Beacon Wish-List

Amateur beacons
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Beacon Wish-List

Post by VK3PY »

Since the recent upgrading of many beacons to GPS-locked frequency, my thoughts have turned to where I would like to see more 2m beacons located. Of course, much depends on the presence of somebody willing to take up a beacon project, the availability of a suitable site and electrical power availability. Still, there might be someone out there who could make this happen.

Equipment is not a problem. There are plenty of virtually "turn-key", GPS-lockable transmitters available for this purpose (contact me by email vk3py@bigpond.com if you're interested in taking up such a project). These are the same as the new VK3RGL & VK3RRU transmitters, capable of being GPS-locked, rated at up to 100W output. The ident/controller for VK3RGL is an Arduino-based unit produced by Bert VK3TU who would be happy to make the code available.

So, here's my wish-list of locations, in no particular order of preference:

1. Port Lincoln, SA
2. Bathurst, NSW (Mt. Panorama?)
3. Mt. Hope Central NSW.
4. Anywhere else where somebody is prepared to install a beacon

Thoughts?

Chas
VK3Y
VK2XSO

Re: Beacon Wish-List

Post by VK2XSO »

Don't know about mount hope, but if you have a beacon ready to go, I have a site at Nymagee that I can probably set it up at.
Bourke is also a possibility.
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Trash - I have replied to your private email address. Check your email.

Chas
VK3PY
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

What about woomera?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

VK3PY wrote:So, here's my wish-list of locations, in no particular order of preference:

1. Port Lincoln, SA
2. Bathurst, NSW (Mt. Panorama?)
3. Mt. Hope Central NSW.
4. Anywhere else where somebody is prepared to install a beacon

Thoughts?

Chas
VK3Y
I think Pt Lincoln, SA is a good idea but as there are 2m & 70cm repeaters that are nearly always workable from my home QTH (250kms away) maybe somewhere like Ceduna would be a better option as an indicator of conditions to the west. Of course reliable beacons at both Esperance & Albany would be great, I know they are being worked on but it been some years since we have reliable beacons from either of those places.

73's Brian
VK5BC
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Brian, I take your point about the repeaters. However, what about operators elsewhere in VK at far greater distances? Ceduna would be great, for sure. Anybody there who might install and maintain a beacon?

VK5TX: Woomera? Great idea. Same question about installing and maintaining a beacon. We can provide a TX for sure.

This is not an either/or matter. See Option 4 in my initial posting. We have sufficient TX's to accommodate everyone who is serious about installing a 2m beacon. So Port Lincoln, Ceduna and Woomera can all have a beacon. And others too......contact me privately at vk3py@bigpond.com for details about getting one of these TX's if you're serious about setting up a 2m beacon.

Chas
VK3PY