Multiple Callsigns

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2FAK

Multiple Callsigns

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Just curious, there are a number of members that show more than 1 callsign, and I was wondering is this just a heads up to people that may remember the old one,that you now have a new callsign, or is it you have 2 or more calls and pay renewal for all of them....costly exercise....?

John
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Multiple Callsigns

Post by VK3HJ »

I held the callsign VK5HJ as well as my current call about 20 years ago, as I was travelling back and forth to visit my parents.
After a while I decided to append "/portable five" rather than pay two licence fees.
So I did not renew the VK5 call.
I was doing some checking the other day, and I found one Amateur Operator with three Amateur licences, plus a Scientific licence and and Outpost licence!
I choose to support the Government with the payment of only one licence fee, thankyou!
Luke VK3HJ
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

Who cares how many callsigns a person has? Any more than one is a waste of money in my opinion,
But some people like to have more... Why? ? ?....

who knows.. is it an inadequacy? Vanity?? being "Wanky" or all three? or some other reason that I cannot think of?

Maybe they use One callsign for certain Bands etc.

Maybe they want lots of DXCC certs on the shack wall...

If someone has multiple callsigns, that is their prerogative, and why should we worry?

They are WASTING their OWN money

I guess the VK's in the eastern states get pissed off if someone has a few of those sort after TWO LETTER calls.

73 John
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

One callsign costs enough dollars these days, I had three at one time, and when the fees kept going up I reverted to this one. One of the locals just up the road from me had five callsigns that I knew of a few years back, four personal and one for his repeater, each to their own. Never bothered to ask him why all the callsigns. Was told once that he had two particular callsigns to stop someone else getting them, a private feud.

When I was travelling about I held six valid callsigns at one time, I remember fondly back when the annual licence fee on Nauru cost me just $2-00 a year to keep C21JH valid... :)
VK8MS
Forum Novice

Post by VK8MS »

HI Guys,
Many have multiple calls like in my case as I have two station locations as in my home & one at my business as I have Amateur radio links like IRLP etc and a HF/6 remote link, I was required to have a licence thats stipulates the location, this was at the request of ACA now ACMA which is to allow them to locate interfernce if caused at the correct address EG my VK8SIX call is registerd to my coconut grove address so this would allow them to utilise their data base of the licences held in the area if any issues arose.

Regards,
Mark - VK8MS
0417 270111
Mark Sellers - VK8MS
0417 270111
PH57kp - Darwin N.T.
IRLP 6343
VK3GCP

Post by VK3GCP »

I hold 2 callsigns. One is VK3GCP, which is my primary call sign I use. The other is VK3BDV. The reason I hold this is because back in the 40's, this call belonged to my great-grandfather (dec). I felt I should keep it in the family.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I have noticed lately there are a lot of Two letter VK2 operators with multiple two letter callsigns? I really do think it should be outlawed by the WIA as they process the callsign allocation so that Advanced amateurs especially in VK2, 3 and 4 can actualy get a 2 letter callsign. I think it is a pretty greedy, selfish thing having multiple two letter callsigns and also prevents others from obtaining them.

I only have one callsign... thats it.......

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Multiple Callsigns

Post by VK2FABS »

Ah! The "aliases" and identities on the airwaves before the Internet age. LOL
Weiyun VK2FABS
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

Humm, you guys have to pay for you ham call signs. We stopped that over here some time ago.

I recently obtained a second call so I now have my old ZL3THQ, which Ive had for 44 years, and My new ZL3RC which Im still getting used to.
From memory it cost me a passport photo and $50 and it was done by the NZART not a government dept. well it is but the NZART do it for you.
So now my primary call is ZL3THQ and my secondary call is ZL3RC.

I pay $90 to belong to the NZART and this is one reason why.

Cheers

Roger. ZL3RC
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
VK3DQ

Post by VK3DQ »

Hi Folks

Well I have three callsigns, VK3DQ my normal operating call , VK4WV as my daughter is in QLD and we visit from time to time and I hope to set up a station at her QTH and M0GJF because one day I would like to make a trip to the UK and also UK callsigns are for life and free of charge , you just e-mail them very five years to let them know you are still alive :mrgreen:

Best 73 John
ZL3PX
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3PX »

Wow don't think I would like to be a ham in Australia so much agro
I have a secondary callsign for when I visit Antarctica ZL5SB as well as my primary callsign ZL3PX all done by out national Body NZART
ZL3PX
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3PX »

Also like Roger ZL3RC I pay my $90 per year to NZART and get quality service, even to approaching councils for" tower consents "NZART are brilliant
Geoff ZL3PX,ZL5SB,ZK6EXA