Deco Mast Bolt sizes and type

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK3OD

Deco Mast Bolt sizes and type

Post by VK3OD »

Hi

Anyone know the bolt sizes used in the Deco mast sections? My rough measurments indicate something around 13 or 14 mm and would need to be at least 105mm long. Did Deco use metric
bolt sizes? They could have possibly used 1/2 inch bolts with a bit of play? I have the larger Deco heavy duty sections and because of the recessed mounting holes its hard getting the calipers in there for an exact size measurement.

I am also curious about the structural standards for these bolts. I have the option of using AS1252 Bolts or Class 8 bolts or nuts. I dont really want to spend excessive amounts of money on
bolts whose specifications I dont really need. Neither do I want to use generic Chinese suicide Bolt Like objects! There seems to be wide variety of structural and high tensile bolts, nuts and washers available and the subject of their intended use seems to be a very complicated subject.

Any advice appreciated

Craig
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Deco Mast Bolt sizes and type

Post by VK4TI »

might help http://www.westcoastfasteners.com.au/pd ... ndbook.pdf

personally I would use at least grd 8 or better , perhaps if they have an email asking might assist

To measure the diameter use some tapered swages to assemble some sections , mark a swag and measure it , obviously a close meachanical fit is the strongest solution bepending on tollerances .
Good luck
B
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

This question had me digging around in my files in the garage and I found this detail. see enclosed pic :)

I'll keep looking, I think I have other Deco docs too.

regards

Tim
Attachments
Deco-detail-1.jpg
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

And here's a bit more detail :)

If you need a a hi-res version or this please ask, I cant upload the full size scan since its about an A3
Attachments
deco-detail-2.png
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK