SOTA Disaster

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

SOTA Disaster

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

Here's a tale of how things can go wrong even while playing amateur radio. It also shows how the ham spirit is not easily deterred. Glad no one got injured.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Re: SOTA Disaster

Post by VK3BQ »

tony vk3cat, who helped peter's view also https://vk3cat.wordpress.com/2015/09/28 ... table-day/
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

What a drama!

A bit of a shock, I bet, but everyone is OK, and most of the gear was saved.

I was thinking as I read this account, maybe a fire extinguisher would have saved the vehicle, BUT maybe it was a blessing in disguise for the total loss of the vehicle. The engine failure and fire, even if it had been put out quickly would have still left you with a dead, slightly burned car that would have required expensive repairs.

Good job to be able to stop the vehicle where it didn't set the bush alight. Hopefully your insurance company is generous and you will have your vehicle replaced and back on the trail very soon.

That's pretty country down there. I drove to Tanjil Bren in March this year to cycle up Mt Baw Baw, No. 6 of my 7 Peaks Challenge. The next day I cycled from Omeo to Dinner Plain and return for No. 7.

Luke VK3HJ
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Hi all,

The fire took hold very rapidly. I only had a couple of minutes to get gear out. All of the SOTA & /p gear was in the back and I had a little more time to retrieve it.

RF wise, I lost:
1 x IC-2820 (body bolted to the underside of the front passenger seat, so I did not even try!)
1 x 2 m/70 cm dual band whip
1 x 40 m whip
a handful of miscellaneous between series RF adapters
3 antenna mounts plus a heavy duty mounting base
plus all the DC and RF wiring....

The claim was lodged via 'phone on Saturday evening and I believe someone went up yesterday to retrieve the carcass. If that happened, it should be inspected by the Assessor tomorrow. I uploaded a couple of documents relating to "personal items" plus a photo of the fire this afternoon. We shall await an outcome on a claim, after having been paying premiums on the vehicle since new with the same company....

Thanks to everyone for their interest and thoughts.

The interesting thing was that we could not initially raise anyone at home in a shack with a phone available to make the call to emergency services. We needed to go via another portable operator who had phone coverage. Later, we had another amateur (at home) call in and effectively take over - Col VK3LED had knowledge of CFA Comms procedures and good map skills, so were able to get a better location fix through via Col.

I do recommend that everyone download and install the Emergency+ App on their mobile phone.

Cheers,

Peter VK3PF
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

Hi Peter,

A close shave,good to see no injuries.

Do you know what caused the fire? Timing belt etc.

cheers
Frank
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK7DX wrote:Hi Peter,

Do you know what caused the fire? Timing belt etc.

cheers
Frank
I guess fuel line/filter/hose came off.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Google forrester engine fires , millions have had repairs it seems as it is a well known problem