AIS Marine Tracking Bight path openings

AIS specific discussion
VK2KRR

Re: AIS Marine Tracking Bight path openings

Post by VK2KRR »

Thanks Rob. Looks like the distances are starting to pick up in VK6 again.
Do you know what the Marine Traffic station number is for the station ?

Also paths to the north or west you can post on this page viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10997

Anything across the Bight on this current page of course.
VK6LD
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6LD »

Hi Leigh.

It is station 649. I wasn't sure which thread to use. Too many to choose from! :)

Cheers,

Rob.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Thanks Rob, I've saved the link to 649 stats page. Is this station based at your QTH ? What is the receiver and antenna its using ?

Have you noticed there is now a station at Cape Naturaliste ? http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

Also Denham Shark Bay ? http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... on_id=1826
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Marine tracking spots from morning opening 03.11.13
VK5RBV
VK5RBV
VK5AKK
VK5AKK
VK2KRR
VK2KRR
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I quickly got outta bed this morning when I checked the DX maps page early and saw this -
162 MHz Marine Tracking Opening VK2KRR
162 MHz Marine Tracking Opening VK2KRR
Best distance just about bang on 2000 km. Going no further due to the low pressure trough line running south from Esperance.
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

This is a post, to test the email notifications for subscribed threads.

Leigh?
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Admin,
No, still got no email notification for some reason.
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

Hello Leigh,

Great stuff tracking all the ships to see the ducting, maybe something else is going on to get the AIS signals from "around the corner" in WA.

To this end I was thinking about what could possibly get the signals that are being seen to do a turn from East West to North South.

It then occurred to me that a reflector in the right place such as Bluff Knoll which is big enough, has an orientation that looks interesting that could provide the missing link.
The North face of Bluff Knoll is almost vertical and is very large so, maybe.....

This type of reflection has been seen before on other paths.

Thoughts????

regards,

Andrew
VK3OE.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your thought on this, but I did find out whats going on over in VK6. There appears to be a (or a series) of repeater stations, repeating the NW VK6 signals down to the south.
Please see this thread titled AIS Marine Tracking Repeaters http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 47&t=12077
I've got info part way down the page where I discovered the repeater station which is providing all the signals from up north. Pain in the a r s e.

As you will see, I also found that the site Marine Traffic, shows all signals and you cant tell which are repeater and which are direct.

The only way to work it out is by using DX Maps AIS Aggregator program and DX maps AIS list. This is also explained in the thread. Its very easy to work out whats direct and whats repeated using this. Anything listed on the DX Maps pages are direct signals. http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan ... &HF=N&GL=N
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

Hello Leigh,

Thanks.

Andrew.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

A snap shot of some of the distances heard here this morning on 162 MHz Marine tracking. This was mostly really early morning, well before sun up.
Still yet to break the elusive 3000 km tropo barrier.
Marine Tracking early morn 04.02.15
Marine Tracking early morn 04.02.15
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

You will all be pleased to know that there is an international move to assign AIS repeaters a different MMSI (ID number) format.

Not sure yet when this will take effect.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Probably really doesnt make any difference I dont think, as we can already tell if a signal has been repeated. And most of the repeaters are usually base stations like at lighthouses.
I guess it would make it slightly easier to identify the repeater itself, but I can usually work it out using the DX maps software if needed.

Keep in mind that only DIRECT, non repeated signals are displayed on the DX Maps listing that I posted, and onto the software used on the PC.
Thats why I dont use the Marine Traffic site any longer as they allow anything to show up, repeated or not.