Choice in components and specs for new ham

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Choice in components and specs for new ham

Post by VK2FABS »

New license and getting ready to start some homebrew projects in the field. Went online to search for components for antenna build, connector cables, miscellaneous bits and pieces and encountered the following questions.

1) Choice of connector standard (HF, 2M and up to 70cm bands): I note that PL259 UHF connectors are common in this space. Is there a good reason? Stronger? More weather resistant? I am thinking of standardising on BNCs for my equipments as it's smaller, lighter and more convenient with my planned equipments (largely portable). Is it a problem with this plan? Given my home base circumstances, I am also not likely to be leaving my cabling (or even antenna) outdoors as a permanent installation.

2) BNC vs BNC: I note that there are BNC connectors with 50 ohm spec while others are unmentioned. How critical is this? Reading up, I note there are differences b/n the two. But places like Jaycar just sell BNC plugs.

3) Coax cable quality: I understand that RG58 is 50 ohm and the specs are compatible for the frequency ranges I am looking at. Are there quality variations within RG58 cables? Is the RG58 carried by Jaycar of decent quality or should I try to source better and keep it as a stock for future?

4) RG174 thin coax: Given that I want to carry my gears for portable use, is there anything negative to use thinner and lighter RG174 coax instead of RG58 as the antenna feed line?

5) Apart from Jaycar, are there other retail suppliers for these bits and pieces here in Sydney that one can recommend?

Thanks for your help on these questions.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Re: Choice in components and specs for new ham

Post by VK5TX »

Try http://www.rfsupplier.com for connectors
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

WES in Ashfield will likely have everything you need. You will get a range of opinions re quality. Buy something and get on air would be one appropriate course of action and don't get bogged down in the opinions of others, including mine!
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2HRX wrote:....You will get a range of opinions re quality. Buy something and get on air would be one appropriate course of action and don't get bogged down in the opinions of others, including mine!
x Eleventy
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks for the reminder on that online store and WES. Completely forgotten about WES despite regular drive pasts. Last time I was there was 2 decades ago.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

1) Choice of connector standard (HF, 2M and up to 70cm bands): I note that PL259 UHF connectors are common in this space. ON 2M I USE TYPE N but rigs use PL259 so u get the Teflon plugs to be sure not bakellite

Is there a good reason? Stronger? More weather resistant? Less Loss higher power

I am thinking of standardising on BNCs for my equipments as it's smaller, lighter and more convenient with my planned equipments (largely portable). Is it a problem with this plan? Given my home base circumstances, I am also not likely to be leaving my cabling (or even antenna) outdoors as a permanent installation.

2) BNC vs BNC: Itelco put 600w thru BNC at 90 MHZ and when they blow they always blow.

I note that there are BNC connectors with 50 ohm spec while others are unmentioned. (75 ohm bnc exist for video)

How critical is this?
VERY
Reading up, I note there are differences b/n the two. But places like Jaycar just sell BNC plugs.

3) Coax cable quality: I understand that RG58 is 50 ohm and the specs are compatible for the frequency ranges I am looking at. Are there quality variations within RG58 cables? Is the RG58 carried by Jaycar of decent quality or should I try to source better and keep it as a stock for future?

GET MIL SPEC theres 58 and theres 58 (and 59)

4) RG174 thin coax: Given that I want to carry my gears for portable use, is there anything negative to use thinner and lighter RG174 coax instead of RG58 as the antenna feed line? (HIGH LOSS FACTOR AVOID)
Last edited by VK3ZAZ on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2FABS wrote:New license and getting ready to start some homebrew projects in the field. Went online to search for components for antenna build, connector cables, miscellaneous bits and pieces and encountered the following questions.

1) Choice of connector standard (HF, 2M and up to 70cm bands): I note that PL259 UHF connectors are common in this space. Is there a good reason? Stronger? More weather resistant? I am thinking of standardising on BNCs for my equipments as it's smaller, lighter and more convenient with my planned equipments (largely portable). Is it a problem with this plan? Given my home base circumstances, I am also not likely to be leaving my cabling (or even antenna) outdoors as a permanent installation.

You'll find most people standardise on PL-259 for good reason:

- They're easy to solder/crimp onto your coax
- They're readily available at decent price and reasonable quality
-They have reasonable reliability and loss characteristics

2) BNC vs BNC: I note that there are BNC connectors with 50 ohm spec while others are unmentioned. How critical is this? Reading up, I note there are differences b/n the two. But places like Jaycar just sell BNC plugs.

See above

Run the LOWEST LOSS coax cable you can afford and that is practical for your situation. RG-174 is good for VERY short runs, such as patching in small amplifiers, baluns, etc., but at over 10dB loss for 30m, you wouldn't even consider it as your main transmission line.

4) RG174 thin coax: Given that I want to carry my gears for portable use, is there anything negative to use thinner and lighter RG174 coax instead of RG58 as the antenna feed line?

See above. Just use RG-58

5) Apart from Jaycar, are there other retail suppliers for these bits and pieces here in Sydney that one can recommend?

Lots of suppliers on the web, eBay, etc. Also Andrews Communications in Western Sydney

Thanks for your help on these questions.
STOP overthinking everything and do it.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK2FABS wrote:2) BNC vs BNC: I note that there are BNC connectors with 50 ohm spec while others are unmentioned. How critical is this? Reading up, I note there are differences b/n the two. But places like Jaycar just sell BNC plugs.
Hi Weiyun,

If you find any true 75 ohm BNC males, you will find the centre pin is thinner than that for the 50 ohm male. If you use a 75 ohm male into a 50 ohm socket, the centre pin may not mate reliably. So... Go for those labelled as 50 ohm, over those that are not specified, if you can.

Being a foundation licensee, I'm not sure worrying about the fact that they blow when served with 600 watts should list high on your priority list...

Barry
VK3BJM
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks folks for all the answers! I am clear now.
VK3DXE wrote:STOP overthinking everything and do it.
Very good advice! But there's not too much I can do right now with just a HT. Here picking up detailed knowledge, planning and making purchase decisions. The day of "just do it" will come when I have all the bits and pieces. In the past, uni department's electronic technicians looked after all these basic component spec issues and we just use the standard list of items in stock. Now doing it all, the variety of just one component is enough to confuse, let alone compatibility issues.
Last edited by VK2FABS on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

VK3BJM wrote:Being a foundation licensee, I'm not sure worrying about the fact that they blow when served with 600 watts should list high on your priority list...
LOL there Barry!

I suspect I'll die of neighbourly hate on 600W before I blow anything. In any case, took a look at the Standard Licence syllabus earlier and see there's a lot of overlap with Foundation material. So I've just purchased RES' Standard Licence course material online and hopefully it won't take too much time to complete the study. Maybe there's hope for 100W yet!
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

Go for Advanced, Weiyung. There is so little difference between the syllabus for Advanced vs Standard that there is little point in enriching WIA & ACMA three times. Don't believe me? Take the trial exams here:
https://www.amateurradio.com.au/licence/standard
https://www.amateurradio.com.au/licence/advanced

You don't sound as though you are scared off by a bit of regs & theory.

John VK4TJ
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

VK4TJ wrote:Go for Advanced, Weiyung. There is so little difference between the syllabus for Advanced vs Standard that there is little point in enriching WIA & ACMA three times. Don't believe me? Take the trial exams here:
https://www.amateurradio.com.au/licence/advanced

You don't sound as though you are scared off by a bit of regs & theory.
Thanks for the confidence booster John! Really appreciated and thanks for those links. I did briefly search for trial exams on WIA's site but didn't find them and hence decided to just book myself in RES' Standard course. Maybe should have waited a bit. Yes, the theory side of F course were largely what I self taught back in middle high school and a brief look at the Standard syllabus suggested that it's largely covered by my knowledge when I got to uni. Obviously there were still plenty of AR field specific knowledge that I need to pick up but didn't look difficult. When I looked at the Advanced course material, I get a sense that it'll take a lot more work (time) to complete. I am hesitant on that as at the end of the day, this is a "play", not a family or work duty. As such, I don't want to get too ambitious and get torpedoed by over-commiting my time. The carrot of CEPT and the possibility to operate O/Ss was another driver. Maybe Advanced can be for after retirement, if not earlier. See how I go and wish me luck! :beer:
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK2FABS wrote: I did briefly search for trial exams on WIA's site but didn't find them and hence decided to just book myself in RES' Standard course.
Give these a shot:

Standard

Advanced

https://www.amateurradio.com.au/licence/advanced/
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks Peter. John has also provided those links. Passed Standard without any study. ;) Advanced will need a bit more work.
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK5RC

Post by VK5RC »

I found the jump from Foundation to Standard bigger than Standard to Advanced, my advice is keep going while its all still fresh in your mind.
As to the original question, unfortunately you end up with draws full of stuff, BNC to PL259 cables, N to SMA adaptors in all gender combinations etc, you can never find what you need now, so you make up another cable then later you find what you were looking for! HiHi.
I try to stick with N if I can, but it has limitations (as they all do).
Well done re standard pass.
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Sorry, need to clarify. "Passed" the trial Standard exam. Not the real thing. That'll need to come later after I've "studied" the material. :beer:
Weiyun VK2FABS