RD and ILLW conflict

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: RD and ILLW conflict

Post by VK3ALB »

Yes I agree, busy is good. I think there might be too many contests only if you try and participate in all of them. I'm sure everyone has their favorites. It's a good thing to have the choice of so many activities. We just need to play nice.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Only ones I noticed complaining during the RD Contest were the ILLW guys. Maybe they need to relax more :) I did a ILLW a few years ago and we particpated in both the ILLW and the RD, no Dramas. its easy if you have the right attitude.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

You can read about the Lighthouse Weekend here .. http://www.illw.net/

It started in the UK in 1998 and was based on the Scottish Lighthouse program from 1993. The dates for 2015 and 2016 are detailed.

Regards
Bernard
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Well that explains a lot if its based on Scottish roots...

Scots would argue over anything...and with a son called Cameron and being able to trace my roots back to the Lochiel there are a few that would agree with that statement :lol:
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3VKT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3VKT »

Lou what edition of AR and what page is the letter????????????????????????????????????????????
Andy Kay VK3VKT can be found lurking on VK3RBW 438.450 91.5 tone
Club net 8pm Wednesday nights on the above repeater open to all
MERC Webpage | MERC Facebook Group | My QSL Card site
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

It's in September 2014 on page 39
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4TS wrote:Well that explains a lot if its based on Scottish roots...

Scots would argue over anything...and with a son called Cameron and being able to trace my roots back to the Lochiel there are a few that would agree with that statement :lol:
Many Scotts wouldn't however , but were the tall ones and your mostly Irish :P
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Another year gone by and I was pleased to see the editorial by VK3PF in the treeless edition of AR (august 2015). A very simple solution is to answer any call you may get and give them what they want when it comes to the signal report.

The Geelong Amateur Radio Club will be operating from the Point Lonsdale lighthouse and will be more than happy to work whoever calls. We know how long our most senior operator has been licensed, we know our lighthouse number and we can read an S meter. If we can hear you, we'll work you and give you the report you need.

We will have members of the public coming through to see what we do so I think it's better they see AR as a group of people having fun rather than a group of grumpy old men (and women) squabbling over what to say to each other on the radio.

No conflict here.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

Well said Lou, However having first hand experience of the clashes(Cape Schanck) Been going since 2006 and every time the clashes occur no point in trying to Run a lighthouse activation. You cannot get a spot anywhere. RD fires and the band gets flooded. Tried to workin with the the Contest. W.O.T. Waste of time. Not going this year. Lighthouse is international . RD is local.From first hand at the Cape when they clash not bloody worth it. That's my 10 cents worth.
Damian VK3KQ
0439 399215
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Really ? Light house is International ?
Then why are you all using dipoles on 80M to work international lighthouses ?

Why are you using IARU contest bands when there are bands that are designated non contest bands ?

Why are you not running 30 17 15 12 and 10 where very few RD contestors would ever be heard and the chances of international contacts with the International activity are much higher ?

This year is the 17th Light House activity weekend - aligned with the RD weekend - It could have easilly been moved as the RD had been on the weekend for over 50 years.

Light house World wide has 544 Activations according to the website - the RD is mainly 160 80 40 -

It is pretty simple, concentrate on 30 20 17 15 12 10 and there won't be many clashes with the RD contest operators and you can just play with yourselves; unless you secretly crave the contacts with the RD competitors to make your non scoring Lighthouse truly worthwhile.

SIMPLES
Trent VK4TS
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK4TS wrote:Really ? Light house is International ?
Then why are you all using dipoles on 80M to work international lighthouses ?

Why are you using IARU contest bands when there are bands that are designated non contest bands ?

Why are you not running 30 17 15 12 and 10 where very few RD contestors would ever be heard and the chances of international contacts with the International activity are much higher ?

This year is the 17th Light House activity weekend - aligned with the RD weekend - It could have easilly been moved as the RD had been on the weekend for over 50 years.

Light house World wide has 544 Activations according to the website - the RD is mainly 160 80 40 -

It is pretty simple, concentrate on 30 20 17 15 12 10 and there won't be many clashes with the RD contest operators and you can just play with yourselves; unless you secretly crave the contacts with the RD competitors to make your non scoring Lighthouse truly worthwhile.

SIMPLES
An excellent point Trent. Its about time the ILLW was changed, the RD was first after all.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Not sure who you were responding to Trent but here's what I think.

We're doing this as a club activity to have some fun. This weekend gives our newbies a chance to learn how to operate on a busy bands and how to prepare a simple field station. I presume you were new once and had to learn or be taught so I'm sure you'll understand our motivation.

No 80m for us but be sure to listen for us on 40m. It's unlikely we'll make any international contacts but we're ok with that because we think we'll have an opportunity to speak to plenty of VK's. I wasn't aware that we weren't allowed to used an IARU contest bands to talk to fellow hams. We're using 40m because it best suits our aims for the weekend.

Operating from the carpark of our lighthouse we always take the opportunity to speak to tourists who come past our tent and explain the intent of ILLW and what we in particular are doing. It's good to chat with members of the public and give them a glimpse of what AR is about. Some of them are brave enough to get on the microphone and say hello. To see them walk away with a big smile on their face is priceless and worth the effort of setting up.

We are more than happy to give RD operators whatever they need for their logs. We are more than happy to give ILLW operators whatever they need for their logs. We have no doubt we will hear people saying, "I'm not in the contest, just helping out with numbers". We're happy to chat to them too and thank them for the contact.

VK2TS, you seem to have changed your mind in the last year. Earlier on this page you gave the excellent advice that all we needed was the correct attitude. I think we have the right attitude and will continue to play radio in the spirit of friendship and cooperation.

We're hoping for good weather.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK3ALB wrote:Not sure who you were responding to Trent but here's what I think.

VK2TS, you seem to have changed your mind in the last year. Earlier on this page you gave the excellent advice that all we needed was the correct attitude. I think we have the right attitude and will continue to play radio in the spirit of friendship and cooperation.

We're hoping for good weather.
It seems to me that the ILLW guys are the ones getting all hot and bothered, I really dont care too much but it seems dumb to complain that the RD is interfering/spoiling their fun. The best way to fix this once and for all is to move the ILLW weekend to another weekend as the RD has been around for a lot longer. Surely VK and ZL operators interfere much further then most think. Maybe the WIA as the custodian of the RD contest should approach the ILLW mob to discuss the issue and seek them to change?
Tony
VK2TS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2TS wrote: It seems to me that the ILLW guys are the ones getting all hot and bothered, I really dont care too much but it seems dumb to complain that the RD is interfering/spoiling their fun. The best way to fix this once and for all is to move the ILLW weekend to another weekend as the RD has been around for a lot longer. Surely VK and ZL operators interfere much further then most think. Maybe the WIA as the custodian of the RD contest should approach the ILLW mob to discuss the issue and seek them to change?
Hopefully no one gets hot and bothered about making contacts and exchanging simple reports. It seems to me that having a band full of stations to work is exactly what all of us want. Looking forward to a busy weekend.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK2TS wrote:It seems to me that the ILLW guys are the ones getting all hot and bothered, I really dont care too much but it seems dumb to complain that the RD is interfering/spoiling their fun. The best way to fix this once and for all is to move the ILLW weekend to another weekend as the RD has been around for a lot longer. Surely VK and ZL operators interfere much further then most think. Maybe the WIA as the custodian of the RD contest should approach the ILLW mob to discuss the issue and seek them to change?
There is a small problem; the ILLW is held on the 3rd full weekend in August while the RD contest is held on the weekend closet to 15th August which varies from year to year. Coming to a compromise would probably be a lot simpler if the RD contest was held on the same weekend each year (e.g. 2nd full weekend in August).
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

If the Lighthouse weekend was truly an event like you would have us believe and that is one to contact other Lighthouses and those interested in the same why would you not conduct it on the first weekend of August to co-incide with the "other ILLW" weekend...

Obviously you are not aware of http://arlhs.com/

PURPOSES:
To promote public awareness of ham radio and lighthouses; to contribute to the recognition that lighthouses, lightships, and their keepers deserve; to foster camaraderie within the ham fraternity;
and to provide fellowship amongst the members of the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society
Trent VK4TS
GM3SEK

Post by GM3SEK »

VK3AMB wrote:You can read about the Lighthouse Weekend here .. http://www.illw.net/

It started in the UK in 1998 and was based on the Scottish Lighthouse program from 1993. The dates for 2015 and 2016 are detailed.

Regards
Bernard
ILLW now involves over 85 countries on the air... but it isn't just about amateur radio any more. The international Association of Lighthouse Keepers have now joined in to promote their own non-radio activities on that same weekend, so the third full weekend in August has now become the International Lighthouse Heritage Weekend.

Our own club can't get to our favourite lighthouse for ILLW because the site is now packed out with other ILHW activities!

Please don't blame VK2CE and VK3PT for any of this, because ILLW has very little central organisation and they have absolutely no authority to give orders. ILLW is simply an agreed weekend when individual stations turn out and do their own thing. If anyone wanted to change the weekend, they'd need to turn the entire herd of lighthouse/lightship activators... and that just isn't possible.

Sorry, folks. I mean no disrespect to the RD contest but you need to understand how things are.

73 from Ian GM3SEK
(no direct connection with ILLW)
Last edited by GM3SEK on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

There will be no clash for the next three years.......
Trent VK4TS
VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

We use 80, 40, 20, 15, 12, & 10. 80 mts was an example of what happens. And believe it or NOT multiple antennas. Not worth all the hot air being blown around. I am going back to microwave. No clashes up there. Just smooth operators. :om2: :beer:
Damian VK3KQ
0439 399215
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Some are complaining that the bands are extra busy on a single weekend :roll: It's a hell of a lot more fun than a weekend where there is hardly any activity, especially when you are trying to promote AR to the public.

Call the station, ask what they need for an exchange, complete the QSO and log it in the appropriate log. Is that too hard, or am I missing something?

Wayne VK4WDM