Repeater application process

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Repeater application process

Post by VK4EA »

I'm trying to get a feel for how long an application, for a new 70cm DStar repeater in Brisbane will take to get processed?

And indeed, which individuals are volunteering their time to facilitate the applications on behalf of the WIA?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Re: Repeater application process

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi Peter,

Peter Mill is back dealing with repeater applications- you have 2 options I would suggest...

1. Submit your paperwork to ACMA and they will forward it to the WIA. OR
2. Submit your paperwork to the WIA office, who will refer it to Peter Mill.

ACMA have indicated they want (1) to be followed... but it will add time to the process.

Whatever you do my advice is to make your application as complete and correct as you possibly can. The more "routine" it is the faster it will go through. But I think you know that...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Thanks Richard, I take it from your post Peter had taken a break? There is a very grumpy local TAC ready to give it away due to a lack of response. The WIA had better take notice and look after its volunteers.

Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

Hi Peter

We applied back in September last year and we are still waiting. I followed it up several times, ACMA have it sitting in a todo tray. The processing time is an absolute joke.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Are they able to give an actual time frame, like "n weeks". (I'm thinking N should be an integer less than 50)
How much quicker is it if the application is sent directly to the ACMA bypassing the WIA process?
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I am informed that the hold up is within the ACMA. All frequency assignment work (commercial as well as amateur) is experiencing some five (5) months (~20 weeks) delay and has been since at least the last quarter of 2014.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

I can also confirm acma are holding it up and not the wia.
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK4EA wrote:I'm trying to get a feel for how long an application, for a new 70cm DStar repeater in Brisbane will take to get processed?

And indeed, which individuals are volunteering their time to facilitate the applications on behalf of the WIA?

Peter, from my previous two experiences with applying for 70cm repeater applications:

- About five years ago, I submitted my application to the WIA in August of that year. ACMA then received it from the WIA in late December of that year. The ACMA then issued the license by mid January of the following year.

- This time around, submitted an application at the start of September last year, ACMA then received it from the WIA in mid December last year. The ACMA then advised me that it won't be processed until March of this year, unless I wish to have a third party provider process it (at relative substantial cost of course), but as I was in no rush, I left it with the ACMA. In the end, it was licensed in April of this year.

Whilst many of us could suggest that this process occur in a more timely manner, I think considering the relatively low cost (to the applicant) of this process, that we should be satisfactorily happy with this.

My advice to anyone entertaining the idea of establishing a new repeater, is that you should complete and submit your application as the very first step. Then go about sourcing your equipment, parts, etc and carry out some limited testing and prepare for final site installation. Don't first spend the time gathering equipment to then submit your application. Get your application in first is my advice.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

There is always an option if you don't wish to wait- pay an "Approved Person" to carry out the frequency assignment work. My employer can get licenses through an AP in a few weeks- but you have to pay and it isn't cheap. Otherwise sit back and enjoy the wait... there is nothing that the WIA or any other group can do about it until the ACMA sorts out its "problems".

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5GR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5GR »

VK3BA wrote:My advice to anyone entertaining the idea of establishing a new repeater, is that you should complete and submit your application as the very first step. Then go about sourcing your equipment, parts, etc and carry out some limited testing and prepare for final site installation. Don't first spend the time gathering equipment to then submit your application. Get your application in first is my advice.
The only thing I would add to this advice is, if you don't proceed with the repeater because you loose steam and cant find all of the parts, please cancel your license so the frequency can be used by someone else! Free 2m repeater channels in particular on the east coast are becoming something of a luxury.
Grant VK5GR
Highbury, South Australia
http://vk5gr-iota.net/VK5GR