CQ Parrot...

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

CQ Parrot...

Post by VK2XV »

I am in the process of making a CQ parrot (voice keyer) for 2M SSB. I have it working under W7 Pro with C# and a simple GUI (product of an afternoon's programming). It will be used with an FT-847 (no VOX) so needs a PTT function provided by a serial port. I foresee no major technical problems with this.

I am making it for two reasons - as a project and to increase the frequency of my activity. However, being new to 2M SSB, I would like comments about this project...

1. What is the general opinion about CQ parrots ? (will people be upset by its use)
2. What is the attitude to using one on the calling frequencies ? (144.1 & 144.2)

Comments appreciated.

The way it would be used is to repeat a voice CQ at selectable intervals (from 30 seconds to 900 seconds). During this time the FT-847 would be monitored for responses via a set of wireless headphones (usually used for TV - but allows listening to a radio everywhere in this house* and a small distance outside). With this convenience comes a downside - it can take up 30 seconds to make it back to the FT847 when there is a response. Respondents would have to be patient enough and not tune off in the time.

* XYL has mostly adapted to seeing me wandering around the house with headphones on. The conversation went something like this...

Me: "I am a nerd - right?"
XYL: "No argument there"
Me: "I do nerdy things - right ?"
XYL: "Again no argument"
Me: "Would you prefer to hear white noise and buzzes throughout the house with a loudspeaker or have quiet and see me wearing headphones ?"
XYL: "Go with the headphones..."

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
North Richmond, NSW QF56ik
http://www.joataman.net
You are truly knowledgeable when you know what you don't know...
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Re: CQ Parrot...

Post by VK3YE »

VK2XV wrote: 1. What is the general opinion about CQ parrots ? (will people be upset by its use)
Great idea.

Just speak a bit slower and repeat your callsign more than some of the HF contest ones you hear.

Upsetting people isn't an issue; it's not as if the bottom end of 2m has a scarcity of quiet frequencies for others to tune!
2. What is the attitude to using one on the calling frequencies ? (144.1 & 144.2)
Not a problem 99% of the time.

But don't use it on an active frequency during a known high activity period (eg 144.2 during aircraft enhancement).

That lessens the risk of causing QRM to locals working stations you can't hear (common on 2m due
to differing locations, station capabilities and propagation).

During high activity times you really need to be right at the radio and in a position to listen intently
and call quickly to work often weak stations. Timing is critical and manual calling may give more control.

If you can't hear the AEP DX but still wish to raise contacts try calling a bit away from the active frequency eg
144.180 or 144.1 when 144.2 is active.

The optimum length of CQ calls varies according to band conditions and activity and you may wish to program
different lengths. Longer calls during quiet times and shorter when there's more activity.

Some samples of 2m SSB activity that reinforces the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbzveak-ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laQt-d6Xw3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOBxUYq8JM
With this convenience comes a downside - it can take up 30 seconds to make it back to the FT847 when there is a response. Respondents would have to be patient enough and not tune off in the time.
That could be a problem. Many would expect a faster response and assume you've been called away if you don't come back within a reasonable time.

Maybe better to run it only if you can respond quicker than that - maybe 5 or 10 seconds.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK3YE wrote:But don't use it on an active frequency during a known high activity period (eg 144.2 during aircraft enhancement).
I have no intention to use it during the morning AEP periods (i.e., 7:00am to 10:00am) as there is enough activity heard here to make a CQ parrot unnecessary. Rather I am thinking of using it during the rest of the day when there appears to nobody about. I had one contact yesterday at about 1pm local because I was wandering around the house doing other things with the wireless headphones on and heard a call - so there are people about at times outside the AEP time slot.
During high activity times you really need to be right at the radio and in a position to listen intently
and call quickly to work often weak stations. Timing is critical and manual calling may give more control.
Yes - see above...

While I said it might a delay of up to 30 seconds before I get to the FT847, most times it will be about 10 seconds. I take your point about 30 seconds being a bit too long - so I should not have it going when I am outside the house.

Thanks for commenting - much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Sounds like a fine initiative to me. Perhaps you could incorporate a few words to alert the unwary that the response might be delayed by up to half a minute. I also wonder if it were to be used some of the time on frequencies other than the designated "calling frequencies" whether it might help encourage a bit more tuning around? In any case, anything to help increase the use of a very valuable and lightly used resource (the 2m band) has got to be a very good thing. Once you get it working, you might consider publishing the details so more of us could emulate?
cheers Grant
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK3ZTE wrote:Perhaps you could incorporate a few words to alert the unwary that the response might be delayed by up to half a minute.
I thought of that but it might make it an unwieldy CQ. Assume (optimistically ?) there are 10 operators who leave their 2M SSB receivers on during the day. Out of those hopefully most have iChat running at some time - perhaps an announcement "voice keying on 144.xMHz - please be patient for a response" would be useful.
VK3ZTE wrote:I also wonder if it were to be used some of the time on frequencies other than the designated "calling frequencies" whether it might help encourage a bit more tuning around?
Mostly likely the imagined 10 operators would be listening to either 144.1 or 144.2 - the mix is unknown to me at this time. I personally have 144.1 and 144.2 in VFOa and VFOb respectively and switch between the two - I only occasionally tune between the two. I am not sure if there is much tuning around these days.
VK3ZTE wrote:Once you get it working, you might consider publishing the details so more of us could emulate?
I might describe it, but it might not be useful as I write my own apps which I never share as I have no appetite for maintenance issues with other parties.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK2XV wrote:
1. What is the general opinion about CQ parrots ? (will people be upset by its use)

Steve
They are a great throat saver, especially on HF during contests. I do have one minor peeve with their use, and that is when the voice transmitted by the recorder is totally different than the voice that answers you. I answered one stn in the recent CQWW contest and the voices were so totally different that I had to ask the operator if he was actually at the station I was calling.

John
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Just my opinion, but the thought of cq machines droning on (and on), on 144.100 or 144.200 within 500km of a major city or town is a very BAD idea. I could understand their use by a lone station out in the back blocks where there is NO chance of spoiling reception for others, but not otherwise.

Personally, unless there is some propagation event in progress, I rarely call/listen on call frequencies, preferring to monitor distant beacons for meteor pings/burns. If I want to work a particular station, I make a sked with that station on a NON call frequency, on vklogger. That keeps the call frequencies clear for others, and me, sane.

Another thing... Why would anybody want to talk to Alan Jones?

73, Adrian. VK4OX.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK2XV wrote:I am in the process of making a CQ parrot (voice keyer) for 2M SSB. I have it working under W7 Pro with C# and a simple GUI (product of an afternoon's programming). It will be used with an FT-847 (no VOX) so needs a PTT function provided by a serial port. I foresee no major technical problems with this.

I am making it for two reasons - as a project and to increase the frequency of my activity. However, being new to 2M SSB, I would like comments about this project...

Comments appreciated.

The way it would be used is to repeat a voice CQ at selectable intervals (from 30 seconds to 900 seconds). During this time the FT-847 would be monitored for responses via a set of wireless headphones (usually used for TV - but allows listening to a radio everywhere in this house* and a small distance outside). With this convenience comes a downside - it can take up 30 seconds to make it back to the FT847 when there is a response. Respondents would have to be patient enough and not tune off in the time.

* XYL has mostly adapted to seeing me wandering around the house with headphones on. The conversation went something like this...

Me: "I am a nerd - right?"
XYL: "No argument there"
Me: "I do nerdy things - right ?"
XYL: "Again no argument"
Me: "Would you prefer to hear white noise and buzzes throughout the house with a loudspeaker or have quiet and see me wearing headphones ?"
XYL: "Go with the headphones..."

Cheers

Steve
I use a voice keyer Steve and unless the repeat time is too frequent its not an issue. The problem with a lot of VHF guys is they all listen and dont call. No CQ calls no contacts mate. Do it.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK7XX wrote:I do have one minor peeve with their use, and that is when the voice transmitted by the recorder is totally different than the voice that answers you.
Good point - I'll check to make sure the 'parrot' sounds like the live 'me'.

Another consideration - and I am probably over-thinking this; I notice that often I cannot hear any voice signals, but can clearly hear the roger beep 'K's. This is nice as it means that there might be a station which is weak because it is off-beam and might be workable if I swing the beam. The problem is that it is almost impossible to get the beam on the nose using the occasional 'K's. If the 'K's are replaced with a station ID then the beam heading could be known a priori. The question is what form of station ID is useful plus what is allowed. Possible formats I have considered...

NOTE: This is referring to 2M SSB parroting - not general parrot use.

1. Full callsign - gives unambiguous ID but maybe too long ?
2. Assume 'VK'; e.g. in my case "2XV" - unambiguous but numerals are long.
3. Leave out the state designator; e.g. in my case "XV" - can be ambiguous, but with the small group of 2M SSB ops it should not be a common problem.

Comments ?

Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK4OX wrote:Just my opinion, but the thought of cq machines droning on (and on), on 144.100 or 144.200 within 500km of a major city or town is a very BAD idea.
Yes - this is my concern and is why I asked for opinions. Maybe we could agree on a parrot frequency - 144.205 or 144.105 ?
VK4OX wrote:Another thing... Why would anybody want to talk to Alan Jones?
:lol: My keyer just plays a WAV file - maybe I should tack on a few bars of "Gloria.." :lol:

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK2TS wrote:I use a voice keyer Steve and unless the repeat time is too frequent its not an issue. The problem with a lot of VHF guys is they all listen and dont call. No CQ calls no contacts mate. Do it.
Suggestions for repeat time ?

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

I don't think your CQ call would sound that bad if it ended in "...and listening from a distance"
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK3MIX wrote:I don't think your CQ call would sound that bad if it ended in "...and listening from a distance"
That's a thought - but it might cause some head scratching as to what it actually means...
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I use a MFJ Voice keyer on 2mx SSB and usually set it for once every 60 seconds. Of course one has to be at the radio at all times whilst the keyer is in auto mode and also remember to switch it off. The MFJ provides audio out of your calls so you know everytime it keys. I have made quite a few DX contacts using mine.

Regards
Tony
VK2TS
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

the other thing is a cw keyer is also good and carries further.
I agree re the lack of cq calls and I put a few out its interesting who comes back but may be do them on the top and bottom of the hour or the 1/4 hour for 2-3 mins .I work a lot fo 10m and call cq to the north west and get quite a few responses from the russians and ja's then we all know the band is open I also answer cq's post int he i chat when calling and freq it helps
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

I use a BX-184 insert for the MH-31 mic, it is brilliant. Saves the voice during contests.
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated.

73 SK

Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO