Next Generation VHF beacons | Conversion to Digital

Amateur beacons
VK6DVR
Forum Novice

Next Generation VHF beacons | Conversion to Digital

Post by VK6DVR »

Next Generation VHF Amateur Radio beacons | Conversion to Digital Mode/s

Purpose and goals:

The whole idea of this collaboration-based WORK-IN-PROGRESS website http://sites.google.com/site/vk6dvr/ is to provide some preliminary ideas to spawn an action plan to provide an outcome for completing a working beacon of basic digital mode functionality, at least, hopefully targetting the 50.304MHz beacon VK6RSX/b at Dampier. Whoever is gracious enough to work with a team to maybe modify an existing beacon with minimum fuss, would be greatly appreciated.

This website is collaboration-based and works on the basis of invited guests who initially can view, but potentially can edit the website if a user wishes to commit to a team members role. You must have a valid gMail email account and be authenticated as you enter this website. Usually, it is preferred to use your callsign as the prefix to your gMail login.

We expect that invited guests adopt courteous practices in the process of achieving the mission's goals.

Additionally, comments and brain-storming will also be handled on the VKLogger website at this following url:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=13106#p54984

Danny Robinson, VK6DVR | Perth, W.Australia
Danny Robinson, VK6DVR
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Re: Next Generation VHF beacons | Conversion to Digital

Post by ZL2BKC »

Danny,

You may find this solution fits your intended application with most of the "hard work" already done:

http://zl2bkc.com/2015/02/24/multi-beac ... er-update/
Current Beacon Controller Features

Ability to drive 4 ZLPLL boards providing 4 separate bands
All parameters and message formats setup via RS232 interface
DTMF control to remotely change power levels, frequency shifts, mode schedules and power off bands as required
Daytime and Night-time schedule for changing power levels or go QRT overnight.
Supports JT4D on 144MHz and 432MHz, JT4F on 1296MHz and JT4G on 2.4 or 3.4GHz bands
Supports FSK CW or OOK CW (On-Of-Keyed)
Supports FSK441 on all bands for MS experimentation
CW Frequency exactly on designated frequency making it suitable for GPS locked standard
Take note that FSK441 is already supported.

More features are planned but my day job is consuming all the 1's and 0's in my head space so it will be a while before I get my teeth back into the software.

Note to self: Need to post another blog entry since VK4RBB is now on air :D

Wayne
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1KW »

I wish I could -
build a GPS locked beacon generator with multiple outputs locked to ALL the possible VHF/UHF/SHF bands as per a multiple band beacon license.
Needs to be fully programmable for multimode ID's and totally flexible so that all clubs can program it to suite their beacon frequencies on each of their bands.

In this year of digital control I am amazed that I cannot buy such a device off the shelf or at lease purchase the guts off an expert Australian designer.
Everyone seems to be fiddling around with single band devices - its time to think big, not just a conversion but a standard you can sell.
Six bands in the one box - VK can do!

Regards
Regards
Rob
VK1KW
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Danny, have you touched base with the WA VHF Group? Seeing as you want to progress your plans with the Dampier beacon I strongly suggest you contact them in the 1st instance (they are the custodians of all VK6 beacons VHF and above.)

I believe they were planning to GPS lock all WA VHF and above beacons but as to making them "digital" I have no idea.

Communicate with them first.
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein