Tower stacking hf and higher band yagi's

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Tower stacking hf and higher band yagi's

Post by VK3MEG »

HI I run a large hf yagi a TET 5-3 as my dx chasing is quieting down 206 countries last year thats plenty :) and my interests are moving up I'm wondering about interaction issues my tower stack at the moment is from the bottom 2m 9 elements 700mm hf yagi long boom 5 elements 1.3 m 2 ele 6m yagi.
I'm thinking of pulling one element of big hf yagi it will still have 4 :) but boom wont need support ropes etc weight will drop from 18kgs to 15kgs. and lowering it to the position of the 2m yagi then 800mm-1m 2m yagi then 6m yagi 2 element till license upgrade then small 14 element 70cm yagi. if I upgrade i'll fit a 4- 5 element 6m antenna above hf yagi. rotator height is 9.5 -10m .
I have read that 6m yagi are sensitive to other antenna's around them would I be better to have 6m yagi on separate tower @ 7-8m than to be @ 12m with other antennas.

thanks
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Re: Tower stacking hf and higher band yagi's

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Steve, I run a hexbeam 2.4M above my 6 meter yagi and have noticed no adverse effects from the hexbeam. The pattern on the 7el yagi is excellent and it worked into Africa long path earlier this year so its going OK. The preferable way would to have the 6M yagi above the HF beam but because of the shape of the hexbeam that wasnt possible.
cheers Wayne VK4WTN
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Steve

During the previous sunspot cycle I had my 7 el 6m yagi only 2m above a triband HF yagi (and 2m and 70cm yagis above the 6m one). I worked 58 countries including a lot of EU, and long-path into Sth America on 6m using only 100w so the HF yagi did not have much of an effect on the efficiency of the 6m beam.

In the more distant past I had a 5el 6m yagi sharing the same boom as a triband HF Yagi both antennas worked OK.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2WDD
Forum Novice

Post by VK2WDD »

Just a further thought that may help.
My 6 band broadband hexbeam has a 6m element, and apart from cw I seem to work my share on 6m.
As for height of antenna, I have heard it said that height ceases to be important over 10m.
The day I put mine together it sat overnight on 2 wooden field bins at height of 5 feet (170 cm) and I was delighted to work Europe with 100W on 20m that evening.
The antenna has a small and balanced wind profile. I remain a happy user.
Further details of the designer and supplier are on my qrz page.

73 from Geoff, VK2WDD
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

G'day Steve,

Been posted before, and it's a good read - http://www.kcvhfgridbandits.com/linked/ ... gyagis.pdf

Cheers

Jayson
VK1JA