Icom IC-718 receive problem

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK5KPR

Icom IC-718 receive problem

Post by VK5KPR »

Does anyone had any experience with a IC 718 with recieve problems, the recieved signal is weak, then hitting the PTT button comes up around 3 t0 4db increase in signal.
Looking around the I-Net have not found any other hams having problems.

VK5KKPR
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: IC718

Post by VK6ADF »

VK5KPR wrote:Does anyone had any experience with a IC 718 with recieve problems, the recieved signal is weak, then hitting the PTT button comes up around 3 t0 4db increase in signal.

VK5KKPR
No experience with an IC718 but my initial thought was perhaps in the changeover relay. Bad or dirty contacts perhaps unless it has solid state changeover.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum, and good luck with the 718.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK6ADF wrote:
VK5KPR wrote:Does anyone had any experience with a IC 718 with recieve problems, the recieved signal is weak, then hitting the PTT button comes up around 3 t0 4db increase in signal.

VK5KKPR
No experience with an IC718 but my initial thought was perhaps in the changeover relay. Bad or dirty contacts perhaps unless it has solid state changeover.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum, and good luck with the 718.
That would be my first thought too. I have a TS-2000 here that displays similar symptoms on 2m only, and have found a couple of others that had the same, fixed with a new T/R relay for the 2m section.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

It is sure to be caused by a dirty relay contact.

David
VK5KPR

Post by VK5KPR »

VK5KKPR
Does anyone have a suugestion of the best place to buy a replacement relay, e-mailed a supplier and reply was not informative as to when I could get a part.

They probably want me to send the radio to them for repair.

I would but at $100 per hour would not be worth it.

Do ICOM deal direct.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Re: Icom IC-718 receive problem

Post by VK2HRX »

Icom refused to deal direct with me for parts for one repair but did with another request. I was able to deal direct with Icom in the US for the repair that Icom in Melbourne refused to assist on. So with a bit of perserverence you should be able to get what you need from Icom somewhere.....
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK2HRX wrote:Icom refused to deal direct with me for parts for one repair
Why did they refuse?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Theo
VK5IR
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Becasue the radio didnt have an identifable S/N as it had rubbed off the S/N lable. I sent them a phopo of the label but they refused to support a radio that didnt have a S/N. Stupid in my mind as it was still clearly an Icom radio. One of the reasons I never upgraded to the IC 9100.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

I suggest you locate the relay and if possible open it , run some dry paper like butchers through the relay several times and see if it helps ?
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2HRX wrote:Becasue the radio didnt have an identifable S/N as it had rubbed off the S/N lable. I sent them a phopo of the label but they refused to support a radio that didnt have a S/N. Stupid in my mind as it was still clearly an Icom radio. One of the reasons I never upgraded to the IC 9100.
They have to assume it's stolen. I think they did the right thing.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3DXE wrote:They have to assume it's stolen. I think they did the right thing.
Using that logic, if you go to the spare parts department of you local Holden dealer to buy, say, a replacement alternator, they should refuse to sell you one unless you can prove you are the legal owner of a Holden and provide evidence of the chassis number? I don't think so... :crazy:
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Look at the PIN diodes around the bandpass filter section, mine suffered a few times from strong adacent signals,, result = deaf on receive. Grant at RF Repairs fitted bigger diodes, no probems since.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK3DXE wrote:
They have to assume it's stolen. I think they did the right thing.
It was Icoms label, not mine. If Icom cant provide a label that is suitable for purpose what is the point of aggravating their customer?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4FP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4FP »

I've bought several parts for my Icoms over the years...Always asked for the serial number...No support non Australian Models ..IE: No support for grey imports ..Need verification via the serial number.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

When my first IC7100 died after an hours use Icom wanted me to jump through hoops and facilitate them cheating on the warranty , with no legal basis for them to try that the dealer did the right thing and the 2nd radio was fine , in this case I would think refusing to sell parts on that basis is illegal and counter productive because the soft paper nerial tag is so easily damaged . Personally I wont buy another new due to the lack of genuine support from the importer .
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

The trick with running paper through the contacts on the relay(s) likely won't work, as they are tiny little sealed things.
Is the problem worst on only one band?
If so, it's likely the relays on the PA filter board, if it's like my old '706 original. Replaced most of the relays in by now, I would think :-)
Note that there are likely 2 relays per filter bank. Likely only one relay is U/S, but you had better buy 2 just in case.
In fact, buy half a dozen, as, once they start to go, you'll find yourself inside the rig fairly often.
The tiny relays in my '706 are a fairly common sort of Panasonic (NAIS?) thingo, readily available from Digikey and others in the US.
I couldn't be bothered ordering direct, with the usual hassles with FedEx etc., so VK5EME bundled them with one of his (frequent) orders for a very modest add-on.
Cheers
John VK4TJ
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Becasue the radio didnt have an identifable S/N as it had rubbed off the S/N lable. I sent them a phopo of the label but they refused to support a radio that didnt have a S/N. Stupid in my mind as it was still clearly an Icom radio. One of the reasons I never upgraded to the IC 9100.
Have you checked the carton?
The serial number is usually on a label affixed to the carton as well.
(Even for a basic $200 2m FM box!)
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/