Air powered tennis ball antenna launcher - legal?

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4ABD
Forum Novice

Re: Air powered tennis ball antenna launcher - legal?

Post by VK4ABD »

VK2FABS wrote: The volume and weight of a field trip has just been doubled. Shame most of those discount toy helicopters from markets and shopping centres don't have enough lifting power.
You should be able to lift 1 kg easily with any of the hobby grade 450 size quads. Sub $500 dollars.
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

VK4ABD wrote:Sub $500 dollars.
Wow! I was thinking of double digit outlay. :o

Bushcraft slingshot might be the go instead.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2FABS wrote: Wow! I was thinking of double digit outlay. :o

Bushcraft slingshot might be the go instead.
yup .leather /cloth flap and some good cord does wonders
VK4ABD
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ABD »

Lol. Just think of it as the price of legal compliance :)
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Have we really become a nation of hysterical bed wetters ?

Surely common sense would prevail... but maybe not...
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3PCW

Post by VK3PCW »

What about something like this?
http://www.arbormaster.com.au/shop/arbo ... udget-kit/

I was thinking of getting one of these to fly wire antennas up into tall timber.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

VK3PCW wrote:What about something like this?
http://www.arbormaster.com.au/shop/arbo ... udget-kit/

I was thinking of getting one of these to fly wire antennas up into tall timber.
100 feet ... you can do the same and more with a fishing rod and sinker which is probably in your shed right now?

By the way, the quad copter rules summary a few posts back ("As long as you keep them under 400ft and a certain distance from people, buildings and aerodromes you are OK.") are wrong. Read the CASA pamphlet (available on-line) about model aircraft carefully and understand what the terms mean ...
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

I can highly recommend the Big Shot, it's a lot more accurate and powerful than the fishing line/sinker combo.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Big shot looks like a decent toy however it's still expensive , it's entirely possible to buy or make a y shaped rubber powered driver from a local Sunday markey for under $15.00
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Ignorance is bliss

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4TS wrote:Have we really become a nation of hysterical bed wetters ?

Surely common sense would prevail... but maybe not...

I am sure if you pointed one at someone you would get in the s**t
I am pretty sure if u tried to bring in a catapult you would lose it at customs.

No I think some look at risk factors and common sense
others just stumble around in ignorance.

As for drones near airports check out CASAS 5KM exclusion zone on the 747 flight into Illawarra this weekend.
You cannot operate any aircraft within 5nM of an instrument approach procedure for one.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3PCW

Post by VK3PCW »

VK4EA wrote:I can highly recommend the Big Shot, it's a lot more accurate and powerful than the fishing line/sinker combo.
Well my aim with the line/sinker combo is pretty damn average at the best of times. I did try using a hammer tied to a bit of a rope, after getting about three hammers stuck in forks of trees I gave up on this idea }:[
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Just reinforcing the Big Shot, you buy a couple of the lead shot filled bags, and use the spectra braid as the messenger. Take your time to unsure the spectra is not tangled, take aim and release. The bag will go exactly where you point, and given you clear the fork by a margin it will neatly fall to the ground as the spectra line slips very easily over branches, and the bag weighs enough to pull the weight of the line up and down. Untie the bag and haul your halyard over the branch. We easily get dipoles 35-40 metres off the ground in a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

ZL1RS wrote:
By the way, the quad copter rules summary a few posts back ("As long as you keep them under 400ft and a certain distance from people, buildings and aerodromes you are OK.") are wrong. Read the CASA pamphlet (available on-line) about model aircraft carefully and understand what the terms mean ...
Not to argue the point but what I said is a summary and is correct.

For completeness here is the full story:
◦You may NOT fly closer than 30m to vehicles, boats, buildings that are not on YOUR private property or you must have explicit permission from the private property owner.
◦You are NOT allowed to fly over any populated areas such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks or sports ovals where there is a game on
◦You may NOT operate within a RADIUS of 5.5km of any aerodrome, airfield, airport, seaplanes taking off or landing, helicopter landing sites
◦You may ONLY operate during DAYLIGHT
◦You may NOT fly above 400ft (123m)
◦You may NOT fly FPV
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

VK2JDH wrote: - quote="ZL1RS"

By the way, the quad copter rules summary a few posts back ("As long as you keep them under 400ft and a certain distance from people, buildings and aerodromes you are OK.") are wrong. Read the CASA pamphlet (available on-line) about model aircraft carefully and understand what the terms mean .../quote

Not to argue the point but what I said is a summary and is correct.

For completeness here is the full story:
◦You may NOT fly closer than 30m to vehicles, boats, buildings that are not on YOUR private property or you must have explicit permission from the private property owner.
◦You are NOT allowed to fly over any populated areas such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks or sports ovals where there is a game on
◦You may NOT operate within a RADIUS of 5.5km of any aerodrome, airfield, airport, seaplanes taking off or landing, helicopter landing sites
◦You may ONLY operate during DAYLIGHT
◦You may NOT fly above 400ft (123m)
◦You may NOT fly FPV
What is your source and why does it conflict with CASA'a own Advisory Circular regarding model aircraft?
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

That is a leaflet outlining the MAAA rules which apply to its members and are more stringent than the actual CASA regulations (MAAA say so on their web site). Note the wording of the 4th rule about height (conditional) and the fifth rule about proximity to airports ("should not" rather than 'must not').

Try the CASA Advisory Circular for model aircraft ... http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/ ... 101c03.pdf ... for a more accurate explanation of the current regulations rather than the MAAA rules.
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

Just make a class 18 PVC launcher... use a 24v AC solenoid, Keep it for your own use, do not misuse it, nor let kids "have some fun" with it.

I have lots of decent low band antennas on my 2 acres, all held up with the use of 50' plus high, gum trees. No metal tower used!!! Resulting in huge cost savings as you can appreciate.

My launcher is constructed in a "U" shape using a 40mm ID "barrel", about 1.2m in length, then an elbow and reducers to mate up with the solenoid. reducers and another 90 degree elbow into a 600mm length of class 18 40mm ID "air chamber" .
I grabbed a pressure gauge from my buggered $99 bunnings air compressor, and carefully tapped a thread into the "air Chamber" to affix the gauge( use PVC glue for 100 percent safe seal) . I also attached a brass valve stem so as to "fill" the chamber with air. (got that from a Bridgestone tyre centre) USE NEW SOLVENT AND GLUE, and stick it all together. leave it for a day then test it.

I pumped it up to 120 PSI in an area where the was no danger to me or anyone else, nor any property.
Leave it like that for an hour. If all is good after an hour, the integrity of the launcher has been established.

I NEVER exceed 100 psi, so it "should" be 100 percent safe, But ALWAYS wear safety glasses etc, when handling the launcher to minimise any injuries in case something should go wrong.
Forget USELESS tennis balls, I made my "projectiles" using eye bolts and washers then a nut to hold the projectile firm. Then the outside of the washers are wrapped in electrical tape to make the outside diameter a reasonably tight fit in the "barrel". The end result is a projectile with a reasonable amount of weight to allow the utility cord to make it to the ground after shooting it over , or through the tree.
Use is made of bunnings "utility cord", as this has proven to be the best way so far to to get my non conductive guying material over or through the trees.
Fishing line and builders line is a pain in the a*** as it tangles etc. Always use a clean bucket to carefully put the utility cord into, so that it doesn't become tangled or caught in weeds etc if left on the ground.( doing this saved me that much time!!!!)
I am sharing this info for the easiest way (from my research, practice and outcomes) to get those wire antennas up off the ground.
I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for misuse of this information.

Trust me, after at least 3 years of experimentation, this works, and works well...
Using my launcher, I have a full sized 160m 1/2 dipole @ at least 50'(not an inverted Vee, but flat), full-wave 80m loop, a 40m full-wave delta loop and various other dipoles up and running here.
Happy to send pictures, so email me direct if you want any more information.

73, and be safe.
John McRae, VK5PO / VK5SIX