Werner Wulf Cams

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3TPR

Werner Wulf Cams

Post by VK3TPR »

I have a 4 element WW 6 meter antenna which I am about to place up the mast at 30 feet, but am concerned at the clamping security of the cams, they seem to only hold by the friction of a knife edge (cam edge) and are easily released by a minimal back turn.

Does anyone have any experience with these element attachment methods.

I know Andy Cooman (Com-an-tena) no longer uses the WW cams. (Andy bought the Werner Wulf business)

regards
Peter Roberts VK3TPR
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Werner Wulf Cams

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3TPR wrote:I know Andy Cooman (Com-an-tena) no longer uses the WW cams. (Andy bought the Werner Wulf business)
Peter, hate to ask the obvious, but have you called Andy directly to enquire about what system he now employs?

Elements becoming loose in strong wind gusts could become lethal, let alone the damage to any property.

If there are any concerns about this, and obviously there are, it might be prudent to do something about it, before a serious (and possibly expensive litigious) situation arises?

At least when a tower/mast falls over, the damage is somewhat contained.
Flying bits of aluminium can carry for 100's of metres, spearing anything in strikes.
If it were to strike a vehicle driving along a nearby busy road, the chain reaction of events could be significant.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3TPR

Post by VK3TPR »

Wow, wasn't expecting such a heavy response ... litigation ouch, good thing the antenna is still on the ground eh.

I've made a couple of contacts with it pointing Nth at 7ft off the ground.

Did speak to Andy Cooman, all he said is that he no longer uses WW cams.

Peter
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

they seem to only hold by the friction of a knife edge (cam edge) and are easily released by a minimal back turn.
Peter

I would suggest that something is wrong with the cams... my old 10m yagi (now close to 20 years old) utilises the WW cams and to lock I have had to use a 1/2" steel bar to move cam into it's lock position -flat part of cam - and there is no movement once locked. The 6m version would be no different.... I assume! :roll:

Andy doesn't employ the same fitings.... my experience with Andy's antenna's (he's build both of my 15m and 20m 5 element mono banders) is that he utilises standard u-bolt approaches.
Last edited by VK4CZ on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3TPR

Post by VK3TPR »

Thanks for the reply Scott, on closer inspection I can see that the cam needs to be further rotated till the flat part engages, hence your use of the long steel rod/bar.

I was using a drill bit but it was too short to apply much leverage, will polish up the cams first, then I'll get hold of a decent length of rod and see if I can seat them properly.

Thanks again Scott.

Peter