New LIPID band 40.66 - 41MHz

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4WDM

New LIPID band 40.66 - 41MHz

Post by VK4WDM »

I see on another thread that there is a new LIPID band 40.66-41MHZ with 1w EIRP. Could this be used for a low power CW transceiver?

I am setting up a system at the Townsville RAAF Museum so visiting children can send Morse code to each other. My plan is to have two audio oscillators linked by wire, but we have portable military transceivers that cover that new LIPID band. Could I use them with the power wound back to the LIPID limit?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: New LIPID band 40.66 - 41MHz

Post by VK5ZD »

VK4WDM wrote:I see on another thread that there is a new LIPID band 40.66-41MHZ with 1w EIRP. Could this be used for a low power CW transceiver?

I am setting up a system at the Townsville RAAF Museum so visiting children can send Morse code to each other. My plan is to have two audio oscillators linked by wire, but we have portable military transceivers that cover that new LIPID band. Could I use them with the power wound back to the LIPID limit?
I don't think this band is particularly new; the class licence was last amended just over a year ago (14th July 2014) and I don't know what changes were made at that time. That aside, the class licence doesn't require the equipment to comply with any particular standards (except for cordless and mobile telephone devices) so, provided you comply with the EIRP limits, you should be OK.

Note: This is my personal opinion. I have no legal training. :D
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Re: New LIPID band 40.66 - 41MHz

Post by VK3YE »

LIPDs and the LIPD class licence have been around for years. If you can I'd suggest avoiding exactly 40.66 - as it seems to be quite a noisy frequency in suburban locations. But a bit above it should be OK. I'm not sure if your military rigs are synthesised, VFO or crystal controlled, but another good LIPD area is just under 37 MHz. This seems to be much quieter. While it has a 100mW power limit, rather than 1w of 40.66 MHz, that power should still be sufficient.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm