6m Beacon beacon renewals

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

6m Beacon beacon renewals

Post by VK5BC »

Wonder what this item on the WIA website really means

http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

It can be read that 6m beacon licenses below 50MHz won't be renewed and will cease after 9th Sept, surely this isn't correct.

Brian
VK5BC
VK3LL

Re: 6m Beacon beacon renewals

Post by VK3LL »

Is that the correct link Brian?

I cannot see any reference to either 6m or Beacons on the link you have nominated.

Warm regards,
Ralph VK3LL
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Ralph

It is the correct link, what it read earlier was as follows-:

ACMA licensing shut-down announced
Date : 03 / 08 / 2015
Author : Jim Linton - VK3PC

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has announced that it will suspend all apparatus licence processing from Friday August 14 to Tuesday September 1, to replace its licensing and frequency processing system. The ACMA in announcing this two week closure, acknowledges the need to bring a more efficient process to Apparatus licences, which are widely used including by the Amateur Service.

The Wireless Institute of Australia highly recommends that if your licence is due for renewal during the closure period, to immediately renew it even if this is well before its expiry date. If you or your club need to renew a licence for a 6 metre beacon on a frequency below 52MHz prior to September 9, please contact the WIA immediately. This is because the ACMA are not renewing beacon or repeater licences below 52MHz after September 9, and the shut-down may affect any that have still not been renewed.

The ACMA in a statement said that during the shut-down, there will be no apparatus licences processed, device registrations or licence renewals. Processing of them resumes on Wednesday September 2. Most licensees will not notice the shut-down, but in some cases the ACMA warns there may be delays. Although the shut-down period has been announced, the ACMA foreshadowed the new HELMS system earlier this year.

You will note that the last 2 sentences of the middle paragraph have disappeared, strangely since I posted this forum.

Regards Brian
VK5BC
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

It was an error, unfortunately. :o
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Well there you go Brian - the mystery of the missing words has been solved :clap:

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Roger

Thanks for that. My concern now is that clubs or at least the Barossa club received a letter which also had this incorrect info in it, I trust the clubs will receive another letter clarifying the situation.

regards Brian
Vk5BC
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Where did that letter come from ? :eh:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello,
at a club meeting last night (1st Sept), I could see that the license for our 50.315 MHz beacon was issued for a much shorter period than the normal 12 months and is quite clearly set to expire on the 9th of September. The club treasurer has tried to renew the license and was told that the license can not be renewed due to some higher level injunction being in place on them by the ACMA as the band is now being reviewed for possible reallocation.

It is all a bit confusing and at this point the VK5RBV beacon will be turned off on the weekend before Sept 9th to avoid us running it un licensed.

does any one have any concrete info on what is happening?

Peter, vk5pj
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

I as a beacon keeper and holder of licence I received an email from RSM very similar.
I was told that the 50.024 beacon needed a new licence.
RSM have released the low band TV 44-51 managed writes and therefore the beacon had to be re-licensed.
I accepted the change and paid the small fee and now were are fit for another year. Took about 5mims on line. Sounds to me like AMCA should talk with RSM !! :idea:

I emailed RSM to ask if the ministry would now look at 45Mhz beacon licences and they say there are happy to look into it.
This was mentioned here... http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10709

Stick another shrimp on the Barbie. :D

Mark
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

the band is now being reviewed for possible reallocation.
Hopefully its a review that will result in re-allocation to the ARS as primary and not to some other service. If it is going to be re-allocated to the the ARS then there is obvious confusion about what ham assets can be re-allocated to the re-allocated band! :crazy:

It sound's like a script for a "yes minister" episode!

Wayne VK4WDM :? :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

people who build run finance beacons at the pleasure of others cant prevail forever.
I am donating aerials and beacon to SERG, maybe they can afford to run it.
Tread your own path :om: