Free WIN 10 upgrade

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: Free WIN 10 upgrade

Post by VK1JA »

for those that have done the automatic update from 7 to 10 - did the upgrade roll over all your programs/outlook? Or did it basically give you a blank Win 10 install that you had to re-install all your programs?

I'd be interested to see (if it does roll your programs over) if it actually works !
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

I've got several rig interfaces (commercial and home-built) that have "fake" USB-serial chips in them - none of it by my own choice. Changing to "real" chips is not really an option.

For the Prolific PL-2303HX, Prolific released a new driver that would deliberately not work with the fake chip. I recall spending quite a while tracking down the old driver and fudging Win 8 so it wouldn't automatically reload the latest (non working) version.

For the FTDI chip, FTDI released a driver that would deliberately disable the fake chip, permanently. Fortunately, that update could be blocked from loading.

So, I wonder what the story is with Win 10. If I go for the update, am I in for more hassles with this?

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK3RX wrote:
new/updated drivers are available and the makers of software have published their notes for the version.
That will be the main problem , drivers for uncommon stuff like video , USB devices, Bluetooth. Usual fix is to reinstall the w7 driver for that device.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Jayson
VK1JA wrote:for those that have done the automatic update from 7 to 10 - did the upgrade roll over all your programs/outlook? Or did it basically give you a blank Win 10 install that you had to re-install all your programs?
I'd be interested to see (if it does roll your programs over) if it actually works !
Mine went from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home, all previously installed programs just worked as before, items from the desktop & startmenu ran as they did before the process started. I do not have office installed on that PC but others here at work do and had no problems.

Start: fully functioning Win 7 PC with lots of HAM software installed
update accepted
update download
update run
Finish: fully functioning Win 10 PC with lots of HAM software installed

Regards,
Peter
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Dave
VK3HZ wrote:So, I wonder what the story is with Win 10. If I go for the update, am I in for more hassles with this?
Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
If you have the spare cash, there is a version of Windows 10 with the LTSB suffix, this is (Long Term Servicing Branch) and is designed NOT to auto update. I believe this was designed for BIG business that want full control over features and patches to mission critical applications they would run.

its all a journey, plenty of forks in the road (Kermit the frog from a muppet movie I think)

Regards,
Peter
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi Dave
VK3HZ wrote:So, I wonder what the story is with Win 10. If I go for the update, am I in for more hassles with this?
Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
If you have the spare cash, there is a version of Windows 10 with the LTSB suffix, this is (Long Term Servicing Branch) and is designed NOT to auto update. I believe this was designed for BIG business that want full control over features and patches to mission critical applications they would run.

its all a journey, plenty of forks in the road (Kermit the frog from a muppet movie I think)

Regards,
Peter
the commercial version of w10 pro should cost you about $190 - run it from W7 or W8 and it will update run it from boot and it install new OS .
The problem with the auto update is that it can totally screw up the system by updating the wrong drivers ,some of the hardware suppliers have pulled out of the auto update for this reason so if you have unusual drivers then you will need to reinstall them after W10 installs

However if you are running W7 and using the computer for the radio interfacing then there is no need to go to W10 remember that a lot of radio programs are actually written for XP and vista anyway
I am waiting for the delivery of the update of ACE-HF Pro hopefully they have moved this to 64bit and it no longer needs a XP sandbox to run

John

PS
if you are running an illegal copy of W7 or W8 then Microsoft does not care it will update it with no problems and make you legal
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Interesting morning re win10 upgrade

I have here now a couple of brand name tablets which when upgrading from win8.1 fell over and wont go back so it looks like a fresh install is required

not common but it can it seems happen
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

VK3DXE wrote:
I don't think Win 7 Starter will upgrade.
No, Windows Anytime Upgrade won't work anymore.

I'll leave the Netbook as is, and see what I get when I get a new PC for the office. The Netbook with Win 7 Starter runs my DXpedition logger (N1MM Plus) and even an adequate email client (Windows Live Mail, minus some features). I did have intermittent rig CAT control with a dodgy USB-Serial cable, but that seems good now with a replacement cable.

The radio shack PC (i5, Win7 64 bit) will move to the office desk and I'll start a new PC in the radio shack with ONLY radio-related software. I guess I'll have to take Win10 if I buy a new one from a store? Peter has had a happy experience with Win10, others not so. Perhaps I should install Win7 on the new machine, as I am somewhat comfortable and familiar with that version.

Anyway, that's a few months away. I'll sit back and see how others go, Win7>Win10 and various AR software.

Luke VK3HJ
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Luke my Win 7 machine updated to 10 without any issues. I haven't found anything that will not run...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
for those who want some thing small to run Windows on, I let my 'pc on a stick' do its free update last week to Windows 10 and it is perfectly happy to run all the normal stuff I ask of it (mostly ABC's iView streaming to the TV) at home.

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/whole ... -TV-Stick/

Yes this little stick runs Window 10 quite well (came with 8.1) and only needed me to plug in an external USB flash drive to give it some more disk space during the update.

Regards
Peter.
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

The only thing that wouldn't work after my upgrade was the DVD writer.

Win10 installed a floppy drive that doesn't physically exist, so I had to delete that and install Windows Ram drive to get the DVD to work.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi,
for those who want some thing small to run Windows on, I let my 'pc on a stick' do its free update last week to Windows 10 and it is perfectly happy to run all the normal stuff I ask of it (mostly ABC's iView streaming to the TV) at home.

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/whole ... -TV-Stick/

Yes this little stick runs Window 10 quite well (came with 8.1) and only needed me to plug in an external USB flash drive to give it some more disk space during the update.

Regards
Peter.
neat but it seems to be now off the market and no longer available
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

VK2MUS wrote:neat but it seems to be now off the market and no longer available
There is an official INTEL built version now, search for "PC on a stick"
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

Related, but not quite on-topic - has anyone figured out how to stop the annoying "Free upgrade for a limited time" pop-ups?
I am NOT going to upgrade (I get the web via my phone, and W10 would blow my limit for many months to come).
Getting the pop-up every 10 minutes or so....
Thanks
John
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Hi John,

It's just a matter of uninstalling one of the Windows updates, in particular KB3035583.

See here - http://superuser.com/questions/922068/h ... -area-tray
VK7DB

Post by VK7DB »

I upgraded my OS.. Best move I ever made..
Attachments
Screenshot.png
VK5DF
Forum Novice

Post by VK5DF »

Not a problem here!
Works!
Works!
In all seriousness I have upgraded to win 10 on the shack PC and have found the cheep programmer cable with the known to be fake chip doesn't work. This is no surprise.

Things that work as they should on Win7
HRD - The last free version
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! USB (FT-857D audio I/O)
G4ZLP interface - FTDI USB chip (Data for 857/817 etc)
Omni Rig
VKCL
MMSSTV
WSPR
CHIRP

This is all I have had a chance to check out. NOTE: this is running on the 32bit WIn10 as it was on a 32bit win7 Home.
Daniel
VK5DF
PF94HW