WSPR stops RX'ing after TX.

WSPR discussion
VK6DF

WSPR stops RX'ing after TX.

Post by VK6DF »

Bare with me as im pretty new to WSPR. it seems to be all the rage at the moment so i thought id check it out.

So the issue iv noticed is...

If i set it up as an RX only station and set the TX fraction to 0% and leave it, i get decodes and it posts them on the WSPR map no problems.
If i set it to TX (at any interval) it will RX for set duration, it will then TX as its suppose to however once it finishes TX'ing and returns to RX the RX level drops to -30 and no longer decodes anything from then on.

i can unplug the line in to my PC and plug it back in and it works again until it TX's again.

Im using WSPR v2.0 but have also tried 2.12 and had the same result.

If i open up HRD's DM780 i can decode and TX digital modes without any issues.

So long story short, i can be and RX only station or TX station only but not both. has anyone else had similar issues? iv had a bit of a search on the google web but have not found anything covering this issue that i could find.

Thanks

Jono
VK6DF
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Re: WSPR stops RX'ing after TX.

Post by VK2ZIW »

Running WSPR on a PC chewing 100W will cost you $300 per year in electricity.

That's why I'm so passionate about, the Raspberry Pi or equivalent.

Better still, a Banana Pi with a SATA disk.

Power is now under 10W.

I did replace my 24x7 PC motherboard with an ASRock Q1900-ITX to get down to about 20W.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

Or build one of these. http://www.hanssummers.com/ultimate3/u3s.html but TX only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Jono,
welcome to WSPR and the forums.
VK6DF wrote:Bare with me as im pretty new to WSPR. it seems to be all the rage at the moment so i thought id check it out.
So the issue iv noticed is...
If i set it up as an RX only station and set the TX fraction to 0% and leave it, i get decodes and it posts them on the WSPR map no problems.
If i set it to TX (at any interval) it will RX for set duration, it will then TX as its suppose to however once it finishes TX'ing and returns to RX the RX level drops to -30 and no longer decodes anything from then on.
Jono VK6DF
If you have installed WSPR to a folder under "C:\Program files" or in the case of 64bit O/S "C:\Program files (x86)" then it is a mixed bag of permissions that will be applied to the directories and files. This often causes problems and if this is the case I would recommend copying the files from that directory to a newly created folder on the root of your Disk.

Now, you can test you current install to see if this is the problem by using the "Run as administrator" option when you start it from the start-menu or desktop icon, this gives it the needed rights to alter files in the protected folder.

For me at home, I created "C:\HAM_RADIO" folder and put all my WSJT ad WSPR installs there, then gave the local user identity "MODIFY" permissions on the folder. You can just copy the folder from the install location to the new folder, I even have multiple WSPR folders that each have special settings.

This might not be the problem but thought I would give you some where to start, as it sounded like a file permissions problem as it needs to write to a file called "all-wspr.txt" or something similar to that when it gets a decode, before uploading it to the WSPRnet site.

regard,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Try some clip-on ferrites for all cables leading to your PC (especially the ones going to your sound card). Loop the cables through the ferrite several times if possible. It is possible the sound card is getting upset if a little bit of RF is making it back in.

What other hardware are you using - are you going direct from radio to PC sound card? You may be better off building something with isolating transformers in the middle to stop ground loops etc which can make delicate electronics (PCs) unhappy. You can probably test whether RF is an issue by dropping the Tx power back to zero.. if the problem persists it must be an issue with switching not RF feedback.
VK6DF

Post by VK6DF »

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.

Alan, I'm using my PC because its what i have available right now, if i can get this to work and if i like it and don't lose interest my plan is to change to a Pi and stand alone radio located at my remote HF site where it will be a 24/7 beacon.

I'm using a Yaesu FT-950 and i use the fixed audio out port on the back to the sound card. Iv used this for many years and cable routes etc have not changed at all (i still use this exact same set up for DM780 without fault)
There is 2x ferrite clamps along the cable already.
RF power doesn't seem to be an issue, i can adjust between 5-100w and still suffer the same fault. i even set it so the software thought it was keying the radio but the radio was not transmitting and it still did the same thing where once it was finished with the TX and reverted back to RX'ing again the line in stopped again so that rules out RF feedback i think.

i tried a few different scenarios, if i set the TX to 0% and use it as RX only, i have no problems and it logs any decodes to WSPR.org map fine. if i set the TX to any level, it will work as expected right up until the TX transmission is completed and goes to RX again where it just stops.
If i then set the TX back to 0% the RX level doesn't return. the only way it will return is if i shut down the software and start again OR if i unplug and plug the line in cable.

Its as if once the TX is finished and it reverts back to RX that the software forgets about the line in or something.

I really want this to work, it seems like a cool little application and living in the North West there is no one else up this way experimenting with it so it would hopefully serve a good purpose.

Jono
VK6DF
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Johno,
VK6DF wrote:Hi folks,
If i then set the TX back to 0% the RX level doesn't return. the only way it will return is if i shut down the software and start again OR if i unplug and plug the line in cable.
Jono
VK6DF
When you remove the Audio cable, is that from the back of the radio or from the ports of the PC (important difference). Also what sort of interface connects the radio to the PC?

While hard to picture it all from here, it almost sounds like WSPR is being jumped to a different audio port in the PC and then comes back after the Plug and Play works out a change has happened. Does the PC have one of the fancy sound card mixer applets on it that shows surround effects?

Other than that I am a bit stumped as to what is going wrong for you. Generally the earlier 2.xx version of WSPR have been very hardy, if the error continues I would look at WSPR-X as an alternative.

regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK6DF

Post by VK6DF »

Hi Peter,
VK5PJ wrote:When you remove the Audio cable, is that from the back of the radio or from the ports of the PC (important difference). Also what sort of interface connects the radio to the PC?

While hard to picture it all from here, it almost sounds like WSPR is being jumped to a different audio port in the PC and then comes back after the Plug and Play works out a change has happened. Does the PC have one of the fancy sound card mixer applets on it that shows surround effects?
Its when i remove the audio cable from the laptop (can't easily get to the back of the radio). To me it sounds like that as well, when it reverts back to RX it forgets which line in it needs. there is only 1 option for line in so i dont understand why it cant locate it. iv checked the sound card drivers etc and they are all up to date.

I might give WSPR-X a try tonight when i get home

Jono
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Long shot but try turning up the PC microphone gain with the Windows audio controls.

I've just sorted out a problem with WSJT where it was giving all the right signs (spectrum display, 0dB level reading) but refusing to decode. Turns out the audio level was too low for the decoder.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK6DF

Post by VK6DF »

so my eyeballs are just about hanging out but i think iv had a win.

I tried running WSPR-X and experienced pretty much the same issue.
I deleted and re-installed v2.12 WSPR software with no change.

checked my sound card drivers, Mr William Gates tells me i have the latest drivers and they are working..
Got cranky, deleted the drivers anyway, restarted my laptop. upon start up it detected the missing drivers and went and found them and installed them for me again.
Fired up WSPR 2.12, Decoded a couple stations fine, set it to TX. keys up and does its thing. i wait patiently to see what happens next...

It stops transmitting... and starts receiving again!!!! just like its meant to.

Im happy to have won this battle, many thanks to those who passed on suggestions.

Now it just seems as though WSPRnet.org site is down. :(

Jono
VK6DF