Kenwood TS-2000 & signalink

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4WDM

Kenwood TS-2000 & signalink

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi all

I cannot get any transmit output when using my TS-2000X with my Signalink USB.
Receiving OK.
PTT light on Signalink come on but RF out put from radio.

Checked cable connections: OK
Checked jumpers inside Signalink: OK
Checked correct sound card speaker, mic selected selected on high settings.

On the Signalink Rig control page it is asking for a "com port." How can I find out which port it is connected to? I cannot see it listed in Device Manager. On the ICOM 756PRO the "alternative PTT" method worked, but it does not work with this rig.

Please remember I am a computer-challenged semi-geriatric when replying :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Re: Kenwood TS-2000 & signalink

Post by VK4WDM »

Solved it. :D

Although it looked and felt OK, the contact between the PTT jumper wire and the socket was bad probably due to a bit of crap or corrosion (two years old). Careful cleaning with a fine probe and contact cleaner fixed it. Had to be very careful because the contacts in the sockets are fragile.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Glad to hear you sorted it Wayne! :clap:

I was going to offer some (non-Signalink based) advice as I have a TS2000X but seems you're on top of things! 8)

They're still a bloody good rig 14 yrs down the track! :lol:
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Andy

Yes it was a bit obscure. The connecters are fragile so too much wriggling can break them - bit of a design fault in the interface which is otherwise excellent.

Yes, enjoying the TS-2000. It is the X model with the 23cm module so I have all my bands in one box. I don't think the on-board tuner is as good as the IC-756PRO and it won't tune my multiband vertical on a couple of bands but that was easily solved with an outboard tuner.

What about over-heating problems with the TS-2000 on digital modes? Is the in-built fan enough or do I need to add extra cooling? With the Icom I had to sit it on a lap top cooling pad and use a couple of external cooling fans blowing in the vents.

Wayne VK4WDM
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

VK4WDM wrote:Solved it. :D

Although it looked and felt OK, the contact between the PTT jumper wire and the socket was bad probably due to a bit of crap or corrosion (two years old). Careful cleaning with a fine probe and contact cleaner fixed it. Had to be very careful because the contacts in the sockets are fragile.

Wayne VK4WDM
Glad to hear you have it sorted. After a recent laptop upgrade I no longer have an inbuilt COM port for the PTT interface, so I took the plunge on a USB SIgnalink to feed my TS2000 and FT817. Very pleased with the build quality and simplicity of operation.

What I have found on my TS2000X is the Signalink RX level control needs to be at max, and the WSJT RX gain up about 80% to get a 0dB operating level. I'm interested to know what your receive level is.

--
Wayne ZL2BKC
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

VK4WDM wrote:Hi Andy

<snip>

What about over-heating problems with the TS-2000 on digital modes? Is the in-built fan enough or do I need to add extra cooling? With the Icom I had to sit it on a lap top cooling pad and use a couple of external cooling fans blowing in the vents.

Wayne VK4WDM
G'day Wayne,

Have not had any overheating problems with the 2000X. The fan noise can be a tad intrusive at times tho'. I believe some US hams replaced the original fan with a "Stealth" fan...IIRC details, sources etc. can be found on the Yahoo groups TS-2000 site.
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

ZL2BKC wrote:
What I have found on my TS2000X is the Signalink RX level control needs to be at max, and the WSJT RX gain up about 80% to get a 0dB operating level. I'm interested to know what your receive level is.

--
Wayne ZL2BKC
You have probably already done this but in my set up I need to have the Signalink volume set to max in the PC's volume control panel.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Wayne ZL2BKC

On most bands I only have the Signalink RX gain at about the 9 o'clock position and the JT65 sliders at the one third setting because a any more gain gives me overwhelming noise (I have a vertical antenna). I can use a bit more gain on 10 and 12m.

Having said that, I am no expert in digital modes and my settings are probably not optimum. I need to have a careful read of the literature and set aside a decent bit of time to peak everything up.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

This might be of interest to signalink owners

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/ ... -mods.html
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Lou

Thank you for the link. I have had no issues with my Signalink at all and use it for all modes - really just plug and play :clap: So impressed that I brought another one for my portable station.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZGC

Post by VK3ZGC »

More exciting insight to the device!

http://owenduffy.net/blog/?p=2501

Gary
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Re: Kenwood TS-2000 & Signalink

Post by VK4UH »

Has anyone successfully configured TWO Signalinks running simultaneously via separate USB ports from different radios? The Signalink manual suggests this is possible.

I have been unsuccessful trying with two incidences of WSJT, two Signalinks and two radios in Win 7 Pro OS. The laptop works perfectly with either unit BUT selects its "preferred" source when two are connected together. There is doubtless a fix using the Options/station parameter screen in WSJT but I haven't got there yet. Has anyone already invented this wheel"

Kevin VK4UH
vk4uh@wia.org.au
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Has anyone successfully configured TWO Signalinks running simultaneously via separate USB ports from different radios? The Signalink manual suggests this is possible.

I have been unsuccessful trying with two incidences of WSJT, two Signalinks and two radios in Win 7 Pro OS. The laptop works perfectly with either unit BUT selects its "preferred" source when two are connected together. There is doubtless a fix using the Options/station parameter screen in WSJT but I haven't got there yet. Has anyone already invented this wheel"

Kevin VK4UH
vk4uh@wia.org.au
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4UH wrote:Has anyone successfully configured TWO Signalinks running simultaneously via separate USB ports from different radios? The Signalink manual suggests this is possible.

Kevin VK4UH
vk4uh@wia.org.au
several ways of solving it including Qos but this might help understand why you have the current result http://www.askvg.com/how-to-permanently ... k-manager/
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Yes I have 2 setup. They show up as 2 seperate devices to pick from in the sound card set up.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney