New LCD detail shows 50-54MHz for Advanced Licence

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

New LCD detail shows 50-54MHz for Advanced Licence

Post by VK4ADC »

It looks like it has finally happened... the whole 4 MHz on 6M - seemingly without the previous geographic limitations to the east coast of VK.

The details are in the new LCD at https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015L01113 in Schedule 1, Item 3.

There are some other changes in it too so download your copy as you will need to review it.

73 Doug
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Re: New LCD detail shows 50-54MHz for Advanced Licence

Post by VK3MEG »

a pity they forgot about the standards i might not worry about 6m now
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

I would be happier if we just had 50 _ 50.5 and let the standards down there too. The current situation is stupid and we don't need all that bandwidth anyway, just to clutter it up with barely used repeaters.
David
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Does this mean that the carefully crafted and sensible proposal from the WIA has been largely ignored or is this an interim LCD under a major review is done?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK3MEG wrote:a pity they forgot about the standards i might not worry about 6m now
Upgrade to advanced.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

""VK2TS

Upgrade to advanced.

Cheers""

Kinda simplistic Tony considering the 100 watt guys do have the skills , lets get them the full 50 mhz and populate ?
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

""VK2TS

Upgrade to advanced.

Cheers""

Kinda simplistic Tony considering the 100 watt guys do have the skills , lets get them the full 50 mhz and populate ?
as Barry said kind simplistic i'm studying for the upgrade if i get it well and good but its not me where the concern is coming from but the other standards there are not enough people on 6m its better to get more . in the US even the tech's get the full 6m. The govt dont care about us they only look out for their telco cash cow mates.
Thanks to the great group on here i worked lots of 6m last summer every state execpt for vk1 and ja and zl and heard fk8 and e6 (ops not beacons)
i think its a silly legacy thing the separating the band.
btw thaks to all the guys who came up to 52 to work me :D
cheers
cheers
QF22GG
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately most 6m yagis/verticals wont tune up to 52MHz unless they are low Q and a auto tuner only makes the radio happy. The US tech licence was rather like our old limited licence which was the advanced theory less the CW. I did my advanced about 30 years ago along with the CW so it should be easier these days with the resources available ie: the internet and no CW test being required. Along with 50-52MHz you also pick up 160Metres and the lower MF bands along with more power although antenna gain and efficiency are much more important. You like 6Metres do something about it and join us mate :)

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

see tony i make the effort i work split for quite a few i make my station work well on 6m i work plenty of guys in vk4 on verticals and on fm. i'll get the full call btw re cw i play with cw worked about 110 countries cw in the last 6 months or so now working on improving my copying skills and sending skills so people can decode my key sent signals. by the time i get my full call 6m will be shut any way D:
cheers
QF22GG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

VK3AUU wrote:
I would be happier if we just had 50 _ 50.5
David, that might be OK in the southern parts of VK but up here in the TEP zone it would be hopelessly crowded when we have regular (not just every 11 years) big openings into Asia when the lower end of 6m makes 20m during the WW CQ Contest look like a grave yard. These TEP openings sometimes occur when there is good sporadic E or troppo to the south as well so we really do need space to spread out more.

Just to show I am not exaggerating, on 3 May I worked 105 Ja's (all except 2 were 59+) 3 HL's and 1 BA of a single CQ call on 50.135 which was the only frequency I could find that was free because there were stations to the south of me working the Asians too . VK2 and VK5 were reporting propagation into VK4 but we could not hear them through the Asian clutter.To make matters even more interesting there were some indicators suggesting there was a path to the middle east as well. This situation is not isolated, it occurred many times between last September and mid June this year.

Although strong European openings only occur during sun spot cycle peaks they can be chaotic too - how many 1K output (at least) Italian stations are going to fit into half a MHz when they are S9++ and as wide a the proverbial barn door? (Not all of them are that wide).

Maybe we don't need 50-54, but why give it up? It is widely used in some countries as a mobile band, we need space for the experimental stuff like chirp Radar and the like and there may be future uses for 6m that we have not thought about yet.

Having the STD licensees on 52MHZ is just a PIA. My rig just shuts down if I try to use my 50MHZ yagi up there and I have to move to a much less efficient vertical. I do my best to work you guys but the strike rate is low.

To Steve VK3MEG. It is a mistake to think 6m "shuts" when the SS drops. True, the long-haul F2 propagation goes but sporadic E continues as does TEP. There is plenty of VK-ZL action to be had, and well-equipped stations and skilful, mostly CW, ops will still work DX via multi-hop Es and this should increase with the increasing use of digital modes on 6m. :D

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
Last edited by VK4WDM on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

And of course from 6 July 2015 400W for all of VK on 6m............
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

400W for all of VK
More QRM from those pesky VK3's :thumbdown: Now we won't be able to ignore them!

Wayne VK4WDM :J
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK3IH wrote:And of course from 6 July 2015 400W for all of VK on 6m............
I believe the 400watt limit has been useable since the WIA clarified this with the ACMA following closure of the last Channel 0 TV station some time ago.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

That is correct, Tony.

Thank you. :clap:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I was just trying to get a rise out of the VK3's but none of them took the bait :D

Roger, does this mean the the WIA's wonderful submission was almost completely ignored or is this new LCD a work in progress?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Wayne,

Neither. This "new" LCD is the LCD we have so that the old LCD can sunset on 1 October 2015 and amateur radio in Australia can continue uninterrupted. :D

Go to the WIA website Hot Issues page and read all the news we've been sending out since 1st September last year, under "Remake of the Amateur Service LCD". There's some homework for you. :shock: Remember that all licensed amateurs have an obligation to be familiar with the current LCD.

In the meantime, the WIA will press the case for freedom - er, improved licence conditions - as set out in the submission of 1st July 2014, which you can download for your edification here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... 20Sent.pdf

You may recall that the guvmint has commenced two converging reforms (by order) - the Spectrum Review (to result in a new Radcomm Act) and the ACMA review (to result in a new regulator). In the aftermath of all that, the WIA will charge through on an enormous white steed to negotiate new licence conditions under what will probably be a parameters-based licence for radio amateurs. :shock: [More homework here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php].
:popcorn:
There endeth the lesson for today. :clap:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"the WIA will charge through on an enormous white steed "

Are you going to do a Lady Godiva act Roger? Is Luke VK3HJ going to provide the steed? (Maybe he could join you on the horse!) :shock:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4WDM wrote:"the WIA will charge through on an enormous white steed "

Are you going to do a Lady Godiva act Roger? Is Luke VK3HJ going to provide the steed? (Maybe he could join you on the horse!) :shock:

Wayne VK4WDM

Keep up the good work Roger, but PLEASE keep your clothes on :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK3DXE wrote:[...but PLEASE keep your clothes on :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or grow a very long beard.

i.e. :om:

Ta.

Barry
VK3BJM