Dumb EME question #1

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Re: Dumb EME question #1

Post by VK3IH »

Thanks for the encouragement Dave!

Some other views attached, if you move down the hill from the shack the moon view opens up a fair bit, this could be a good location.

The front paddock is better but is less socially acceptable from our house and the neighbours.... still you get moonrise and set with no obstructions....

Paul
Attachments
Further back from the shack area
Further back from the shack area
Front paddock - note neighbours place
Front paddock - note neighbours place
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Yes, thats the spot , that second photo is good.
Is the house more than 70 metres or so from the location? If it is then a high power permit should be easy.
Those trees in the distance to the north west can be pruned as required.
start digging and mixing concrete :)

73 Dave
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

Okay more knowledge I didn't have... For a high power permit (which may be a while away as more than 400W on 1296 is a bit hard to come by) you need 70m clearance to a neighbours house or their land (the fenceline) ???

As you can see the front paddock position is marginally 70m away from the corner of the house but not the boundary?

Paul
Attachments
70m front paddock.JPG
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

By high power, i dont mean over 400 watts, rather a more modest increase to allow the use of a couple of w6pql modules combined.
my permit states
A transmitter power of 300 watts using CW, JT65 and FSK441 - for the purpose of reflecting singals from a celesial body.
Although over the ditch in ZL they can run a kilowatt, we cant, and our maximum power on JT65 is a bit over 100 watts.
If that nearby house is not your place then you could have a problem, best to address that with the ACMA. They were very helpfull in my case.
My nearest neighbour is a kilometre away in the direction of moonset, and only there occasionally during holiday times.
73 Dave
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Paul,
VK3IH wrote:Okay more knowledge I didn't have... For a high power permit (which may be a while away as more than 400W on 1296 is a bit hard to come by) you need 70m clearance to a neighbours house or their land (the fenceline) ???
As you can see the front paddock position is marginally 70m away from the corner of the house but not the boundary?
Paul
Welcome to the fine art of compromises :D before you make any assumptions about the distances required for a high power permit you should (a must in my humble opinion) firstly download a copy of the VK3UM EMR calculator (http://www.vk3bez.org) and run some of your proposed setups through that emulator / calculator package to see the realities of EMR. You may be surprised with the outcomes as a few metres of elevation can decrease exclusion zone sizes drastically.

I do have a 1KW permit for 50 / 144 / 432 and 1296 for EME use at my home but I do not have the distance you mentioned to the boundary fence. As part of the approval process the ACMA will ask you to submit a Google Earth ".KMZ" file that details distances to each of the residences around the proposed location, this information MUST also include the relative height compared to your proposed antennas.

Good luck with your project, my efforts to get my 3.7 metre dish going seem to have stalled.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

In the spirit of 'get a dish up and have a listen' , tonight Graham VK3XDK and his 1.7metre dish received the Stanford uni club station W6YX, Phil vk4cdi and myself via the moon.
if you have a dish laying about or can get one then have a go.
concrete a pole in with a few bags of quickset and rocks etc, that will get you started. Work on the improvements to the station day by day, bit by bit.
if you find in the future that the selected position isnt optimal, then just buy or scrounge another pole and concrete it in.
73 Dave
Last edited by VK2JDS on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

on 1296? What sort of feed did he use to RX? what receiver did he use?

I have a telegraph pole in (not ideal if the Cypress tree behind it decides to fall on it but still...)

need to make a mount next.....