Big dish wanted + swap for 1.5m solid and 2.1m TVRO

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Big dish wanted + swap for 1.5m solid and 2.1m TVRO

Post by VK3IH »

I have a 1.5m solid 'cable and wireless' ex schools network up link and a 2.1m TVRO mesh dish BUT I am looking for a bigger mesh dish 3.5m or larger - bigger the better, any offers or leads on dish whereabouts appreciated.

Can deliver to Gippstech

Paul VK3IH
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Re: Big dish wanted + swap for 1.5m solid and 2.1m TVRO

Post by VK2JDS »

HI Paul,
every now and then a big one comes up on gumtree but you have to be quick to jump on it.
be prepared for quite a long drive towing a trailer. Enlist the asistance of some mates.and take grinder, drills and spanners. Shovel, pick and crowbar for the mount removal. Most of the owners watched chinese tv on Cband and they want them gone from their yards. Even the pole is worth saving as they are expensive new.
I gather you are after TVRO 4.3 or 4.6 metres. The 4.3s are a light duty design which is quite user friendly, while the 4.6m ( and bigger) is heavy and requires a grinder to dismantle, and new stainless nut and bolt hardware to reassemble. The mount will be rusted, but parts can be fabricated. The disks holding the arms to the centre drum will likely need to be renewed and a new hub welded on. I used 1/4" plate steel and a lot of drilling is involved. They are worth the effort though, i have done 2 up now and my main one is coming up to a rebuild imminently, its skirted out to 5m. Its the elevation 'bearing' that ovals out and the bolt decreases in size untill it breaks. When rebuilding the mount weld a tube inside so the pivot bolt isnt just sitting on the edges of 2 plates.
73 Dave
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Re: Big dish wanted + swap for 1.5m solid and 2.1m TVRO

Post by VK3IH »

Thanks for the advice Dave! yes something over 4m would be fantastic.......

HAVE GRINDER WILL TRAVEL!

Paul VK3IH
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria