Facts about the Russian Woodpecker!!

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Facts about the Russian Woodpecker!!

Post by ZL3MF »

Very interesting videos and read....thanks to VK4CZ putting this on Facebook!! :D

http://qrznow.com/russian-woodpecker-trailer/

Russian Woodpecker
Starting in 1976 a new and powerful radio signal was detected worldwide, and quickly dubbed the Woodpecker by amateur radio operators. Transmission power on some woodpecker transmitters was estimated to be as high as 10 MW equivalent isotropically radiated power

Triangulation quickly revealed the signals came from Ukraine. Confusion due to small differences in the reports being made from various military sources led to the site being alternately located near Kiev, Minsk, Chernobyl, Gomel or Chernihiv. All of these reports were describing the same deployment, with the transmitter only a few kilometers southwest of Chernobyl (south of Minsk, northwest of Kiev) and the receiver about 50 km northeast of Chernobyl (just west of Chernihiv, south of Gomel). Unknown to civilian observers at the time, NATO was aware of the new installation[citation needed], which they referred to as Steel Yard.

Duga-3 Russian: Дуга-3 (NATO reporting name Steel Yard) was a Soviet over-the-horizon (OTH) radar system used as part of the Soviet ABM early-warning network. The system operated from July 1976 to December 1989. Two Duga-3 radars were deployed, one near Chernobyl and Chernihiv, the other in eastern Siberia.

The Duga-3 systems were extremely powerful, over 10 MW in some cases, and broadcast in the shortwave radio bands. They appeared without warning, sounding like a sharp, repetitive tapping noise at 10 Hz,[1] which led to it being nicknamed by shortwave listeners the Russian Woodpecker. The random frequency hops disrupted legitimate broadcast, amateur radio, commercial aviation communications, utility transmissions, and resulted in thousands of complaints by many countries worldwide. The signal became such a nuisance that some receivers such as amateur radios and televisions actually began including ‘Woodpecker Blankers’ in their design.

The unclaimed signal was a source for much speculation, giving rise to theories such as Soviet mind control and weather control experiments. However, many experts and amateur radio hobbyists quickly realized it to be an over-the-horizon radar system. NATO military intelligence had already photographed the system and given it the NATO reporting name Steel Yard. This theory was publicly confirmed after the fall of the Soviet Union.
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Re: Facts about the Russian Woodpecker!!

Post by ZL3MF »

ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

While we are on the subject of "unusual" signals can anyone tell me what those signals are at the bottom of 40m, sounds African and there are heaps of them singing and chanting possibly some religious transmissions??? they don't seem to be hams either....
The bottom end of 40m also gets clobbered by something similar to the Russian Woodpecker it appears all over the HF band and have heard it up to 35nhz..does anyone know where that is coming from?

Cheers

Mike ZL3MF
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

" it appears all over the HF band and have heard it up to 35mhz"
gday

That will be the ZC4 [british sovereign base} on cyprus.

Some sort of OTHR , i have heard it as high as 34 mhz way back in about 1982.

The UK has 2? military bases on cyprus and the ham prefix is ZC4.

Very very loud here in Perth, sometimes near full scale right over the tops of ham bands.

i looked at the bases on google earth pro and i am sure i can see the towers or towers and buildings which may or may not be for this nasty tx.

Very annoying and comes to you with compliments of the UK government.

vk6ro march 15 2015

e&oe
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK6SIX wrote:" it appears all over the HF band and have heard it up to 35mhz"
gday

That will be the ZC4 [british sovereign base} on cyprus.

Some sort of OTHR , i have heard it as high as 34 mhz way back in about 1982.

The UK has 2? military bases on cyprus and the ham prefix is ZC4.

Very very loud here in Perth, sometimes near full scale right over the tops of ham bands.

i looked at the bases on google earth pro and i am sure i can see the towers or towers and buildings which may or may not be for this nasty tx.

Very annoying and comes to you with compliments of the UK government.

Thanks for the info very strong here in ZL too still curious about the SSB signals at the bottom of 40m some religious stuff???

vk6ro march 15 2015

e&oe
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Previously posted, but an oldie & a goodie. :popcorn:

VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"Strange" signals is a dangerous subject! You might get a late night visit from some hunky guys wearing trench coats, trilby hats and dark glasses, and if you are very lucky, a good looking lady in a black mini-skirt and heels - she is the one who took care of the diplomat in a Middle East hotel a few years ago :shock:

Wayne VK4WDM