Aviation equipment information required

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4WDM

Aviation equipment information required

Post by VK4WDM »

Does anyone know anything about the following equipment or where I could get some information.

VHF and UHF aviation transceivers Made by Admiral Corporation Chicago. Models 5128/CP-ARC-51 and 5128/CM-ARC-51.

A hand book and/or circuit diagram would be nice. I have done a net search but may have missed something.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Aviation equipment information required

Post by VK3RX »

The Airways Museum http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/ has a library of operating manuals etc. so you might email an enquiry to them.

Myself and a few other people are trying to get the same sort of info for a VHF AM receiver model R40 Ident. Y5/4015 without success right now.

I spent a couple of hours at the Airways Museum recently looking at their database and library and couldn't find anything for the R40 receiver. They didn't seem to have any info for equipment after the late 1970's.
Damien VK3RX
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Damien

Thank you for the suggestion. I look after the radio and communications section at the Townsville Military Aviation Museum (also known as the RAAF museum) and tracking down details on aviation comms stuff can be difficult. Often the final assembly was contracted out to a number of small companies that either no longer exist or have changed their name.

If you can give me some more details about your gear I will have a look at the info we have here. Does it have any company name marked on it? What time period is it from? Is it ground or aircraft equipment? Is the probable aircraft type known?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

G'day Wayne

It's ex Airservices (well, one of their predecessors) ground equipment, and used at their comms sites & airports around the country for single frequency operation (ATC, Flightwatch etc.).

Its branded Transport Australia and labelled:

T.B.C. Pty. Ltd.
VHF AM Receiver
Type R40
Ident Y5/4015

I put a post on VK Classifieds recently seeking a manual and received a number of responses, all from people with the same unit also after a manual or at least frequency setting information (the unit has 14 dip switches). One was from the S.A. Aviation Museum wanting to get one going on their local frequency (I'm still trying all options, Barry :thumbup: ).

I suspect there are a few around, but unfortunately the manuals (each site would have had a copy) may have been chucked when they were decommissioned and replaced with a later type.
Attachments
109494_1.jpg
Damien VK3RX
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

Damien,

I work at Airservices so I will ask around tomorrow if anyone still has a manual for an R40.

Regards Geoff VK4KJJ
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

That is very much appreciated by a bunch of us, Geoff :D

I'm told that they were either repaired at the sites they were at or at "the depot", so manuals were held at those locations.

A full manual would be the bee's knees, but even just the programming info for the dip switches would suffice.
Damien VK3RX
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

I know it's a long shot but ...

http://www.arfc.com.au/index.html

GORDEN SMITH, Company Director used to work at a company called TBC Pty Ltd

Maybe email him to see if he knows anything or even if it's was the same company.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Gents - an update.

The info myself and some other owners have been seeking on the R40 receiver has now been obtained, thanks to the generosity of someone digging it up.
Damien VK3RX
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Damien

Good news! Unfortunately I have had no luck in finding info on VHF and UHF aviation transceivers Made by Admiral Corporation Chicago. Models 5128/CP-ARC-51 and 5128/CM-ARC-51 so my search continues.

Wayne VK4WDM