"Drones" and Advanced AR Licence?

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Re: "Drones" and Advanced AR Licence?

Post by VK2DUX »

VK4UQ do you actually fly drones? I do and have done so for many years.

The MAAA is a hobby association (much like the WIA if you like) but has no regulatory control over air space. CASA is the responsible regulatory/licensing government authority. Are we clear on that?
VK4UQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4UQ »

flying drones for "many years" makes you an authority on it all....
Couldn't possibly be wrong?
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Re:

Post by VK2DUX »

VK4UQ wrote:flying drones for "many years" makes you an authority on it all....
Flying a drone has the potential to seriously injure or even kill a person. Persons engaging in such an activity should do so in a safe lawful manner. Is that to hard to grasp?
VK4UQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4UQ »

And your last statement has what to do with an Advanced AR licence and FPV.....
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Re:

Post by VK2DUX »

VK4UQ wrote:And your last statement has what to do with an Advanced AR licence and FPV.....
Do you actually have an interest in the topic or perhaps just the argument?

In respect to FPV transmitter availability in excess of 25mw (the legal limit) it is common for Australian retailers to sell 600mw Immersion Units. I wonder if they advise customers that they need an advanced amateur radio licence to legally operate such equipment?

And just for you VK4UQ here is such a retailer;

https://mongrelgear.com.au/fpv-tx-rx/im ... etail.html
Last edited by VK2DUX on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Gents, gents :)

FWIW I retired at the end of last year from ATC with Airservices after 36 years, the last 19 of which in ATC Ops. Support dealing with (amongst other things) Defence & CASA and these aircraft & associated regulations, everything from Global Hawk & Predator to dinner plate sized ones.

CASR (Civil Aviation Safety Regulations) Part 101 came into effect in 2002, well before such things as FPV became available, so that's why it and some other things aren't specifically mentioned. There is a project to review the regulations and bring them up to date with respect to current technology and activity:

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/c ... operations

CASA has published some explanatory material here:

https://www.casa.gov.au/operations/stan ... ft-and-rpa

As has Airservices:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/ser ... -airspace/

CASR Part 101.055 states:
101.055 Hazardous operation prohibited
(1) A person must not operate an unmanned aircraft in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, another person, or property.
I'm told that it is CASA's view that compliance with this would be difficult for FPV sole operator activity, when the operator could only see the camera view instead of the whole operating area including the vehicle itself. The MAAA have come up with a policy for its members that mitigates the hazard, that apparently CASA is satisfied with.

If anyone wants confirmation or clarification as to any aspect re legality or permissibility, see the contact information down the bottom of this page:

https://www.casa.gov.au/operations/stan ... rcraft-rpa

As this is an amateur radio forum, perhaps the discussion is best confined now to simply the AR aspects rather than regulatory :)
Damien VK3RX
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

Thanks for the info VK3RX and yes I am aware of the matters under current discussion. I have no problem with the MAAA's submission, which in my view relates to activities conducted under their auspices. But we both know that the MAAA has little or no influence among park flyers. I have real concerns regarding the grey areas of FPV, even for events conducted by MAAA. The whole issue relates to potential for negligence either by the FPVer or their spotter. It will only take one unfortunate incident for the no FPV to be reinstated for MAAA sanctioned events as well.

It really it is an issue that the government need's to deal with, to provide certainly for both the hobbyist and the public.

p.s. I know many fellow hams who are also into drones, including FPV racing. But don't quote me, LOL.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2JDH wrote: If FPV involves the user having goggles on or does not have direct visual eye contact with the UAV if most certainly is.

ie you can not fly a UAV in FPV. ( except in some limited conditions ie indoors.)
No, you're mis-interpreting the law. It says that I must be ABLE to maintain visual eye contact, not that I have to.
The reason for this is that if the FPV fails, the pilot can bring the aircraft under control.

Nothing changes with FPV. The pilot does not want to lose his aircraft. I can just as easily fly my aircraft out of control and out of range and still see it visually.
On top of this some FPV visors have PIP head mounted camera.

Then consider this situation. I had a small 2 channel park flier RC plane. I was flying it normal RC and thermalling it. It climbed out of range and it flew away out of my control.
It became a free flight plane and it flew several kilometres and I followed it in the car until it glided back down to a lower altitude where I could get control of it and land it.

Now change the scenario. I put FPV on a free flight aircraft which I have no control over.
Is free flight FPV illegal?
If I put FPV on my free flight balloon, is that illegal?

My point is to highlight an in effective and not very policeable law.
What is the law trying to achieve that it doesn't already without FPV?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

There was a near collision between a Cessna float plane and a drone in Canada earlier this month.

2015-08-12

The pilot of a Seair Seaplanes Cessna 208 (C-FJOE) to Vancouver Water, BC (CAM9) reported a black drone with 4 propellers missed the aircraft windshield by about 10 feet when the aircraft was about 40 feet from touching down on the river. The drone was observed turning northbound toward the airport before the pilot lost sight of it. The incident was reported to the Richmond detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

As reported on the Transport Canada Air Safety site.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BG »

After reading all the posts on this topic...the use of an AR Licence is the least of your problems....one link on here shows an " FPV " controlled model aircraft from what it appears on the screen data, blatantly breaking the rules...if you hit another aircraft, person or property with one of these things, the smartest thing you should immediately do, is leave the country to somewhere without an extradition treaty with VK Land.

As a retired commercial pilot, these things scare the crap out of me....and reading that one poster here lost control of his model, and then chased it in his car till he could regain control and land it...are you serious ?

It is pointless arguing about the AR connection.. when/if one has a prang with a member of the public, or another aircraft, it will all be over for the hobby. Vision of one flying over a roundabout was enough to make me sweat...what happens if the donk fails, and it came down and hit a car windscreen, car prangs, people hurt or killed ?

No, I'm not a killjoy....I've had enough near misses in real aircraft to realise the danger.

Sheesh...

VK4BG
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Re:

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2DUX wrote:
VK4UQ wrote:flying drones for "many years" makes you an authority on it all....
Flying a drone has the potential to seriously injure or even kill a person. Persons engaging in such an activity should do so in a safe lawful manner. Is that to hard to grasp?

Did I not just see a pic in paper of a guy who tried to catch one and nearly cut his fingers off.

CASA rules re drones

https://www.casa.gov.au/operations/stan ... rcraft-rpa

read it and if u get it wrong expect big fine or jail time
Tread your own path :om:
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

https://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/news-i ... r-mcg.aspx

Also FWIW the information sheet I linked to in my first post has been amended including the FPV info, I understand as a result of CASA contact:

http://www.rpastraining.com.au/wp-conte ... .15-A4.pdf

http://www.rpastraining.com.au/casr-101 ... or-illegal
Damien VK3RX