What prop mode is this ?

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

What prop mode is this ?

Post by VK2XV »

New to this so I have it all to learn...

While listening for AE signals on 2M SSB I have heard very loud snatches of transmissions (lasting for < 5 secs; i.e., about 1/2 doz words - no callsigns :cry: ).

I have only heard it twice in about 20 hours of listening.

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
North Richmond, NSW QF56ik
http://www.joataman.net
You are truly knowledgeable when you know what you don't know...
VK2KRR

Re: What prop mode is this ?

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Steve,

Its most probably meteor scatter bursts.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi Steve, welcome aboard.

From what you are reporting it does not sound like its ham related. If you are in a built up area you may be getting a mix of signals or intermod. Strong FM broadcast signals can mix with two way radio signals for example. Can you elaborate on the freq ? I have a ham close by that works 21.300 and it causes strange effects on the 6m band here.
You say you are hearing 5 secs of words, are you able to make out these words ??
If its serious enough you may like to upload a short video so we can hear the sound perhaps. Its like looking for a needle in a haystack without any solid info to go on.

Or M/S as suggested... :D Try tuning to a good beacon and having the beam nulled in that direction, you should hear pings every so often from it. Aircraft also can bounce signals back to you too.

Cheers,
Mark
ZL2WHO
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

Thanks Leigh and Mark,

Leigh: M/S - That seems logical as the first burst was about 8:45pm local and the second one was about 9:00am.

Mark: The first one I heard was definitely ham related as the words were ".. heard nothing on 6 metres..". The frequency was 144.200 MHz.

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2XV wrote:".. heard nothing on 6 metres..". The frequency was 144.200 MHz.

Cheers

Steve
Aircraft Enhancement on that freq and time?.
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

VK2JDH wrote:Aircraft Enhancement on that freq and time?.
Could be - but all the AE signals I have heard have a slow rise and decay over at least a minute. These were basically off-on-off - like a switch coming on momentarily (for a few seconds).

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2XV wrote:
Could be - but all the AE signals I have heard have a slow rise and decay over at least a minute. These were basically off-on-off - like a switch coming on momentarily (for a few seconds).

Cheers

Steve
AE happens ANY time there's a plane on a given path. Keep an eye on http://www.flightradar24.com to help you time your calls and improve your chances of making a contact.

Definitely sounds like MS from what you're describing. There's a bucketload of info on the web re MS.

Good luck with it.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XV »

Thanks Alan.

I have FR24 running (premium) and find Radarview very useful. I have created and uploaded my own wpt and out files which have AE paths (and midpoints) shown for various operators. As time permits I will change the simple mid-point markings with a highlight of the "active" segments of the paths for each operator. Requires working out the theoretical mutual LOS for myself and each op - colour coded for different flight altitudes. OTT maybe - but fun for me.

At the moment I have FR24 running at one end of the house with the shack at the other, plus an armstrong rotated antenna outside at the side of the house. Much running around trying to do all things. At least I feed the receive audio into a wireless headset (shanghaied from the TV) and that saves me ripping the lead out of the set - I have done that a few times over the years... :oops:

New to this and find AE very interesting...

Cheers

Steve
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Yes I agree with those before me
Most likely Meteor Scatter
This happens at all times of day and night not just pre-dawn
Kevin VK4UH

From I-phone
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane