Have you recently tried becoming a WIA Exams Assessor?

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4WDM

Re: Have you recently tried becoming a WIA Exams Assessor?

Post by VK4WDM »

perhaps it's time to retest everybody?
Fortunately for all of us, including humble self, this is never going to happen. :D The cost alone would exclude it, and the trend is away from increased regulation not more regulation, so it is not really worth debating that question.

I also know, and you do to, that any amount of re-testing will not clean up the bad behavior on the bands. Some of the worst offenders are very experienced operators whose knowledge per se is not the issue.

I think it is time for all posters, including me, to get back to the original topic:
Have you recently tried becoming a WIA Exams Assessor?
If there is no more meaningful debate on it maybe it is time for ADMIN to close the thread.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

I've been an assessor for sometime now, i find the process rewarding. However I am looking forward to seeing the paperwork side of the process streamlined, it sometimes takes longer to complete the paperwork than carrying out the assessment.

As for the process to become an assessor, before starting, join the WIA.

1. A WIA affliated club has to nominate you
2. You need to hold a 'working with children' police check (varies state to state)
3. Complete 4 x TAE units set and assessed by Trainsafe (WIA RTO) which is run by Fed Swainston. It's done via email, the exercises are not difficult, and if you have any problems Fred is very helpful.
4. Once done you get a certificate of achievement for the TAEs
5. Then the WIA sends you a certificate indicating you are an acredited assesor, logbook and the current copy of the assessment instructions
6. Then you can order exam packs

I'd suggest doing a few assessments with an experienced assessor before leading an assessment. Note there must always be two assessors, or one assessor and a learning facilitator present.

Done, go forth and bring new people into the hobby.

Peter, VK4EA , 4-055

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK4EA wrote:I've been an assessor for sometime now, i find the process rewarding. However I am looking forward to seeing the paperwork side of the process streamlined, it sometimes takes longer to complete the paperwork than carrying out the assessment.

As for the process to become an assessor, before starting, join the WIA.

1. A WIA affliated club has to nominate you
2. You need to hold a 'working with children' police check (varies state to state)
3. Complete 4 x TAE units set and assessed by Trainsafe (WIA RTO) which is run by Fed Swainston. It's done via email, the exercises are not difficult, and if you have any problems Fred is very helpful.
5. Then the WIA sends you a certificate indicating you are an acredited assesor, logbook and the current copy of the assessment instructions

I'd suggest doing a few assessments with an experienced assessor before leading an assessment. Note there must always be two assessors, or one assessor and a learning facilitator present.

Done, go forth and bring new people into the hobby.

Peter, VK4EA , 4-055

That being said makes it sound very simple. This discussion has come up a few times at our club meetings and we were under the impression you needed to go sit a few days of study in the big smoke which is not so easy for us country bums. Maybe that was the case and has changed since?
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

i did everything via email and one phone call to Fred

Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK4DU wrote:If you have a complaint, may I most respectfully suggest that you take it to the ACMA......
WIA representation. We don't have a say, we do what we're told from above.
You still didn't answer the question: What does it achieve for Amateur radio?

More cost, more time, more paperwork and nothing else.

So I'm guessing you don't have an answer either Roger? Do you really want the plebians lobbying Malcolm Turnbull directly?
Because as I said above, we might fvck it up for everybody with just one letter or worse; we might get some attention and get it changed.

Has the WIA the lobbed the minister directly and gone over the ACMA or is the WIA afraid of repercussions from the ACMA if they do?
Because when I decide to get up off my lazy a***, that's what I'm going to do. I don't have to fear the ACMA killing my golden goose.
VK2AAH wrote: Rules get changed by government all the time. I only was on P plates for a year. I suppose changing that rule was corrupt too?
Still not listening to the constituents Richard? Why were the P plate rules changed? For driver and public safety. There was a clear reason given for it and I might suggest some road safety statistics to back it up. The same thing could be said for bicycle helmets, but the statistics suggest that law was ineffectual, yet they don't repeal it.
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Rules change over time, that is progress. But I suppose an anarchist hates rules, even logical ones.
Yes I am an anarchist, but nobody ever doubted that. But it's not logical Richard. You can't answer the question either can you?
WHAT BENEFIT HAS THE PRACTICAL EXAM GIVEN TO AMATEUR RADIO.

My answer is: NOTHING (but wasted cost, time & paperwork).
Face it, the hobby will always be prevented from achieving as much as it could not by the unity that the WIA brings, but by the childish arrogance of a vocal few who genuinely believe that the majority are dumb bast@rds who lack their brilliance. Delusional...
If you think that's what we think then it's no wonder you can't see what the problem is.

Have I ever personally attacked Roger or any of the WIA members? No. I've never EVER called them dumb, stupid, delusional or anything even close.
Quite the opposite. I have no doubt they're very thoughtful and calculated and deliberate with their actions.

I'm just pointing out what is wrong:
- That is the practical exam was introduced for no go reason. (They were told to)
- It serves no purpose and continues not to.
- It should be removed from the syllabus.
- This will save time and $75 and it won't make any difference to the operations of the radio spectrum.

The WIA says the ACMA makes them do it.
If WIA thinks the practical exam is of benefit to Amateur Radio, I want to know what that benefit is.
If the WIA knows it is not of any benefit does it care?
If the WIA knows it is not if any benefit does it lobby the ACMA to have it changed?
If the ACMA ignores or dismisses the concern, does the WIA raise the issue to a higher level? (The minister)

But since you don't know what I think Richard, I'll tell you what I think for the correction.
I think: that the WIA towed the line from the ACMA because they were acting in their own AND the hobby's best interests at the time with getting the Foundation licence off the ground.
This came at the expense of the rest of the licensing structure which is now more administratively complex costing more time and money.
The $75 charged for the practical exam is money in the pocket of the WIA. It does not want to change this situation, not that it can't or it just wont.
You might use the word greed to describe it, but I don't. It's a source of income and it's human and corporate behaviour to want to protect it.

So tell me again Richard; What benefit does the practical exam bring to Amateur Radio?
You're answer isn't valid until you've paid my $75 processing fee and I've checked you answer and confirmed you ID and forwarded the answer to the ministry of truth for verification.
Is it not morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money?
VK2AAH wrote:Wayne can you explain why you believe the practical is an "overkill"?
You want to hand me the burden of proof. I accept it.

Before 2005 there was no practical exams. Regardless of the ability to conduct them, which is no different then as it is now. Have they moved the power points closer to the exam papers since 2005?
Has there been a change in operator safety since 2005? Are there now less deaths and injury from Amateur radio use since 2005.
Has there been an increase in Amateur on air traffic since 2005 which we can show is caused by the practical exam being implemented?
Has the noise floor been lowered since 2005?

If the practical exam was removed NOTHING WOULD CHANGE, because nothing changed since it's introduction.
The benefit to Amateur radio is that operators would have $75 more in their pockets and have their licence approved about 2 minutes quicker because the requirement to tick the box would be gone.

How about this.... Amateur Radio would be worse off because the WIA would lose a source of income.
That can't be right can it?

So I hand the burden of proof back to you Richard (and others). What's the benefit?
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Trash,

Constituents? When did a self confessed anarchist become a "constituent"? You don't listen to others so why would I pay any heed to you? I listen to those who want to get in and help and not just use the internet to "trash" what they themselves aren't willing to implement. And if you are referring to your lunatic mate in Brisbane... then yep, I don't listen to W@nkers. He had the entire Spectrum committee of the WIA, and then passed to the WIA Board to consider his complaints. Not one person to my knowledge agreed with him... and ACMA engineers didn't agree with him either... so that is your idea of an AR leader? Yep, confirms my opinion of you. The rest of the world are stupid and you are the one genius who has the answers.

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

With the greatest possible respect VK2XSO, if you feel strongly about this issue, then may I suggest that you put your concerns in writing to the President of the WIA and the ACMA?

You have no justification throwing around allegations of corruption. Clearly, the WIA agree with the ACMA that a practical test is required.

However, if you have cogent arguments to the contrary, I'm sure that Phil would be pleased to hear them.
VK5GR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5GR »

VK4EA wrote:1. A WIA affliated club has to nominate you
Peter,

Yes in the end the process isn't as bad as it first appeared. It all becomes clearer once you talk to people and I have had a couple of emails with Fred. In my case. the ball is back in my court to get to the next step. At this stage I have just been endorsed by my local club to become an assessor. I will now start on 2 and 3.

I will say that my original post (and the original purpose of this thread) was that I was trying to figure out just what was involved, what was in the syllabus for the assessor course, what was the requirements for co-hosting an assessment etc. (The syllabus for the training course is still something I have had trouble finding BTW). What I ultimately found is that the WIA website doesn't explain very much of that. This was the point of frustration that lead to the post.

Now, if you want to discuss the way the WIA recruits assessors and the process they need to go through to become accredited then please continue in this thread. However, I also see a lot of other people heading off on complete tangents in this thread also. To all of you, that doesn't really help inform the question of simply "how does one do it"......... Your points and opinions are no doubt worth discussing, but perhaps would be better served in their own threads? Simple internet etiquette really - or do people online forget common courtesy when they hit the keys these days?

Regards,
Grant VK5GR
Grant VK5GR
Highbury, South Australia
http://vk5gr-iota.net/VK5GR
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

""Complete 4 x TAE units set and assessed by Trainsafe""

what are the unit numbers required pls?
I expect being in alighnement with the associated trades there are many who might rpl them ?
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

Have them already but wasnt given rpl.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

so what are the units , should be able to rpl then with a cert IV tia
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

If you already hold the required units then RPL is irrelevant. An RTO must recognise the assesments of other RTO's.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

From the wia website

TAASS301B
TAADEL301C
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

I am sure here are many with suitable qualifications on that basis