QSL Card Discrepancies

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2PR

QSL Card Discrepancies

Post by VK2PR »

A question for the serious QSL card collectors and DXCC chasers.

I send out a QSL card for each new DXCC entity I work. I have 2 cards sitting on my desk from entities which I need for DXCC but there is a problem with each card.
  • Card 1: Sender forgot to write my callsign on the card. I emailed this QSL manager requesting another card and he was apologetic and said he would send another card but I never received one.
  • Card 2: Date of QSO is out by 1 month. I emailed this QSL manager requesting another card but never received a reply.
Would you send out new cards with return postage hoping to receive cards with correct details, or just accept them the way they are? I'm happy to accept card 2 the way it is because it still confirms I worked the station, but card 1 is a problem with no callsign because I can't write it in myself as this will invalidate the card, and without my callsign it doesn't confirm that I worked this station.

What would you do?
VK4WDM

Re: QSL Card Discrepancies

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Peter

With regard to your cards. The first one is obviously going to be rejected by your card checker. The second one is really up to your conscience, but I would accept it because, as you say, it does prove that you did work the station.

You are not alone with this problem! I received a card from quite a rare entity which has all the details correct except the last letter of my call sign. }:[ I contacted the station by email who confirmed that my call sign was correct in the log and promised to send another card. Months past, no card. Another email, no reply, so I decided to send another card plus return postage with a covering note reminding him of the situation. Nil result yet and that was a month ago.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

I'm with Wayne on this too. It is frustrating to receive a wanted card, and the details are incorrect. I check a card many times before sealing it in the envelope and putting it in the post box. In my fairly short experience of several years, I have few errors in cards I have received, apart from a handful that are not in the log at all!

Sometimes chasing QSL cards is just too painful. It's getting more and more expensive for direct cards. I have a pile of international postage stamps going back to $2.20 that I'm not sure what to do with. The 5 cent international stamps are so large, there's not enough room on the envelope to top the old stamps up to the current postage of $2.75!

My strategy is just to be patient and work the wanted country again. Even better to get them on Logbook of the World and not have the bother of card chasing. To date, I have confirmed all entities I have worked, but have a bunch of band fills un-confirmed.

Cards can be slow coming. Even with direct card requests, I have waited for several months or a year for a return.

73 and good luck,
Luke VK3HJ
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Peter agreed with Luke and Wayne seriously i dont sweat the detail any more once i got to 200 confirmed i keep confirming but life is too short i always try and re work a country again. i'm stuck on 248 dxcc only 226 confirmed i had been sweating on turkery sent off for 2 cards different stations nothing earlier this month i worked turkey and the guy uploaded yesterday to Lotw and Eqsl. i have many more example. 10m is the one band i sweat on because the window to work stations there is closing fast 154 confirmed 187 worked. but i have 3 band dxcc confirmed but not in a rush to submit. why? because i know i have it and i'm the only one who cares what I have worked and confirmed :D
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2PR

Post by VK2PR »

Thanks for the replies gents. I'll chase up the card with missing callsign and mark the other one as received.

73!