VK-ZL 1296 MHz Experiments

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

VK-ZL 1296 MHz Experiments

Post by VK4GHZ »

Hi all

Just wondering if there are any ZLs on the North Island who have 1296 capability, preferably at home, with a decent takeoff towards South East Queensland?
(I'm aware that Stephen ZL1TPH has 1296 capability, but only from a portable setup, which may not be convenient, especially at the drop of a hat as conditions dictate.)

Stephen and Adrian, VK4OX, made a great contact on 2.4 GHz in January 2011 via tropo, so 1296 should also be very do-able.

There are 6 stations in Brisbane, possibly a few more that I am not aware of, that are currently building up dual-XRF286 based 150W 23cm power amplifiers.

We just need some equally keen ZLs on the other side, who are willing to give it a go this 2013/14 Summer tropo season.

This can be an on-going thread to document progress?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Re: VK-ZL 1296 MHz Experiments

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi Adam.
When I ordered the new 70cm Xtal on 432.271 we also placed an order for 1296.271 but I declared I would not build a beacon.
If a 1296 beacon could be supplied I would not hesitate to install it at the Waipuna Ridge beacon site with a beam at VK.

Regards,
Mark
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

I am building an 70w amp and would be keen to do some test from Newcastle

Ben
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

ZL2WHO wrote:Hi Adam.
When I ordered the new 70cm Xtal on 432.271 we also placed an order for 1296.271 but I declared I would not build a beacon.
If a 1296 beacon could be supplied I would not hesitate to install it at the Waipuna Ridge beacon site with a beam at VK.
Hi Mark

Good to hear from you.
I can't speak for others, but I for one would contribute towards the costs of a permanent ZL>VK 1296 beacon.

One consideration: where do you point the yagi?

To S/E QLD, Northern NSW, Sydney, Melbourne?
Maybe a vertical stack of two, offset from one another, to cover a wider azimuth?
One pointed to Brisbane, one to Melbourne/Adelaide, and the overlap covers NSW?

Would the VK2's and 3's reading this contribute as well?

Why are you ordering crystals this day & age?
Is a GPS-locked 10 MHz source already present with the other beacons?
Very easy to utilise an XDK or ZL PLL as a 1296 exciter. The ZL PLL has the benefit of it's own on-board tweakable OCXO as well. :D

The upcoming GippsTech conference (starting in 13 days time) could be a good opportunity to pass around the hat, and send some coin your way, if you are serious about this.

?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4FLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4FLR »

You have Two very keen guys up here in Central Qld & I know the boys in Nth Qld would also be be very keen to work ZL on
1.2ghz !!!
Five of us in Central Qld (all members of the CQARA club), are assembling transverters for 2.4ghz , hope to have some operational this summer !!
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

With 2 metre and 70 cm being worked last summer to ZL, a serious challenge would be good, several of us are building the 23cm amps, capable of 150watts and a couple of us have been lookimg into 2.4ghz amps around 50-75 watts. Next summer appears to be a feast of operaters on 23cm to the Nth and Sth, so east is clear shot from here, could be fun as well. Look forward to further imput.
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

What about using l band radar as a beacon?

Ben
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all.

I just thought that some historical VK4-ZL 1296 MHz perspective could be good to keep in mind.

The first known QSO from VK4, at least that I have been able to determine, was twenty or more years ago during a big trans-Tasman VHF opening when Kevin VK4WA at his home on a hill in the western suburbs of Brisbane was surprised to also be able to work 'across the ditch' on 1296 MHz. Kevin was using an IC-1271 transceiver and this was one of only a few QSOs that he ever had with that radio!

The second known one was by our locally well known Adrian VK4OX (but at that stage he was signing VK2FZ/4) who was thrilled to make a number of contacts from Maleny (Sunshine Coast) across to Brian ZL1AVZ operating from his sea-side second home to the West of Auckland. This QSO from 30 November 1995 is still the current VK4 distance record for the band.

The third known 1296 MHz QSO from this area was by 'yours truly' operating portable from Mt Coot-tha in Brisbane to ZL1AVO on 20 March 2002. This was another trans-Tasman opening that had been around strongly for a day or so and I left work early to have time to go home, gather some gear, and head for Mt Coot-tha, getting there not long before sunset. Signals were rock solid on 144 and 432 MHz and it was only a matter of time before ZL1AVO and I completed our QSO with signals not strong - headphones being the order of the day. We each were running only about ten watts transmitter power.

I still have the distinctive BOM MSL map and Hepburn propagation chart for the time of this QSO, plus a day or two before and after.

I have not heard of other 1296 MHz VK4-ZL QSOs since that time but it is possible that it has taken place during one of my absences from the country over the years.

Briefly in relation to 2.4 GHz, as Adam has observed, there have been the spectacular 2.4 GHz QSOs between VK4OX and ZL1TPH/1 and ZL1AVZ that are in the record books. But it should not be forgotten that John VK4JMC West of Brisbane also completed a trans-Tasman contact on the band close to the same time as Adrian, only that the distance to Adrian was longer! The date was 27 January 2011. [Most frustratingly, at the time of these QSOs, I was immobilised and in bed following an injury sustained in the mud of the Brisbane flood only a few days before these contacts took place....]

This is all exciting stuff - that it keeps one's interest alive is an understatement! It's great to observe others also whetting their appetites for being ready for the next great opening(s)!!!!!

Very best wishes,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi Guys.

Been having a read of the forums and thought id bring up this subject.
As we already have 1296.271 running jt4d ( most of the time :) ) its not all that difficult to add VK leg to the system. A ZL2BKC ZLPLL feeds a 18w 1296 power module at the ant so its a matter of splitting the drive and feeding another dedicated power module and new antenna at VK.

Looking back to Adams post below ( above ?) he mentions where do we point the antenna.. One option is to use the same panel antenna that's used currently to cover ZL, but is this enough gain at approx 12dbd in the VK direction? Don't have a problem stacking 2 of these for the VK leg.
Alternatively I have a 3m dish here that i would bung on a trailer and mount up at Waipuna but i guess the narrow beam width would limit coverage to the sides. (M/S on 1296 anyone ? )

A VK leg has often been discussed between myself and Wayne ZL2BKC and we both see it as a useful marker, so its a matter of when - not if...

Thoughts and suggestions from both sides of the ditch please.... lets start the ball rolling..... :idea: :idea: :idea: :think: :think: :think:

Mark
2WHO
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Mark

To some it may seem biased, but based on data that is easily obtained through a quick review of the VKLogger history files, it very clearly shows the current level of 23cm activity in VK is concentrated in South East VK4.

Add to this, the number of stations in this part of the country who are currently making significant improvements in their stations capability, it wont be the easiest path to VK but it would make a wise choice to have the antenna optimised for a QTF of approx 310. :thumbup:

Bearded flame suit on :om3:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

Having just looked up a list that I made a few years ago of stations that I have worked on 23cm on the VK-ZL path from my previous or current QTH within the QF68 grid square, here are some of the unique call signs worked. (Some many times over - over the years).
My first SSB contact was with ZL1AVZ 17-1-1993 in RF73, ZL1IU in RF64 on SSB, ZL1TPH in RF73, RF65 and RF63 on SSB, also RF73 and RF65 on digital and the remainder on SSB - ZL2TAL in RF70, ZL1AVO in RF73, ZL1BK in RF73, ZL1AOX in RF72 and ZL3TY in RE57 (South Island). <This is NOT a current or complete list of ZL contacts or station I have worked on the 23cm VK-ZL path>.

(Also RG30 - Norfolk Island on 23cm)

I am not aware that I have ever heard a ZL 23cm beacon, but look forward to trying should it become operational towards VK.

Last DX season 2014-2015 spring/summer will be remembered as being the worst ever experienced from my QTH across the pond. Let's hope the coming season improves for 2m, 70cm, 23cm and above - I will be looking, as circumstances permit.

Good DX to all and especially for the increased VK4 activity guys.
Ross, VK2DVZ
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

Hi Guys,
Just to let you know that there are currently a number of 23cm stations on the air down in ZL3-4.
Zl4IV 200+w and good ant at about 300' ASL
ZL4OL getting 150w amp on the air and has 45 element loop
ZL3NW, Ive got an amp for him something around 150W also a loop beam way up high.
And myself
ZL3RC currently building up 4 x 55 element loop beams and have 4 x XRF286 amps going just need to box them up. Mainly looking at EME long term but would love to work 23cm across the pond.

All we need over this side of the island is a good big E's cloud over the Tasman and we maybe in business, any sort of ducting propagation isn't going to work with the Southern Alps in the way :cry:

Looking forward to a better session than the one just passed if Im not wrong we only had one very short opening where Geoff ZL3PX worked a VK2 on 2m.

Still haven't heard your 23cm beacon Mark but listen a lot, one day.

Cheers

Roger ZL3RC
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Stations worked on 1296 and in no particular order
VK2ZAB, VK2KU/VK2TK, VK2FZ/2, VK2DVZ, VK2AMS, VK2ZT and VK9NA.