Robust Packet

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Robust Packet

Post by VK2HRX »

Hi Brains trust,

Does anyone have any experience with the SCS Robust Packet capability? http://www.scs-ptc.com/news/new-tracker ... er-dsp-tnc

I'm looking at putting in HF APRS to to my Land Cruiser and am wondering if it has any significant advantages over say a TT4.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2XSO

Re: Robust Packet

Post by VK2XSO »

At 259 euros. I think I'll give it a miss.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2XSO wrote:At 259 euros. I think I'll give it a miss.
Yes but if it is as good as it claims to be then it is cheap. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and can report on it. If it is a shorter packet then that would have to be a good thing for HF I would have thought.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

For APRS on a 'cruiser it looks pretty good, but wouldn't there need to be matched Rx stations around the place for it to be useful?

A Robust Packet HF gateway in Bulgaria probably wouldn't work that well if you were mobile in the Simpson.

I'd be very interested to know how it goes, but stumping up the necessary probably isn't going to happen unless there is a local ozzie network.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK5ZLR wrote:For APRS on a 'cruiser it looks pretty good, but wouldn't there need to be matched Rx stations around the place for it to be useful?

A Robust Packet HF gateway in Bulgaria probably wouldn't work that well if you were mobile in the Simpson.

I'd be very interested to know how it goes, but stumping up the necessary probably isn't going to happen unless there is a local ozzie network.
It works on the existing HF APRS network. Its claimed benefit is the way it sends its packet. There is one mobile VK2 station using it and it does get gated by the exisitng HF gatweays in Australia.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney