VKCC Hijack of the Trans Tasman Contest

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

VKCC Hijack of the Trans Tasman Contest

Post by VK2AAH »

I regret that I have to express my disappointment that the VKCC group have taken over the running of the Trans Tasman contest. They have just announced a major change to the rules for this contest that takes away the traditional spirit of the contest and in my view turned it into a contest aimed purely at the big contest groups. It is now a 3 band in one night, 2 night a year (I have no idea why you would repeat the same contest twice each year), high power to QRP (pity the poor QRP station on 160m trying to be heard through the crud of the kilowatt'ers), and prefix multiplier based to favor the stations that are set up for multiband and multimode.

The Trans Tasman has been a great contest for those of us who enjoy the competition and challenge, but also enjoy the cameraderie- some of us have got to become friends through the lighthearted exchanges that have taken place during this contest.

I hope the VKCC group feel good about what they have done...

There is now a need to re-establish a single band, single mode contest for 80 and 160 that gives the modest individual stations a chance. Rather than contracting this out to a group like VKCC, the WIA should be trying to foster this much along the lines of the Harry Angel Sprint.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: VKCC Hijack of the Trans Tasman Contest

Post by VK3ALB »

I'm surprised and disappointed in the intended changes to the VK/ZL contest.

I think this statement taken from the VKCC website says it all.

"There will be no single mode or band category – We are trying to encourage all contesters to use multi modes/bands."

There are many contests on offer where the serious contester can get stuck in and run multi or multi multi and make the huge scores. The VK/ZL is fundamentally different from those contests and you can hear it by tuning around on 80m. There are people having fun, stopping for a chat yet if they want to have a red hot go they can still make it into the results.

QRP stations are sought out and considerable effort is made by many ops to make sure that those contacts are completed. You can sense that as well as getting on with the contest all entrants work to ensure that as many contact as possible are completed regardless of how long it takes. There is a definite spirit of camaraderie in the VK/ZL contest that you don't hear in any other HF contest. It would be a shame to lose that.

I estimate based on what I have heard on the bands that for every ham that can adjust/use a high power amp there's at least one who just doesn't get it. Last night I listened to a full call east of me who was at least 20kHz wide (I got tired of spinning the dial). In the second half of the contest you get operators working at 5kHz intervals or less and it's hard to find a clear spot from 3550 to 3650. You only need a couple of those guys screaming into their microphones on 80m to ruin it for every one.

While we may have voted for this (I sure didn't) I think the results of the poll will have unintended consequences.

I think there are few entry level contests in our region that allow the little guy or group to have a little fun on air without breaking the bank or mounting a full scale attack. Not everyone has multi band multi op capability. The proposal makes a significant and fundamental change to one of the truly enjoyable events on the Australian HF contest calendar.

Hopefully this decision isn't set in stone.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK2AAH wrote:and in my view turned it into a contest aimed purely at the big contest groups.
That should favor VK4KW quite nicely, so no problem. :lol:

VK2AAH wrote:(I have no idea why you would repeat the same contest twice each year)
Like the VHF/UHF Field Day that has been mindlessly repeated not just twice, but three times a year?

Two years ago, during the VHF/UHF Field day contest s**t fight (that could have been avoided if it weren't for stubborn OMs), it was suggested this would be a great opportunity to introduce some variety in the VHF/UHF Field Day contest line up.
VK4GHZ wrote:And why do the Winter, Spring and Summer "Field Days" all have to have same set of rules?
This is a great opportunity to have different contests that appeal to differing interests... without actually adding more contests.
Full post and source of quote here
Contest Manager acknowledged and wrote:Regarding Adam's suggestion, I think it is certainly worth considering the idea of a different emphasis in the three events. Maybe one emphasising microwaves, one emphasising the lower bands, and one all-band.
Full post and source of quote here

Nothing more than lip service at the time, and the rest is history.
A missed opportunity to attract and introduce new participants to VHF contesting.

What's the point of this ramble, old man? :om:
Contest Managers ignore their audience, at their own peril.

And it looks like the WIA has set a precedent to promote non-WIA contests on the WIA's own web site:
click for full-size
click for full-size
The average Joe low-bander (99% of operators?) can always start up another low-bands contest.
Just like how the VHF/UHF Field Day shamozzle unfolded - the majority got what they wanted in the end, thanks to the determination of VK5DK.

}:[
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

In this case I think that Trent has taken over a contest which isn't his style- he likes the mega international contests and is using this opportunity to remodel this contest in their image. I'm not going to bag Trent for having a go- he takes on jobs that others will not do- but he should respect the fact that there are a range of motivations among contesters and not everyone is driven only by racking up points in the millions. To many of us a contest like this is a challenge of coming up with a strategy that not just achieves the most contacts, but also the best possible coverage of Australia and New Zealand. That point has been totally lost in the new rules- 1 point for every contact regardless of whether they are down the road or across the continent. Now that should really encourage the VK6s... NOT! Yes there still is an incentive to work prefixes- but they can all be on 40 where that is fairly easy.

But I have to agree- I hold little hope that the contest manager will listen. I've not sensed that is his strong point...

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

I have been thinking about this when i was out riding today.

I agree with all the points made re the TT and the VHF contests.

Given that the WIA has a rather flat management structure, it seems to me that the points made here should be put directly to the President and the board.

Glenn
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

IIRC the Trans Tasman has always been an independently - run contest, with the WIA broadcast, website and magazine only providing coverage as a courtesy.

Hence the WIA president and board may not be the right people to approach to suggest changes to a contest they do not run.

On the other hand, with the Trans Tasman's change of emphasis, there may be a case for something to replace the 'lower tier' contests we had in the '80s - eg the VK Novice Contest, HF sprints and some of the state contests.

Of these Jack Files is the only survivor, with Harry Angel a more recent addition. Even more recent is MWRS' Flagpole Day.

If any more are required they could be single band only, maximum 2-3 hours, 10 and 100 watt sections, and simple scoring.

The sticking point is who will do the work in managing any extra contests. It doesn't have to be the WIA - a club could also do it with promotion through the broadcast, magazine and online similar to the Trans Tasman now.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

"Like" us on Facebook for EXCLUSIVE contests!

Post by VK3ZAZ »

You look at who the members are
then who the achievers were
Its a non event bit like the Ross Hull these days.
it would seem it is purely for self interest.
It only matters to a select SIG
:om:

http://jakerajs.photoshelter.com/image/I00001.FahwGiwrk
Tread your own path :om:
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Hi Guys,

I have been off VK Logger for some time and today dropped by to see what the latest round of inaccuracies was being foisted upon the AR community.

In each of the stages of the thread there are errors - so starting at the top..

VK4TS not VKCC is managing the Trans Tasman

Great idea to introduce another contest - Be my guest Richard.

There are multiple modes and there is only one night

It wont favour VK4KW because we have no antennae set up for local Contests....

The WIA has for around a decade had non WIA contests on the WebSite - nothing new there - damned if they do and damned if they don't......

You can complain to the WIA board - but I don't think it will have any affect - Not unless there is money involved :-)

The Jack Files is not a survivor - it turned its toes up three years ago - or whenever it was that Ipswich stopped being involved.

Thanks for the feedback Steve and also for the snippet that made me look at VK Logger again... (if anyone can translate what Steve is saying please forward)

Cheers all

New Rules Posted, Feed back noted :beer:

**** As a side note - all entrants were invited to a survey, the results of which were used to formulate the new contest format. Some peoples opinions were different to the majority and they have posted their displeasure here. ****
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Well no Trent, I'm not letting you off that lightly.

You keep repeating the same BS:

**** As a side note - all entrants were invited to a survey, the results of which were used to formulate the new contest format. Some peoples opinions were different to the majority and they have posted their displeasure here. ****

Were they? No, they were not. Most weren't even aware of your survey which was open for an extremely short time. Wasn't it TWO WEEKS Trent? So you notified those entrants for whom you had email addresses about the proposed changes, and gave those people less than 2 weeks to respond to a contest some 9 months into the future.

Well done Trent... that is rigging an outcome on a grand scale.

The sad thing is that you have the audacity to call this a low band contest when to be competitive a station needs to operate on more than one band. You changed the whole character of the contest by adding 40m to the mix... yet in all the categories available there is none for "Single Band" which was what the old TT contest was. Instead of having a different night for 80 (phone) and 160 (phone) we now have a single night for 160, 80 and 40.

You like to dismiss my disagreement as sour grapes Trent. That is your problem. Believe me my opinion on this is far from being alone.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Richard

Thank you for your amazing insight - For your information Low Band is the generic term for 160 80 and 40m eg http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php - You are probably thinking of Top Band a term often used for 160M. The contest is now termed "Trans Tasman Low Bands Challenge"

The survey was done - which is something that is not a norm - There were 57 respondents, considering there is only around 50 logs in both sections of the Trans Tasman, if you don't think that is a fair representation for a survey.......what in the world is ?

For those unaware the results are at : -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-WS5NDCV7/

You are giving an opinion from your perspective without the insight that was gleaned as the manager of the contest.

Many asked for changes - the old rules were disjointed and it is obvious you don't realise what the old format was...

One night was 80M SSB only

One night was 160 SSB Digital CW and 80M CW and Digital

First change was to introduce High Power - several called for higher power but that would disadvantage Standard and F calls - so three categories are now available High Power, 100 w and QRP

Second change was to add in 40M - the VK6's longed to be part of the contest and the start time was too early in the evening for them - The solution was to add in 40M to allow them access to some ZL propagation.

The third change was to change from prefix blocks to total prefixes - the difference allows standard scoring software to adjudicate the contest.

Another major change was to NOT allow contacts outside VK and ZL Why ? Big contest stations can mop up under the old rules - As you mentioned a contest station - we could have sat all night working into the USA on 160 and 80 and mopping up but that is not in the spirit - so rather than allowing it, the rules now preclude it........Simples.

There is one loophole for club stations under the new rules but I doubt anyone will pickup on it :crazy:

To change from two nights to one was simple - its easier to manage we originally went with two to continue what was done in the past but two identical contests seemed a waste of air time.

You will need all sorts of new skills like - How do I change bands ? The new format will stop the power stations parking because after they have mopped up a band they will need to either change modes or bands to keep going - that is the reasoning behind the 2 hour repeat is to encourage multi mode multi band activity however......

You will notice that there are increased categories and a change to awards - the change is :

"Each category will have High Scores for SSB, CW and Digital awards.

Any station in Single or Multi Op may win the Single Mode awards – BUT Multi-ops will not be eligible for single op categories.

NOTE: The Mode scores are purely on the highest score and may be from a partial log. You do not enter SSB only – rather the log is determined as having the highest SSB score."

So if a multi op station wished to only operate SSB - they will be in the running for SSB High Score and the multi op category.

ONE EXTRA - The contest will be open shared logs - all logs will be on a common website and claimed scores will be posted as soon as the log is submitted, this is the same as used in the CW Sprints in the USA and we are in fact sharing the same format thanks to Bruce WA7BNM.

http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/nasprintcw_cab.php

Hope this has not confused anyone }:[
Trent VK4TS
VK6TV

Post by VK6TV »

Hi All

At first I was taken back by the changes and didn't realise there was a survey for this contest. After looking at the changes I can see some positive changes from my perspective in VK6.MY MAIN COMPLAINT WAS I WOULD LIKE TO RUN 400 WATTS SSB SO YOU ALL COULD HEAR ME.

I understand Richard VK2AAH comments about not having the bonus points especially as being a VK6, but would have to say I never did feel targeted for extra points, on the contrary my signal was too low earlier on in the contest and activity seemed to drop off when conditions on 80m improved.

As I have tried both the 80m and 160m VK tasman contest in the past and would like to comment from my own experiences.

0800 to 1000UTC (local time 1600 - 1800 ) 80/160 not workable outside VK6 (little support for contest within VK6) so not much activity :yawn:

1000 to 1200UTC (local time 1800 - 2000 ) 80 meters east of VK6 contacts started to be made but difficult/ noisy conditions. Constantly calling a station who answers my call only after all the closer to home 5/9 contacts have been exhausted. i.e stand in line at the end }:[

1200 to 1400UTC (local time 2000 - 2200 ) 80 meters much better but my 5X5 still getting walked over by the 5X9 more closer stations VK1,2,3,5. Noticing less stations active now that I can be heard(some stations gone to bed?) :cry:
160 m starting to hear VK5 stations and further east but too much noise , start to call some stations but little replies back.

Conclusion: from a VK6 perspective

The inclusion of 40 meters would be beneficial , at least would have someone to speak too in the first 2 hours
Full legal limit power is very helpful - especially on 80m to be heard better and too give 160 m ago again.

Cheers

Milan
VK6KTV
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Hijack of the Trans Tasman Contest.....

Post by VK4TS »

Hi Milan

The email with the invite was sent to those who participated last year - some people don't do surveys, some do... I have the email addresses of the majority of entrants via the log entries as there is no paper logs accepted.

I did not see your call sign among the competitors so that would be why you didn't hear of it.

It was used as a guide to formulate rules along the lines of what people (except Richard and Lou ) wanted.

The requests for higher power did indeed come from ZL and VK6 in the main however once it was put to a vote the majority agreed.
Trent VK4TS
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

The only problem with allowing 400W, particularly on 80m is that the poor old F calls and QRP stations may as well go and watch a movie because the crud that the high power stations will generate will bring an end to their chances of being heard. After last year's 160m phone night when one station in particular splattered a big chunk of the available band I fear that such lid like operations will be the norm. The good thing is that now the July night has been scrapped I will not be around to hear the noise... mind you, it may be heard as far as Dayton...

Cheers

Richard
VK2JDH

Re: Hijack of the Trans Tasman Contest.....

Post by VK2JDH »

VK4TS wrote:The email with the invite was sent to those who participated last year -.

Does that not limit the scope? Surely the aim would be to increase participation in the TT, so you would need to target those who do not participate to find out why?
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Allowing the use of legal power will result in a couple of or good things things , some will participate as opposed to last year when they didn't , and a limited number will run power with the expectastion that the amps not be driven hard for a high degree of clarity , oh and the third thing will be perhaps some baseless comaplaints ?
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK4TI wrote: oh and the third thing will be perhaps some baseless comaplaints ?
QRO will help drown those out :lol:

Can't keep everybody happy all of the time. Although some people are intent on being happy none of the time it seems. If somebody is splattering over 20kHz of spectrum then report them to ACMA, clearly they are not operating their station according to the LCD.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Trans Tasman Low Bands Challenge

Prepared by VK4TS and VK4SN

Last amendment 6th February 2015

1. Contest Introduction

This contest is to encourage Low Band Activity in Australia and New Zealand – The applicable bands are 160, 80 and 40M. The modes are SSB CW and Digital (RTTY and PSK only)

2. Objective

Amateurs in VK and ZL will endeavour to contact other amateurs in VK and ZL.

* VK and ZL, means any station operating within Australia or New Zealand and their external territories.

* Points are only awarded for valid contacts between VK and ZL stations.

The contest is made up of 3 individual two hour sessions – you are able to work another station once per band and mode in every session. Every different Prefix used by VK or ZL stations is a valid multiplier and credit can be claimed once per band per session.

3. Contest Date & Time

The contest is held on the Saturday night of the third full weekend of July Start Time is 08:00 UTC and finish time is 14:00 UTC

4. Categories

A. Single Operator – High Power All Modes All Bands
B. Single Operator – Low Power (100 watts)
C. Single Operator – QRP
E. Multi-Operator – Single Transmitter
F. Multi-Operator – Multi Transmitter (One per band)

* QRP stations are limited to 5 Watts average (CW/RTTY/PSK) or PEP (SSB) at the transmitter output.

Each category will have High Scores for SSB, CW and Digital awards.

Any station in Single or Multi Op may win the Single Mode awards - BUT Multi ops will not be eligible for single op categories.

NOTE: The Mode scores are purely on the highest score and may be from a partial log. You do not enter SSB only - rather the log is determined as having the highest SSB score.

5. Permitted Bands

Contacts may be made on 160M 80M 40M in SSB, CW and Digital (PSK and RTTY Modes)

NB. PSK and RTTY are the only allowed digital modes and are combined, not counted separately.

6. Multi-operator Stations

A. Multi-operator single transmitter stations are only allowed one transmitted signal on air at any time.
If you are using three transceivers to scan the bands, simultaneous transmission will reclassify you as
Multi Transmitter(Category F.) – your responsibility to stop multiple transmitters operating.

B. Multi-operator Multi Transmitter stations
a. Are only allowed maximum one transmitted signal per band,
b. Simultaneous transmissions on different bands are permitted.
* Multi-operator stations are mixed mode only.

7. Contacts

A. Suggested Call: “CQ TT”, “CQ Contest”, or “CQ Test”

B. Exchange: A valid exchange consists of RS(T) followed by a three figure serial number starting at 001 for each band.

C. No cross band contacts are allowed.

D. Exchange of contact information via satellites, telephones, repeaters, Echolink, IRLP, or the internet is not in the spirit of the contest and is banned.

8. Scoring

All contacts are worth one point – Add the number of contacts made in the two hours and multiply by the different prefixes worked on each band in that two hours.

NB external territories count as one prefix - eg VK0 counts as VK0 and not the separate DXCC same as for VK9

e.g. 160 80 40 total contacts 50 X 35prefixes (total of each band added) = 1750 points per hour

Final Score is the addition of each two Hour 3 two hour blocks starting at 08:00

9. Logs

Logs are due in within one week of closure of the contest.
Trent VK4TS
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK2AVR wrote:If somebody is splattering over 20kHz of spectrum then report them to ACMA, clearly they are not operating their station according to the LCD.
We can't even get the ACMA to look into pager interface ever since the installation of several new pagers out in the country. I can't see them looking into a station not operating according to the LCD.

Just by making the allowance for high power for those ZL & VK6 stations I think 160m should be scrapped so that Foundation & Standard operators don't feel left out.

I submitted a log last year for one of the Trans Tasman contests on behalf of a club station and never got a email about a survey.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

VK3MIX wrote: I submitted a log last year for one of the Trans Tasman contests on behalf of a club station and never got a email about a survey.
You listed your email as info@warg.com.au and did not respond to the survey -

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink..
Trent VK4TS