want.
Hope this is useful.

VK3KH
Michael.