2.4 GHz power amplifiers using WLAN 'boosters'

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4VU
Frequent Poster

2.4 GHz power amplifiers using WLAN 'boosters'

Post by VK4VU »

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried using a WLAN 'booster' amplifier as a linear amplifier in a 2.4 GHz SSB transverter.

My understanding is that the coding schemes needed for higher data rates use 16-QAM and 64-QAM modulation which should mean that high linearity is required.
On this basis, SSB should not be a problem. There must be some RF sensing involved to allow for high speed Tx/Rx switching. I'm not sure how this would work in practice.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone that has tried this approach.

Thanks

Rod VK4VU
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: 2.4 GHz power amplifiers using WLAN 'boosters'

Post by VK5ZD »

I've tried one of these. It works OK but does not perform as specified.
Measured output power is 2.2W, measured gain is 14db.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Graham VK3XDK wondered the same and tested a WiFi amplifier here .
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Rod, why the QRP, don't you have a 30W Spectrian board? :om:
Plug & Play! :mrgreen:

Expensive to buy now though. :shock:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4VU
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4VU »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In the meantime, I have also found an article by Roger G8CUB in the January 2014 edition of the UK Microeave Group's 'Scatterpoint' newsletter )

http://www.scatterpoint.org/

This happens to be the same unit that Graham VK3XDK modified (EDUP Model EP-AB003).

G8CUB measured to power output at 2.32 GHz and obtained 37 dBm at the 1 dB compression point with17 dB gain– which aligns very closely with Graham’s measurements.
He also makes the observation that the transmit amplifier uses a pair of YP242434 devices

http://www.uniconic.com/INNOTION/YP242434.pdf

The data sheet states that each device is capable of providing +34 dBm at the 1 dB compression point, so the measured values of 36 - 37 dBm using two devices seems quite plausible.

The advertised ‘8 watts’ figure seems to be a bit (actually quite a long way) off the mark – particularly for the advertised application (WiFi booster amp) since the WCDMA ACPR and 802.11x EVM are getting close to the limit at around 30 dBm per device.

I agree with Adam’s assertion that the Spectrian 30 watt amplifier still represents good value for money (despite the current exchange rate), however in this case I was looking for something physically smaller with lower power consumption.

Rod VK4VU
VK4AQF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4AQF »

Successfully used on here with about 20mW drive to around 1W (29dBm) ish. Have to watch stability if the unit (amp PCB) is remounted. Shouldnt be problem in original case.
I was given some old DSE units that were supposed to be faulty, turned out the RF switches didnt operate properly, the amps are all fine :D.
Data and info on the RF chips in these are a problem as DSE units seem to have the part numbers scratched off!! :cry:

4AQF.