Summits On The Air - Activiation Advice

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Re: Summits On The Air - Activiation Advice

Post by VK4BZ »

Activating Mt Kiangarow

Well, that was an experience!

Firstly, thanks to VK3YE for trying. I could hear you Peter, but for reasons which I will explain, couldn't get back to you. Thanks also to VK4FAAB, VK4DBJ, VK4MDZ, VK4IQ and VK1RX who all gave me reports and confirmed the activation. I also appreciate VK4FALL for letting me have a few words on the Coral Coast net.

The best laid plans of mice, men and hams let me down. I got up the hill, set up, called in to the Coral Coast net and then got ready to start. It did seem like nobody had bothered to tell the RTTY fraternity that there was a QRP station on the band and it was wall-to-wall S9+ RTTY from 7.000 to 7.100MHz. Methinks there was an international RTTY competition on! Not a good omen at all.

It was then that my coax PL259 plug decided there and then to give up the ghost. Yep, I had done all the dummy runs and tests and even used that antenna and coax from the campsite the previous evening; but it decided to play up...up on the mountain top. It was at this point I could hear 3YE, but with a high SWR and virtually no power out I was wasting my time. So, I jogged back down the track and brought up my back-up antenna. Instead of using my dipole, I was forced to use a 1/4 wave GP antenna on 40m, which consisted of my squid pole with a wire up the centre and two radials. Improvise, adapt and overcome! Thanks to "the Man up stairs" (who apparently approved my taking leave from church for the morning...) everything worked and I began to make contacts.

I am still not happy with the FT-817 and the power output, which still seems a bit low, and I didn't get to make any CW contacts...all SSB. Having said that, it was worth the exercise (both figuratively and literally).

If you want a good SOTA location, Mt Kiangarow is ideal. The drive to the Bunya Mts from Brisbane took about three hours; the campsite at Burtons Well is ideal, and the 1.1km stroll to the top is very easy. The operating position is great, complete with a handy sign to tie the squid pole to and a bench to sit on...oh, yes, and when the fog lifted, man what a view.

Keep and eye out for the YouTube video, and those who worked me will get a VK4BZ/P SOTA QSL card.

Any suggestions for another location...in VK4, of course!
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK4BZ - Mt Kiangarow SOTA Activation

Hi, it's John VK4BZ again.

Attached is the link for my YouTube video of the Mt Kiangarow activation. I hope it stirs your interest to get out and about on a mountain top somewhere! Oh, yeah, I'm open to feedback on the video as well - another first for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QnZHybu4Ng

I'm looking at doing an activation in Lamington National Park in the near future, so watch out for the SOTAwatch on that one.

Cheers!
Last edited by VK4BZ on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK4BZ wrote: I'm open to feedback on the video as well - another first for me.
Well done John - the video is first rate - hope you make many more.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK3YE wrote:Well done John - the video is first rate - hope you make many more.
Thanks, Peter.

I've started planning for my next venture to Mt Bithongabel (why can't they have easier names!) in the Lamington National Park, back of the Gold Coast. That will be some time before the end of the year, but not sure when.

Cheers!
John

VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

Activation of Mt Bithongabel - VK4/SW-005 Saturday morning 10 Jan 15, 0900h Kilo (ie Fri 09 Jan 15 at 2300h UTC)

Well, here I go again. I intend to activate Mt Bithongabel (in the area around south of Canungra - 153.170E & 28.262S) on Saturday morning...assuming the weather cooperates, and lately that could be pot luck! :crazy:

Expected frequencies are in 40m band: CW on 7.030+/- and SSB on 7.090 +/- and 20m band on 14.320+/- SSB. I'll go 40m SSB first, then try the other options. Sorry, VHF Field day ops, but I won't be doing anything higher in frequency...people would be suspicious if I was seen walking off down the track with aluminium washing lines tied to my back pack.

This time I will be using the "new" Elecraft KX3 and a magnetic loop antenna, so should be running 10 watts and getting out reasonably well. A couple of SLAB batteries at 6.5AH, so power won't be a problem.

Mt Bithongabel is worth 10 points for SOTA, so this will be a good one to tick off if you are chasing awards.
John

VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Hi John,

Will you be posting an Alert on the SOTAwatch site with the details? Most SOTA enthusiasts look at that site rather than here to find details of planned activations......
http://www.sotawatch.org/alerts.php

Good luck - I hope that propagation works down to Gippsland - I will be chasing if I can hear you.

Regards,

Peter VK3PF
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

Thanks, Peter. Most surely have!

I figure putting notices on the forum just broadens the range of viewers.

Catch you on Saturday morning...I hope!
John

VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

Mt Bithongabel Activation

Thanks to those who gave me a call...as I sat in the damp rainforest of the Border Ranges, fending off leeches and trying to keep the drips off the KX3. For those who go out on activations, there is a great appreciation for the "shack sloths" (ok..."chasers") who patiently chase us down.

At the end of my activation, I had made 10 contacts on 20m, all SSB - no answer on CW and 40m was dead.

Once again, thanks folks!
John

vk1da
Forum Diehard

Post by vk1da »

John,

I guess you were called by some who could not really call themselves "shack sloths". Not all chasers can do that. (It is an award given by SOTA to chasers achieving 1000 points or more.)

Hope others also integrated SOTA operations into their Field Day activity. Perhaps one day there will be enough for a separate category in the contest. All my HF contacts were made using battery power and the IC703 at 10w.
Andrew
vk1da/2uh

Andrew VK1DA VK2UH Yass
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK1DA wrote:Hope others also integrated SOTA operations into their Field Day activity. Perhaps one day there will be enough for a separate category in the contest. All my HF contacts were made using battery power and the IC703 at 10w.
Hi, Andrew.

Yes - I would really like to see that come on as a part of the field day contests, particularly the John Moyle. I did actually hook up the KX3 to one of our very high dipoles and worked a few on 5-10 watts myself, early on the John Moyle Sunday morning. If I don't get a good bite for the club (Redcliffe & Districts) station next year, I might go it alone on 10 watts and see how things work out. Can't be worse than this year's deluge and storms. Have a look at my Youtube video on our efforts this year! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON2TF7tTKuA

I am hoping to get up a mountain again in the near future - have one picked out, but just need free time on a weekend to do so.

73 and keep on SOTA-ing!
John