WSPR has restored my faith in AR

WSPR discussion
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: WSPR has restored my faith in AR

Post by VK3HJ »

VK4DU wrote: So, only CW operators are real amateurs, eh?
That is not what I wrote or implied.
You choose to misrepresent me.
Seems to be a common theme here.

Luke VK3HJ
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

VK2KRR wrote: Luke, Ive been hearing K7FL, KJ4YBS, KH6UL, PA0O, PA0A, nearly every night past week.
That is interesting Leigh, but nothing new there for me.
I know there are certain times of year that are best for certain paths on 160 m. For example, I would "expect" to be able to work North America most evenings starting around September or October through to March or April, with occasional openings through winter, but most NA ops give up over their summertime.
Europe is best before sunrise around January through to March. Most mornings, not all, and the bands seems to be entirely unpredictable using the usual indicators such as solar and geomagnetic indices.
Can WSPR be set up to give an alert to wake me up, for example, when Europe is coming in? That could save me some sleep, on those mornings I get up early and only work a few Russians! I do like my sleep...
Then again, it could take some of the "fun" out of the chase.
But I really do like my sleep!
Luke VK3HJ
DXCC - CW, Phone AND Digital.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Luke, I'm sure some clever coder could come up with something to do what you want there. Maybe a challenge for somebody so inclined??

As I sit here right now (fell asleep on the sofa :oops: :oops: ), 20m is full of WSPR signals from EU, slowly building. Nothing on SSB at this stage that I can hear, but I'm only running a 1/4 wave vertical. One day I'll get a 160m antenna up.... WSPR consistently shows up things that are unexpected, with sometimes short but reasonably strong openings on various bands at the most unexpected times to unusual parts of the globe.

On 2m+, WSPR has shown that the Bight path is open a whole lot more frequently than previously thought, AND much later in the season too. Then there is the inland path across NSW that some negative old farts assured me was dead in winter when I lived in Sydney.....

As for Owen's comments, it's really about horses for courses. Your comments indeed appear negative and rather condescending. While you may desire much more specific/consistent data which stands up to more rigorous analysis, the nature of HF and a lot of the operators there are going to present way too many variables for what you want (so where's the trainspotter?). However on VHF+, where there are smaller number of operators, with known station parameters, then I think it has much more merit. Meanwhile, I'm happy to see what my very modest HF antennas can do while the computers are on anyway doing other things. Non-WSPR people are also learning the value of the mode and checking into the site in order to determine band conditions.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK3HJ wrote:
That is not what I wrote or implied.
You choose to misrepresent me.
Seems to be a common theme here.

Luke VK3HJ

Sigh....

You come on to this thread and say, quote (edited):

I was spotted in VK2, VK3 and VK6. Big deal...
My interest lasted two nights.

(snip)

You'll find me on CW.

unquote

Now, if that is not elitist clap trap, I don't know what is. AND, when I call you on it, you get even MORE condescending....

(shakes head, slowly...)
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Topic now closed to prevent further disharmony.

Place nicely people.
Leading horses to water since 2005.