2014 Spring VHF/UHF Field Day : 22/23 Nov

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

2014 Spring VHF/UHF Field Day : 22/23 Nov

Post by VK4ADC »

You only have two weeks to be ready so start your preparations for the Spring FD now.

We need lots of operators to make the activity "busy" so even if you aren't going to be available for the whole 24 hours, operate at least in the 8 hour section, portable or mobile or home station - and the important thing is to submit your log. Download VKCL logging software ( http://www.mnds.com.au/vkcl/ ) to make it easier to do that last bit.

Finally, don't forget to update your /P profile on VKLogger so that we can have correct bearing information to point our yagis and dishes towards you. You will need to find out your grid square in 6 character format before you do, and remember to take that detail along when you go out portable.
Try the freely available web mapping option to check your details : http://qthlocator.free.fr/

Start time is usually about 0000 UTC or 0100 UTC on the Saturday and runs for a full 24 hours. To be confirmed when the rules are made available...

----------------- From the WIA web site ---------

The VHF-UHF Field Days provide VHF-UHF operators with the opportunity to "head for the hills" and see how far they can work.
The Field Days have separate sections for single and multiple operator stations. The duration of the Field Day is 24 hours, but there are also 8 hour sections for operators who may not be able to camp overnight. Most club stations prefer to operate for the full 24 hours.
The Field Days also generate plenty of activity from home stations, so there is also a separate Home Station section.
All contacts must be simplex: contacts through repeaters or satellites are not allowed. There is plenty of FM activity, but one feature of the Field Days is a high level of SSB activity.
It is possible to do very well with only modest antennas if you pick a good hilltop. Another option, if your station is easily transportable, is to operate from more than one location during the contest period.

Aim Of The Contest

The overriding aim is to get away for the weekend and have fun! But next after that, the aims are:
to encourage more activity on VHF and microwave bands;
to encourage people to work greater distances than usual by operating portable, and
to provide opportunities for people to activate or work into new grid squares.

In 2014 the WIA Board decided that the Field Day should have two alternative sets of rules:
Division 1 - Grid Locator scoring
Division 2 - Distance based scoring

The actual Spring FD rules are not yet on the WIA web site ( http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/ ) as at today, 7th November, but I am guessing they will be essentially the same rules as for the 2014 Winter FD - which are no longer there either - but hopefully someone in the WIA Contest area will fix up those issues in the next few days.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: 2014 Spring VHF/UHF Field Day : 22/23 Nov

Post by VK3ALB »

As always, VK3ALB and friends will be at our favorite camping location with new ideas and equipment to try out and we will be looking forward to working all our same old friends and like minded microwave operators. The challenge for us - beat our previous score, improve our station and have a whole lot of fun doing it.

QF11VS QTH R
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Our two-man station VK3KQ/P is ready for action!

Damian and I have been hard at work since the Winter FD preparing our kit. In fact, we went out last weekend for a "pre-field day" field day (if that makes sense) - just to check propagation from a new location, 100km+ West of Melbourne in QF12 (and to mow the grass). And like Lou, we are eager to renew our acquaintances with as many as possible on air.

Our precise portable location will be decided the day before the event. We have two sites prepared and our final selection will be based on weather, in particular Wind and Temperature. However, we have specifically selected sites that maximise signal coverage towards VK5. So if you are a VK5 station and are reading this post, please please please point your antennas to the East and give VK3KQ a call :D .

Good luck in the contest!

Cheers,

Ralph VK3LL (50/144/432MHz operator)
Damian VK3KQ (1.2/3/5/10GHz operator)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3LL wrote:Our two-man station VK3KQ/P is ready for action!
HI Ralph,

I hear someone is pushing for the rules to be changed so photos of certain field day activities are banned. :lol:

Look forward to hearing you blokes on the field day.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

Hey Lou,
All is readiness for blockbuster weekend. We have ben busy, busy ,busy. Control box better play ball this time or I may have to bring a 12lb screwdriver into action. }:[
Looking forward to working you guys. Especially in the evenings. :beer:
P.S.My camera has never been the same

Cheers Damian
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Bump......, just to keep the topic active :D
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Encouraging newbies

From the WIA VHF-UHF Field Days website:
There have been many suggestions made about encouraging newly-licensed hams to join in the VHF-UHF Field Days, particularly Foundation licensees.

Take an F-call out in the field with you. Invite an F-call to your home QTH for a few hours of the contest. The same goes for any newly-licensed ham. Get them involved and mentor them through the process of making contest contacts. Pretty soon, the fun seeps through.
The same applies to people new to contesting. And don't forget those amateurs who have only recently returned to the hobby. 8)

The more the merrier ! :lol:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

VK3UHF will be on their usual hill, QF21CU (Q-F-2-1-Carlton & United :beer: ). Same old team, doing the same old thing, from the same old place......with newly-developed gear!!! We used the winter down time fruitfully to improve our microwave equipment, mainly from the operating convenience and deployment perspective. Pictures will be posted after the event (if successful....... :D ).

Anyhow....you'll find us on all bands 50MHz through to 47GHz. We will have the Logger in action, and failing that, you can phone me on 0458 994 495 if you want to set up a contact.

Confirmed operators are:

6m: Ken VK3NW/AKK
2m - 9cm: Arie VK3AMZ (who will be very busy, but takes it in his stride)
6cm - tiny little waves: VK3QM & VK3PY

Of course, some mixin'n'matchin' of duties will occur while aging bladders etc. are attended to.

Hopefully we won't be visited by tornados this year!

Chas
VK3PY

tornados - tornadoes - potatos - tomatoes - :? Who invented this impenetrable language?
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

POOR OLD ARIE!

Clearly the rest of the 3UHF team are slave drivers!

Good luck and (hopefully) the weather will be better than this time last year.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

No Pete,

Arie will be fine. He's a machine when you put him in front of a radio.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Lou,

That's not what Arie told me at Ballarat!

We intend calling him on 2, 70, 1.2, 2.4 and 3.4 all at the same time. That should fix him up!

Cheers and good luck!

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK3PY wrote:tornados - tornadoes - potatos - tomatoes - :? Who invented this impenetrable language?
I've just Googled it, and apparently it was Leonardo da Vinci.

Perhaps that's why the Mona Lisa is smirking.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3YFL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3YFL »

I plan to be out for portable operation on Saturday afternoon only, however I'm uncertain whether to go to my 'usual' spot at Kinglake NP or try Mt Donna Buang for a change. The later has some logistical advantage, but with the car park surrounded by trees it may not be a conducive for contacts, particularly at 10GHz.

No new gear for this FD - just repairs to correct faults identified during the Winter FD and so will have 6m - 23cm plus 10GHz.

I'll advise of my chosen location just as soon as I decide, but as I don't want to clash with any other portable station, let me know if you've already decided to go to Mt Donna Buang.

Bryon
VK3YFL
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Bryon,

If you go to Donna Buang, the beam heading for us at McLaughlin's is 281 degrees and 128 kms distance. The path is line of sight.

We intend to have 50MHz through to 47GHz

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Hi Bryon,

VK3KQ/P will be almost due West from you at 269 degrees from Mt Donna Buang, and 169km - close to line-of-sight according to Radio Mobile Online, and certainly achievable on bands including 10G.

Damian and I look forward to saying hi to you again.

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

I don't think we'll need to point to you blokes. :o
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Lou,

Will you have 24 and 47 Ghz this time round?

I reckon we would have a good chance on both bands. Your bearing to us is 26 degrees, by the way.

Cheers
'
Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Peter,

Yes we'll have all bands to 47GHz available.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK5DK

Post by VK5DK »

Weather permitting the South East Radio Group will be portable on "The Bluff" just NW of Mt Gambier (QF02GG) & operational on all VHF/UHF/Microwave bands up to 24GHz, only 3.4GHz is not GPS locked all other bands are GPS locked.

Weather will determine hours of operation, but at this stage possibly 24hr section.

73 Colin VK5DK
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Great Colin,

You will have at least 5 stations to work in the west of VK3: 3UHF/p(326 Kms 100 degrees), 3ALB/p (283 kms 103 degrees), 3KQ/p (279 kms 91 degrees) , 3AXH/p (293 kms 89 degrees) and 3ER/p (325kms 86 degrees).

Hope to work you on as many bands as possible!

Weather is looking good, so far.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (VK3ER/p)