Elecraft KX3 - Australian supplier?

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK3ERW

Elecraft KX3 - Australian supplier?

Post by VK3ERW »

Does anyone know where I can buy an Elecraft KX3 in Australia?

I am aware of the US website but would prefer to buy from Oz supplier.

Thanks

Erwin
VK3ERW
VK5TM

Re: Elecraft KX3 - Australian supplier?

Post by VK5TM »

There isn't one.

Closest is Japan, so probably better off ordering direct from US.

Distributor info is on their Contact page, by the way.
VK3ERW

Post by VK3ERW »

Thanks for your reply Terry.
That is also my understanding.

However, I have heard a number of people, on air, mention that they bought a KX3 in Australia.
Maybe someone who has bought one in Oz can point me in the right direction.
VK1DJA
Forum Novice

Post by VK1DJA »

Erwin

As an Elecraft K3 user for a few years now, I don't believe there is an Australian distributor. There certainly is one in Japan and re-sellers in Europe.

Perhaps the KX3s that you heard about on the air were bought pre-loved.

Elecraft support by email is excellent- replies same day. I wouldn't expect that the absence of an Australian distributor would be a problem.

Dave VK1DJA
Dave
VK3PCW

Post by VK3PCW »

Scroll down the bottom of this page http://www.elecraft.com/how_to_contact_elecraft.htm and it shows their distributors.

I was going to buy an Elecraft sometime ago, you have to be careful of the customs threshold limit, think it is around $1000 from memory before you start having to pay import duties and taxes.
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

VK3PCW wrote:Scroll down the bottom of this page http://www.elecraft.com/how_to_contact_elecraft.htm and it shows their distributors.

I was going to buy an Elecraft sometime ago, you have to be careful of the customs threshold limit, think it is around $1000 from memory before you start having to pay import duties and taxes.
I bought mine as a kit. Basically I ordered the atu and other accessories as a separate from the KX3 itself. That way both arcels were less than the customs threshhold.
Did the same when ordering the KXPA100 and 100W atu.

Awesome customer support.

73 Mike VK6MB
VK3ERW

Post by VK3ERW »

Thanks Mike - good suggestion, but with our current exchange rate even the KX3 kit is over A$1000 :(
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3MEB wrote:Thanks Mike - good suggestion, but with our current exchange rate even the KX3 kit is over A$1000 :(
simply pick the day , and have them invoice under the limit on the day , or break the shipment up into several packages
GM3SEK

Post by GM3SEK »

VK4TI wrote:
VK3MEB wrote:Thanks Mike - good suggestion, but with our current exchange rate even the KX3 kit is over A$1000 :(
simply pick the day , and have them invoice under the limit on the day , or break the shipment up into several packages
From experience in the UK, I agree: order direct with Elecraft, and you'll be fine.

But Elecraft will not break up shipments or issue part-invoices for you - so don't even ask. If you want to break up an order, then you will have to place several separate orders, spaced several days apart to avoid overlap. Obviously there will also be multiple shipping charges.

If the KX3 'bare mainframe' still comes in above the A$1000 limit (and remember, that total has to include the shipping and insurance) then you will just have to bite the bullet. Fortunately you only have to do this once per rig.

73 from Ian GM3SEK
VK5APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5APN »

VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

[quote="GM3SEKIf the KX3 'bare mainframe' still comes in above the A$1000 limit (and remember, that total has to include the shipping and insurance) then you will just have to bite the bullet. Fortunately you only have to do this once per rig.

73 from Ian GM3SEK[/quote]

From the customs site:
"Duty is determined on the Customs value of the goods. The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted or exported."

The shipping etc is only added if the value of the goods is >$1000 and GST is charged on value of goods + shipping + insur + duty.
GM3SEK

Post by GM3SEK »

VK2JDH wrote:[quote="GM3SEKIf the KX3 'bare mainframe' still comes in above the A$1000 limit (and remember, that total has to include the shipping and insurance) then you will just have to bite the bullet. Fortunately you only have to do this once per rig.

73 from Ian GM3SEK
From the customs site:
"Duty is determined on the Customs value of the goods. The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted or exported."

The shipping etc is only added if the value of the goods is >$1000 and GST is charged on value of goods + shipping + insur + duty.[/quote]

I stand corrected - and lucky you in Australia, to have such a high threshold value and based only on the value of the goods. That makes it all the more reason to deal direct with Elecraft.

73 from Ian GM3SEK
VK3ERW

Post by VK3ERW »

Thanks very much to everyone for your handy tips.

Erwin

VK3ERW
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

GM3SEK wrote:I stand corrected - and lucky you in Australia, to have such a high threshold value and based only on the value of the goods. That makes it all the more reason to deal direct with Elecraft.

73 from Ian GM3SEK
Yes it slightly confusing !
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

FYI, a new video from W2AEW.

VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

Hi,
VK7RR has connections with Elecraft and will know where to get.
Brians details on QRZ.com,he lives at Maleny,nr Brisbane

cheers
Frank