HF Dstar

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK3TOM

HF Dstar

Post by VK3TOM »

Just down loaded the latest band plan and still no HF bands marked ok for dstar,vk2ah, myself and others have had contacts within Australia on 40m and vk2ah has regular contacts to usa on 28.480 and i had one today. The only thing i noticed is this frequency in Australia and rest of world? Is in the middle of the sat band by the looks.

I still can't see the problem on HF yes it is FM but it is digital narrow band 6.25khz wide so the band width is narrow enough for the HF bands.

Other freq's i found on the internet today are within our bands
51180, 24938,21380,18148,14320,7285

Tom
VK4DU

Re: HF Dstar

Post by VK4DU »

Go your hardest...

Here is the relevant extract from the LCD:

Any emission mode with a necessary
bandwidth not exceeding 8 kHz:

1.800 MHz–1.875 MHz
3.500 MHz–3.700 MHz
3.776 MHz–3.800 MHz
7.000 MHz–7.300 MHz
10.100 MHz–10.150 MHz
14.000 MHz–14.350 MHz
18.068 MHz–18.168 MHz
21.000 MHz–21.450 MHz
24.890 MHz–24.990 MHz

Any emission mode with a necessary
bandwidth not exceeding 16 kHz
2 28.000 MHz–29.700 MHz

Glenn VK4DU
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

Who knows what the Dstar HF bandwidth is .....and who cares (I must confess I havn't even looked it up, lazy, slothful and uncaring individual that I am). :yawn:

But what is the long term future of a one-manufacturer proprietary system, it's an interesting flash in the pan thats about all.

Although I don't see why the emission mode should not be as wide as the band......1950s regulations for the 21st century }:[
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK4FSD

Post by VK4FSD »

Hi I am new to both the Dstar world and this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered already..

I believe there are some projects to create a Dstar compatible unit using items such as Raspberry Pi and alike, if this is the case do you have any links to where I can get hold of the information to make one.. could be wrong but hardware wise it should only need to add a couple of sound cards added to support it.. or am I way off track?

Regards
Peter Richens
Brisbane Australia
VK5RC

Post by VK5RC »

I recall a VK5 has done it for a laugh, I can't recall who, a quick Google has turned up this http://www.philipsburg-ara.org/d-star/h ... repeaters/
Have fun!
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK5ZLR wrote:Who knows what the Dstar HF bandwidth is .....and who cares (I must confess I havn't even looked it up, lazy, slothful and uncaring individual that I am). :yawn:

But what is the long term future of a one-manufacturer proprietary system, it's an interesting flash in the pan thats about all.

Although I don't see why the emission mode should not be as wide as the band......1950s regulations for the 21st century }:[
It never fails to amuse me how some people are so ignorant about the facts. DStar is not proprietry, its just that Icom are the only proactive manufacturer to pull finger and include the mode in a mass produced transciever. Do your research first. It reminds me of all those people getting around saying mankind is responsible for climate change, and that Australia's finances following the previous disastrous Labor government, are not in serious trouble. Sheesh! Its pretty easy to work out, but spreading mistruths is never right.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I should clarify that the only proprietary part of DStar is the AMBE Codec owned by Digital Voice Systems, Inc. Not owned by Icom. Anyone can buy and use the Codec chipset.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

I also play on dstar no real interest but curiosity mainly .
I have worked brian vk2ah on 40m and 10m. its not perfect but is an interesting mode.
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG