30m SSB

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2FAK

30m SSB

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

I know we are aloud to transmit on 30m taking care not to interfere with commercial radio...

But why is there 2 or more Australian operators chatting on 10.140 right in the digital modes area....

The 2 that I have rec. are VK3JG and VK4FWA....and just copying now...as well as yesterday afternoon.

Maybe someone could suggest they not do it....?

John
VK3LU

Re: 30m SSB

Post by VK3LU »

John,
Perhaps you could drop in on them and politely suggest to them that they are not really allowed to transmit in that portion of the band.
I was guilty of doing that once a couple of years ago out of sheer ignorance. :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Nev
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Technically they doing nothing wrong.

From the LCD the band "10.100 MHz–10.150 MHz "has emission mode restrictions of "Any emission mode with a necessary bandwidth no greater than 8 kHz".

Now, before the band police go all anal about it, yes, I realise there is a band plan. However it has no legal standing and is, in fact, a non-binding code of conduct at best and a gentleman's agreement at worst.

Are they being impolite? Probably.

Are they interfering with other users? Who knows, the odds are probably not.

Are they operating contrary to their licence conditions? No.

I offer two pieces of advice in relation to these sorts of things:

1. Take a chill pill and relax - you'll live longer.
2. After taking the pill, also swallow a teaspoon of cement, and harden up. The world is full of things that we might not like but you'll end up a real mess if you let it get to you.

Have a nice, relaxed day,
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

HI all....

Chill pill.......Its called having some respect for what others are doing...

interfering with others....better believe it, they were...

30m is generally a weak signal band....any signals like SSB in the wrong place mess up quite a bit...

BUT...let me get back to my original comment above........Respect for what others are doing, and not interfering due to lack of knowledge or ignorance ...

oops, dropped the Chill pill on the floor...

John
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

I can understand your point of view here John. I'm now so badly hearing impaired that the only mode I can use now is Digital modes. Now ok I can't use 30M on my std Licence but it's not just 30M that cops it. It is other bands as well. For example, I was in the middle of an SSTV QSO on 20M when a VK decided to park himself on the same Frequency and call CQ contest for the next hour. There was no "this is VK??? is this frequency clear" or have a listen first it was just set the dial and call away without thinking of who else is there.
I mean the bottom line is that the bands is big enough for any SSB operator to use without them having to come into the tiny space that is set aside for digital modes. It happens every time there is a major contest on and even outside of contest times where people just don't look at the band plan or even care about where they have their QSO. Whether it's on the band plan or a gentlemen's agreement we all need to careful of where we are on the dial and make sure we are not interfering with other users so I say before you plant yourself on a set Frequency for contesting or just a general QSO have a look at the band plan first. It's simple common courtesy. You don't see us Digital mode operators working outside the digital mode Frequency's so I expect the same courtesy for SSB operators to stay clear of digital mode frequency's.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Robert
VK4LHD
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All...

Yes Robert you are right....I am not saying there is no place for SSB on 30m....I am saying not smack in the middle of the digital modes segment...

And those 2 still have not figured it out as they are using SSB right now on 10.140.....this not only effect us.....but everyone uses this part of the band for digital modes in this segment....

John
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

It won't shift them wingeing on this forum. Go and talk to them.
David
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

From time to time I find SSB and AM stations pop up in the evening in the CW DX segment of 160 m, typically around 1825 kHz.

Sometimes the AM transmissions are unidentified (music and non-verbal "tests"), but usually it is someone properly calling CQ.

I usually change to their mode and take them up the band into the phone segment and have a chat with them, explaining politely the Band Plans, which incidentally, were only revised several years ago.

The SSTV segment on 20 m is frequently encroached on by SSB phone ops too, but that is somewhere I don't go.

Luke VK3HJ
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

Ummm, actually, we DO see digi dudes encroaching on the CW sub bands, Robert. Lately, we see a lot of JT65 skeds in the 14050-14060 window, for whatever reason...and PSK31 gradually creeping downwards....and some new mode that has adopted 14067 as it's centre frequency. Don't even get me going about RTTY contests. The band plan also calls for a guard band around 14100 for the NCDXF beacons - more honoured in the abuse than obeyed.

When they do find it necessary to encroach on the CW sub-bands, not once in my 43 years as a ham, have I ever heard a digi operator ask if the frequency is in use before letting fly. Not once.

John VK4TJ
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

From my reading of the WIA Bandplan (which is a guide only and not mandatory) SSB operation is permitted between 10.115 and 10.140 kHz with digital between 10.140 kHz and 10.150 kHz.

What the WIA Bandplan does not include is a provision for a guard band for the transition from one mode to another. For example operating on SSB top sub band edge of 10.140 kHz on USB actually results in the transmitted sideband being above 10.140 kHz.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

That would mean that the ssb transmission is outside the band plan because the sidebands are above 140. You don't need any guard band. :thumbdown:
David