10m tilt-over winch-up tower

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK5SA
Forum Novice

10m tilt-over winch-up tower

Post by VK5SA »

I seem to remember that someone is now making a 10m tilt-over winch-up tower here in Oz, but can't find them.

From memory, they are in NSW or Qld, and announced themselves either here or on VKHam.

Can anyone help, please?

Cheers,

Chris
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Re: 10m tilt-over winch-up tower

Post by VK7XX »

Andy Coman in VK3 makes guyed aluminium wind up/tilt overs. Ph 0419 542 437. I have one of his taller ones and am quite happy with it. There are other manufacturers too, making steel ones, but for the life of me, I cant remember the company name.

John
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks, John.

I have heard nothing but good things about Andy.

However, limited yard space limits me to a free-standing tower, inability to climb limits me to winch-up/tilt-over, and my local council limits me to 10m.

Thanks again - Chris
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

Chris, have a look here http://www.nallyradiotowers.com.au/prod ... ng%20Tower might be worth a phone call to them......
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks, John.

I have a Nally 13.7m towers, but it's too high for my local council.

Cheers,

Chris
VK3BY

Post by VK3BY »

Chris

Someone advertised on vk-ham 10m towers. He was down Geelong way here in vk3. I think I still have the details (email address) at home. I am at work at the moment and will have a look and let you know later this afternoon.

Regards

David
vk3by
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

That would be great, David, thanks.

Chris
VK3BY

Post by VK3BY »

Chris

The information I have is vk3tcv he had an add a couple of months ago for a 10m tilt over for around 1k I think. Check qrz for details of location, I have this email address as I was going to inquire about a tower myself but smaller than 10m. Let me know how you go.

cvellasparky641964@gmail.com

Regards

David
vk3by
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks David - email sent.

Cheers,

Chris
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

G'day Chris.

I know everyone equates "Nally" with their big 14 m tilt-overs, but they also make a smaller one; much easier to fit into a small backyard. I saw one a few years ago at the QTH of Len, VK3BMY; he was in a small unit at Numurkah, with little room for a big tower.

http://www.nallyradiotowers.com.au/prod ... ver%20Mast

Goes up to 7.7 metres; there's a plate for the rotator, and I goes a stub mast above that would take you up till you hit your maximum height - if you wanted to push it that far.

Of course there's no provision for a thrust bearing to take the lateral load from the rotator, but if you're not going to put anything enormous up then that would be less of an issue.

Good hunting!

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3GDM

Post by VK3GDM »

Have a look at this web site http://www.nbsantennas.com.au/masts_products.html
Go to the bottom of the page.

73 David VK3GDM
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks, David.

Email sent.

Cheers,

Chris
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks, all.

I now have a Nally tower and rotator for sale :mrgreen:

Chris
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

Try Barry, VK4TI.

He has made a number of towers, I think he can do either galvanised steel or Al.

He's on the logger often, you could PM him there also.
He's in south Brisbane area.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Thanks, Tim - sorry my humour was unclear :?

(It's a hot day here, and I have yet to have my first Cooper's Pale Ale; that's my excuse)

I bought the NBS Antennas beastie, hence the Nally now up for sale.

One aspect that appealed to me is the ability to be able to ensure that it cannot be raised to over 10m, by changing the middle tube.

The regulations here state that "the total height of the prescribed infrastructure, when constructed, altered or extended, will not exceed (taking into account attachments (if any)) 10m", and I am sure that will be checked when it goes up.

Cheers,

Chris
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

Been a while, but finally got it up.

Works a treat :D

Chris
Attachments
For_QRZ_1.jpg
VK5LTD
Forum Novice

Post by VK5LTD »

I'll be interested in how the new antenna performs when you've used it for a while.

Was this kit or homebrew?

Will the council have anything to say about the antenna exceeding 10m height or is the supporting mast only subject to the height limitation?

Great it's finally up and on air
VK5SA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5SA »

I bought it from Ant (http://www.g3txq-hexbeam.com/) in the UK when the exchange rate was better than it is now, and it went together very easily.
You can see from my QRZ.COM log page that it works well, with 29 countries worked since I put it up, and that's with the IC-7410 barefoot, and only an hour or so of casual operating each week.

The top of the antenna is at 10m, as the total height is what the Council said is what they would measure.
I'm in the Norwood, Payneham and St. Peters council area, and they are quite strict, but also very helpful if you treat them nicely.

Be aware that the NBS tower cannot be used with a hex beam as standard, despite the pictures on the site.
The horizontal elements of the carriage do not go out far enough, and need to be lengthened by 50mm each.
I discovered this after installing the tower, and measuring up for the hex.
The manufacturer offered me a replacement for $275, which would have left me $275 out of pocket, and with a spare carriage (that I had already paid for) only good for scrap.
I had a local welder extend the existing carriage in exchange for a slab of Pale Ale.....

The beam looks spindly in the photo, but I have had up to six sulphur crested cockatoos on it at once, happily munching away on walnuts from my neighbour's tree :D

Now to find a 400W solid state PA, and the station will be complete!
VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

Looks good and I am sure works really well.

NBS actually have 2 versions of the carriage unit one with longer brackets for mounting a hex. When I mentioned to Brian that I was looking at building a hex beam he supplied the appropriate unit. Mind you it was easy for me as I picked up the base personally.

Everything is still sitting in the shed ... Just need to get the hole drilled and concrete ordered...and the hex built. Not long now. :D

Regards
Bernard