The chartreuse radio

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

The chartreuse radio

Post by VK3ALB »

Does anyone remember or have a copy of "The chartreuse radio"? I think it was published in AR some time in the 70's.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: The chartreuse radio

Post by VK3ALB »

Well I found it. It was published in QST March 1963 and I'm pretty sure it has been in AR and perhaps even ARA. Anyway, enjoy.

The Chartreuse Panels by John G Troster W6ISQ (SK)

W6FB from W6ISQ. OK, Fred. Thanks for the report and all that. You've got a nice signal in here. Good S9, nice quality.

"Well, Fred, the rig here is a Scandahoovian Pulverizer FD-7A driving the Potowatamee Paralyzer Model 3B. Just got the Paralyzer yesterday. Traded off an old Annhilator 17-K7Q for it. Of course, one big reason for the swap was that I finally got the entire layout here in matching cabinets - three-tone chartreuse, semi- super-gloss finish. Looks real keen with the red knobs.

"Aaaaaaannd, the receiver's an old model Super Snooper 497-3C with the panadapter, that’s the one with the 8-inch scope. But Fred, I'll tell ya, with the sun spots doing tricks like they are I suppose I oughta upgrade the receiver a bit. Trouble is, the panel color on this one is such a perfect match for the transmitter cabinets now that I got the new Paralyzer . . . . . . . well, quite a problem . . .

“Then, let's see. Oh yeah, the antenna's a new rotary Bangem-Slamem log periodic, stacked. Covers 1.8-144 megs . . . I guess. So what are ya using down there, Fred? W6FB - W61SQ."

" W61SQ this is W6FB. Fine, very nice equipment. You must do OK. Well, the gear here is all homebrew. The exciter's an all-band 150-watt affair - it sits on the table. And the all-band final with its power supplies are in a cabinet off to one side. Both units homebrew, as I said. The receiver also is homebrew and I try to keep it pretty well up to date with the latest gadgets -- kinda fun that way. Yes, I have a homebrew panadapter too. And the antenna is a full-size three-element affair - homebrew also. And how is the weather tip there? W6ISQ - W6FB."

"W6FB from W6ISQ. Very fine, Fred. Well, I'd say that Homebrew outfit is pretty good from the sound of your signal up here. Funny, I've never seen their advertisements in QST. Boy, if all that Homebrew line is as good as yours Sounds up here, I can't understand why those people at QST won't accept their advertisements. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever even saw that Homebrew line of equipment advertised anywhere. Or, for that matter, I never saw it on display at any of the stores either. Usually takes a little longer for some of that new stuff to get clear out here to the west coast. I'll keep on the lookout for it though. Sure is unusual to find an outfit who makes receivers and transmitters and antennas. Where did you say you bought that Homebrew gear - back east somewhere? W6FB - W6ISQ

" W61SQ - W6FB No, no. I mean homebrew is home made. I built all the equipment myself didn't buy it - made it. ISQ-FB."

"You what?” "I said I made the equipment I'm using."

"W6FB from W61SQ. You mean you put together all them tubes and resistors and . . . ahhh . . . the other pieces inside the box all yourself . . . ? "

"Sure, lots of fun. Always make my own stuff.”

"Oh, you mean you make them kits like I read about?"

"W61SQ this is W6FB. No, I didn't use kits. I just designed the various units, then bought the parts - or dug 'em out of the junk box - and then put 'em together. Lotsa fun. W61SQ - W6FB."

"FB - ISQ. Ya mean to tell me ya figured out where to put all . . . I thought only the factory . . . well, I suppose after ya get that diagram there's nothin' much to it. . . condenser here . . . resistor there . . . little glue . . . coupla wires around and about . . . screw in the tubes, and, booooooommmmmm . . . I mean, dah di dah dit dah dah di dah . . . good little job for Sunday afternoon.”

"Well ya know, Fred, I do most of the work around here too -that is, what I have time to do. Awful busy ya know, with, ahhhh . . . antenna tuner . . . coax fittings . . lamps . . . antenna insulators . . .”

"Ya know, Fred, it's just too bad these days that the new ops aren't getting any of the old experience like us - ahh - building our own - ahh - well, all that sort of thing, you know! Why, Fred, I'd go even so far as to say that everybody ought to have to build something! Fellas these days take the ham exam then stop off at the store on the way home and buy up everything in sight. Fred, I'd say the FCC oughta make these fellas stand right up there and solder up . . . err . . . hook up a receiver and a transmitter before they let 'em take the exam even. Why in a coupla years there won't be nobody who can solder a thing . . . even wires . . . ahhh . . . coax fittings!

"Of course, after you've been around as long as we have, Fred, ahhh . . . experience, yeeeaaahh.”

"Well, like I was sayin' before, with the old sun spots on the loose, I definitely need a new receiver here. Been thinkin' I might order me one of them new Super Snooper 497-4A's. But ya know, Fred, it'll take weeks before they can get it delivered. And ya never can get everything ya really need in them commercial jobs anyway. So I decided I'd just sacrifice some Sunday afternoon here one of these days and build me up a new receiver -like ya say, Fred, it's kinda fun to build your own stuff - us homebrew manufacturers, eh, Fred, old buddy! Haw!

". . . there's only one little thing though, Fred, that stops me from runnin' down and building that receiver this very instant! Ya know, I'm just not at all sure that I could get a hold of the particular shade of chartreuse panel I'd need here to match the Pulverizer-Paralyzer cabinets. Otherwise, Fred, ya know it 'ud be the old homebrew . . ."

:om:
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

:)
I smiled , cuts kinda close to the truth.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

This was published over 50 years ago.

In letters to the editor correspondents bemoan the advent of SSB over AM.
The ARRL worries about the rapid influx of newbies to the ranks that are "much more interested in operating than technical aspects".
Others complain about the high technical content in the articles whilst pleading for "a regular series on basic radio theory".

The ARRL was under attack from it's members.

There are comments about restricted voice access on some bands complaining that it is surely a plot by the ARRL to force increased CW proficiency.
The cry of "This won't do anything for me so I'm opposed and am dropping my membership" when it comes to proposals was not unusual.

The ARRL was supported by it's members.

There are also many letters of support for the building of ARRL headquarters at 225 Main St Newington, Conn. ARRL members had raised $100,000 of the targeted $250,000 required to complete the building. Many supporters write in pledging what money they can to assist in the project.

In the world above 50Mc David VK3AUU reports on a "magnificent day on v.h.f. in VK." Two metres was open along the east coast with contacts out to 900 miles and even then, VK5BC figures in the big DX working VK4ZAX at almost 1000 miles. David explains, "Most of the contacts were on phone as the limited license stations with Z calls are not permitted to use CW".

Elsewhere, ham population figures of 250,000 in the US and 7,000 in VK.

The world certainly was a different place way back then.

Those were the days eh? :om:
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK3ALB wrote:The world certainly was a different place way back then.
The world might have been different, but was amateur radio?

Let's go back even further, to the Key Section notes in Amateur Radio October 1933 http://www.armag.vk6uu.id.au/1933-october-AR.html

A few quotes:

"DX has its bad points. Have you ever searched the band end to end in the hope there is someone with whom you can have a yarn - in vain?"

"Has it ever struck you that DX is no longer the wonder it was a few years ago?"

"Let us realise that DX is not an achievement in these days and our licences were granted primarily for experimental work and if we are to EXIST in the not so distant future ....
we need to band together ... etc"

And you'll find denunciations of apathy etc going back to the earliest days. Amateur radio's been going to end for about the last 80 years or so.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Lou
you mentioned VK4ZAX . I worked Dane often on 6m in the late 50s and early 60s when I was VK3ZGH.
I visited him once and was amazed at his shack and antenna farm. No wonder he worked a lot of DX!
Does anyone know if he is still around?

Cheers
Nev
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Qrz has Dave 4zrx as living in Logan at Springwood
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

4TI
I am talking about DANE, VK4ZAX . His surname is HORGAN.

Cheers
Nev
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Typo
information seems right , have a look
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3YE wrote:
The world might have been different, but was amateur radio?

. . . . .

And you'll find denunciations of apathy etc going back to the earliest days. Amateur radio's been going to end for about the last 80 years or so.
Yes Peter, just the point I wanted to make. Sometimes I'm reminded of the Monty Python skit, "Bring out yer dead". Perhaps we need someone to belt the hobby over the head while no one is looking? :om3:
Lou - VK3ALB