Cheap source of fibreglass for non-conductive cross booms

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Cheap source of fibreglass for non-conductive cross booms

Post by VK3DXE »

I was at Aldi this evening and spied a pile of "Extendable Painting Poles" discounted from about 20 bucks each to around $16 apiece. What caught my eye was the fibreglass bottom section, which is about 1180mm long and 32mm OD with about 2.1mm wall thickness, making it aaaalmost long enough to use a pair as a cross boom on a small to medium 2m or 70cm array of 2 horizontally polarised yagis with a suitable length aluminium centre piece through the elevation rotator. My other thought is that I could use these on a smallish x-pol array for EME work.
Pole.jpg
Pole.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Removal of the unwanted bits is achieved by undoing 2 screws, then all the fittings just lift off.
Pole Top.jpg
Pole Top.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
The OD of the poles is just right for a clamp from an old Diamond vertical antenna to clamp nice and snugly on. I expect it won't take a whole lot of rotational torque to twist it, but for a small, very lightweight antenna on the end, this could work well for a quick and simple 2m portable array.

Anyways, I thought I'd post this as a heads up for anybody else that might be looking for a cheap source of (apparently) reasonable quality fibreglass poles. I've been hunting for some recently and have been quoted some hideously expensive prices, so thought this was worth splashing just over $30 on as an experiment.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: Cheap source of fibreglass for non-conductive cross boom

Post by VK1JA »

Good find Alan,

Considering the nonconductive 3m cross boom that I bought a few years ago (and still haven't used) was $360 :shock:
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I was on the verge of buying an M2 one before ATRC went belly up. I've been looking for an economical solution ever since.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I picked up a sailboard/windsurfer mast for cheap from eBay today. I plan to do a bit of testing and see whether a couple of these might make a decent heavy duty cross boom. Total length is 4.8m so the bottom half should work quite nicely and be quite strong.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

I use a windsurfer mast for field day activities, vety strong and squid pole fits nicely on top too..........
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK2BJP

Post by VK2BJP »

I bought a 43mm x 3 meter fibreglass heavy wall tube, which I use as a crossbeam for my long yagi's from Excel Composites for $127 delivered,
considering the quality of the tube I thought it was pretty good value.
VK5APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5APN »

Similar experiences with Excel composites.

Cheap, designed to your dimensions, wall thickness.....

They actually made a mandrel for my job (tapered tubing)

Delivery included came out very reasonable indeed

Wayne VK5APN
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Excellent, thanks Wayne and Russ. I'll give them a shout.

I may still end up going with the sailboard mast idea as I already have it, but I can always use it as a mast for HF wire antennas.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv